IGNORED

Sturdy bed suggestions

Pooks

DS has officially trashed his bed for the second time, if one more slat goes he’ll be on the floor.

Can anyone recommend a single bed that can’t be trashed? I’m thinking not slats again :ninja:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pooks

• Rosie28

• Princess Peach

• Ron Swanson

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried one with metal slats? I would be hesitant to get a one of those mattress bases on wheels, if he can trash slats he could trash one of those!!

A mattress on top of a solid base, rather than in a bed frame, maybe Pooks?

I was thinking that but I haven’t had that kind before and wasn’t sure if they could suffer the kind of indignities that slats cannot 😂

Princess Peach

Do you have space for a trampoline in the yard?

Just reading that back - not for him to sleep on, but to direct him to for jumping on instead of the bed.

Do you have space for a trampoline in the yard?

We have one. And an indoor one. Indoor and outdoor swings. Exercise mats. Bean bags. Crash pad. He does get under the bed and push the slats up which doesn’t help things.

ETA. And he’s just rough with things. Picks at them. Pulls at bits. Wedges things into gaps. He’s pulled the middle support leg off because it looked like it might bend sideways and be a nice place to hang something.

Bunkers beds are pretty much indestructible. I know people who have had them for 30 years.

The low line looks amazing. Maybe he could get in under it without feeling like playing with the slats is a good idea.

Bunkers beds are pretty much indestructible. I know people who have had them for 30 years.

The low line looks amazing. Maybe he could get in under it without feeling like playing with the slats is a good idea.

You could also put a sheet under the slats so he can’t see them- might be less tempting?

Guest BusbyWilkes

Check out gumtree etc for Bunkers beds. Because they last so well they are often on-sold still in great condition but at a much more affordable price.

Guest BusbyWilkes

That one with drawers would be great- he won’t be able to get under and yay for storage!

That one with drawers would be great- he won’t be able to get under and yay for storage!

Yes but those poor drawers 😆

I’ve never heard of that brand before we’re definitely looking at it. In the meantime he’s been told if he breaks another slat he’ll be on the floor till we can afford a new bed 🤷🏻‍♀️

The solid bed bases, do they ever come with a cover of some sort? Google doesn’t understand what I’m talking about.

Pooks as much as you might joke about the floor, could he actually prefer that? I know it gets cold down there, so maybe an extra mattress underneath to get him off the floor more?

Ignore me if that’s a stupid suggestion.

Pooks as much as you might joke about the floor, could he actually prefer that? I know it gets cold down there, so maybe an extra mattress underneath to get him off the floor more?

Ignore me if that’s a stupid suggestion.

No it’s not stupid, I’ve thought about it, I think this will possibly happen for a few months. But I also want him to have a bed. I think we’ve bought cheap beds and that with something more solid he could tinker around without destroying them.

The solid bed bases, do they ever come with a cover of some sort? Google doesn’t understand what I’m talking about.

You mean a valance maybe?

Ohhhhh yes 😆 thanks!

My sons bed is hand made by my dad, strong real wood base slates, he still snapped one a little, hanging upside down doing some weird trapeze move.

At 13 he is too lazy for that now so good in one way

Sorry no help but guess I am trying to say no bed is kid proof :)

Not helpful if you don't know handy people, but my first big bed was built by my grandfather(a carpenter) and it was a wooden frame with a solid base, mattress sat on it (tiny lip to keep the mattress on it properly) sort of a bit like those car beds you see with the solid sides.

That lasted YEARS!

I would probably use a standard well built slat bed (buy second hand to save money). Then take the slats off and replace with plywood boards screwed into place. Drill some holes in the board to allow the mattress to ventilate.

Or use a mattress on the floor.

Advertisement