IGNORED

Discovery Garden - tips and tricks

Ozgirl

So my mum shops mainly at woolies and my dad is a bee keeper so we are excited about this year's discovery garden.

Except annoyingly they don't mark when is the best time to sow the seeds, so I thought a thread would be helpful for those who dont have much of a green thumb.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ozgirl

• Babetty

• Mumrocks

• Basil

Top Posters In This Topic

No, because it varies so much based on climate.

Tomatoes and strawberries are traditionally a summer fruit but in many parts of Qld, they do best in winter. So, it depends on the climate of the region.

No, because it varies so much based on climate.

Interesting cause magazine's like better homes and gardens can give a guide.

i know my mum knows that if say B&HG says plant in Sydney in July, she should plant in August,

So a guide might be nice,

Thanks!

So I've planted my mixed lettuce at the wrong time (Brisbane summer) but the seeds spouted in 2 days! I'll just give everything enough water and hope for the best!

Thanks!

So I've planted my mixed lettuce at the wrong time (Brisbane summer) but the seeds spouted in 2 days! I'll just give everything enough water and hope for the best!

Brisbane’s weather is great for growing most things, most of the year.

With lettuce, you can probably plant it out in the shade because there’s so much indirect sunlight. Keep the water up and pick while still young and tender. It will bolt to seed with this heat and go bitter.

Good that I checked if there is a thread on these...

I think I have all the flowers in the list in triples. And apart from pansies and aster I haven’t heard of the others. Well, I used to grow flox as a kid but they were not annuals so must be something different.

They are all so tall now in their tiny “pots’”. Do I repot them to a pot? In the the garden soil for the slugs, crows and possums? Help. Thanks!

Does anyone else’s “pots” and soil from the tablets gets covered in mould? that’s a lot like moss covers everything but white.

One tip: don’t let your toddler remove the pieces of paper with the plant name!

It's written on the paper the seeds are in, as well as the box.

So turns out what I thought was paper was the seeds! Several got tossed out before my older child pointed it out

Our pots are mouldy too. Ate you meant to replant them? We only have tiny sprouts

Label says repotting in 4-5(?) weeks but if they have 8 sprouts that are 7 cm tall, they look very crowded.

Plus it is either replanting ( getting rid of mouldy pot) or binning the lot. So much mould near the area we eat! and kids keep the lot inside because one day they forgot to water and oregano pot became very light and was blown up on to the roof...

Thanks for replying that yours are mouldy too. I wondered if it was because we were in the area close to the bush and underground water was finding its way to the surface on every block in the area...

Don't worry about the mould, just replant into a bigger pot, leaving the plant in the original mouldy pot. It is meant to break down, it is biodegradable.

I would say if your seedlings are growing and your original pot is starting to decompose (which is what the mould is) then it's time to repot. The seedling will have a much better chance of surviving if you replant it directly in the old pot, don't try to remove it.

I just wanted to add, for those who are not gardeners:

Yes, they need re planting quite early.

You could plant into pots or into your garden.

Make sure you choose pots that have drainage.

Repot into potting mix, but be aware potting mix is low in nutrients. They will also need nutrients. Osmocote is a fairly failsafe way to provide nutrients.

Mould is normal! It's the biodegradable pot biodegrading.

Make sure they get plenty of sun. They should be out in the sun once repotted. Well at least some sun during the day, doesn't have to be all day. But they won't thrive indoors.

I wondered about keeping them in the biodegradable pot when repotting - wouldn't you want to break them up to give them more space, or do you just leave them in the little pot and weed out some of the weaker seedlings?

Advertisement