IGNORED

Plantation Shutters

Blizzy

We had some plantation shutters measured and installed by a local company in the upstairs of our home and ever since we paid the deposit in June last year it has been an absolute nightmare . Still waiting for the horror of the sliding ones they installed to be fixed.

Anyways, we have now nearly finished the renovation downstairs and I’ve had 6 other companies out to quote and the prices range from around $4k - $13k !

I’ve been looking at diyblinds (.com.au) and I’m seriously considering it. I know way more about the shutters since the dispute with my upstairs.

Has anyone done diy plantations and can give me any tips?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blizzy

• ineedmorecoffee

• Greatmum

• Noodlez

Top Posters In This Topic

ineedmorecoffee

We used diyblinds for one of our bedrooms (for plantation shutters) and I can highly recommend them. You can either measure/install it yourself or they can do it for you. We got them to do it as we’re not very handy with DIY.

I’m also thinking of using them to get curtains made for the other bedroom, bit of an unusual size layout for our windows so can’t just buy curtains from a store.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if you have made a decision with the shutters but I have recently gone down this path and it was a very stressful experience. If you decide to do it you need to be extremely precise with your measurements, a few mm out here or there can make a big difference. You need to be good at DIY and good with tools, good with levels and adjustments, its very difficult to make them sit and look right. Mine look okay as long as you don't look too close, some of them have different gaps at the top or bottom than others and some sag a little in the middle as they are heavy. Don't believe the websites that make out they are super easy and anyone can do it, its a lot harder than will have you believe.

On the positive side they are way cheaper to do yourself, I paid just over 2K to do our living area with 5 windows. I have 2 more rooms to do and I will be paying someone to measure and install them next time.

We ended up paying someone and install should be in a few weeks time.

We then only have the 2 spare bedrooms upstairs which are on the back of the house, we may do these as diy (but likely not 🤷🏼‍♀️😂)

Still in dispute about my sliding upstairs 😢 fair trading will be giving him until the end of this week tk respond.

I got spotlight to do my whole new house. They came out and measured and quoted. I got plantation shutters at the front of the house and white roller blinds in the rest of the house.

I recently used Wynstan and was really nervous because I read all the bad reviews. While mine were delayed by a couple of weeks the communication was good and the installer for the shutters was excellent. I think it was only slightly more than the diy option.

Advertisement