IGNORED

Do you park your car in your garage?

Ozgirl

I always reverse into all parks.

In my last house I had a double garage and my dad’s Prado could fit beside my Corolla plus I had two metal shelving units along a side wall, When dad wasn’t visiting the bikes would park in the second spot. We were one of a handful of houses in our small estate that had the cars in the garage, the large majority had both in the driveway and the garage filled with stuff.

We only have a carport in the house we’re renting while our build happens.

The new house will again have a double but I am planning to have the bikes in a small bike shed in the side yard. Will still have the metal units for tools and I’m getting a small hand mower I can hang on the wall so won’t need a shed for gardening equipment. When the kids get cars at least one will fit in beside me and the other behind us in the driveway.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ozgirl

• LemonMyrtle

• Jolly_F

• Kiwi Bicycle

Top Posters In This Topic

Dadwasathome

Our house was built in 1915 without a garage. Not sure whether they used a nearby livery or relied on the railway. The garage was added at the front in 1926 and, from what I can work out, the side driveway with carport at the top was out in but the previous owners around 1980.

A garage has always been on my home buying agenda, having lived I terraces and parking cars on the street prior to buying.

No and none of our neighbours do either! I have no idea why. Maybe we are a community of hoarders who fill up our garages with crap? Which is a problem because we live a block away from the beach and in summer we get parked out! First world problems :-)

LemonMyrtle

No and none of our neighbours do either! I have no idea why. Maybe we are a community of hoarders who fill up our garages with crap? Which is a problem because we live a block away from the beach and in summer we get parked out! First world problems :-)

We live opposite a school. If we don’t use our carport and driveway we also end up with nowhere to park. Luckily we have off street parking space for 3.5 cars. So we can even squeeze a tradespersons car in as well (they always rock up at school drop off time)

Silverstreak

No, DH has his workshop in the garage, so we park on the street. We also live opposite a school, luckily most of the other residents use their garages to park in, so it's not too bad.

Yes. Always. Unless weve borrowed a trailer and it needs to stay attached to the car overnight?

We have sheds in our yard for equipment and bikes etc go up on walls. If we had so much extra shit that it filled a double garage, I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night!

Sancti-claws

Of the 3 cars at our place, mine is the only one in the double garage - mainly because DH build a workroom in the other side! Mind you, we have ample storage as the double garage includes a large non-car space in the middle and there is also a toilet, dryer and loads of crap down there.

nom_de_plume

We don't have a garage. Our cars are parked in our driveway and a couple years ago we installed some shade sails above where we park to form a defacto carport, because we didn't want to deal with the time/expense of getting a permit to build an actual carport.

I know a fair number of people who convert to living area. New estates always demand garages, often double on the teeeny tinny blocks they sell, so people give up trying to get the right sized house and just used the forced garage space as a rumpus, meaning the teeny tiny street ends up looking like a messy bunnings carpark you need to slalem down. Not to mention garage sizes keep shrinking, how do you even fit 2 cars in most new double garages. When we built we wanted our cars in there, so the garage is taller and wider to fit the 4x4 with racks plus extra space inside to the side for storage and bikes (its 8.5m wide inside). Garages are awesome but volume builder house designs are extremely lacking

I have a carport in front of a large single car garage. I usually park under the carport in summer and in the garage in winter to avoid frost/ice.

Lots of workshops mentioned. What do people do in a home workshop? How often is it used?

Work on cars and other toys, build things, repair things and it’s used daily.

Silver Girl

But who said you have to have a garage at the font of your house dominating the facade? You can have a driveway down the side with a garage at the rear, or basement your garage so it's under your house with a ramp driveway coming up.

Plus resale value of not having a garage at all.

You need to either have a garage or a carport in a new build, it's up to you what you use it for.

Driveway down the side is a fairly inefficient use of land if it's a new build. Our council don't like the ones with a ramp from the street to a basement style - no idea why. I don't like them much myself, but at least they're a better use of the land.

It's getting a bit convoluted because choosing to not care whether a house had a garage was to do with my choice of a purchase - nothing to do with a new build, that was the comments following. I agree if someone's looking in an area where everything's new build, they'd expect cover.

If they want the $5m grollo style jobs around here they'd expect cover too, and lots of it. If they want a 100 year old $2.5m house, they might not get that choice. Plenty of BMWs and Mercedes around here left out in the weather. Driveway is as good as it gets for most older houses around here. Even further in, a driveway wouldn't necessarily come with a $2m house.

I agree with this. My small house would be worth around $2M and has no off street parking whatsoever, not even a driveway. I’m used to it now.

A friend's husband bought a new giant ute, a Ranger I think, and it's too big to fit in their single garage. So she gets the garage and he parks in front.

A friend's husband bought a new giant ute, a Ranger I think, and it's too big to fit in their single garage. So she gets the garage and he parks in front.

DHs work car is a ranger, it does just fit in the garage but not if I want to be able to get out of my car. So her gets the driveway and I get the garage.

Chocolate Addict

Yep. We have a 2 1/2 car garage... it is at least a metre wide on either side of the roller doors. We are a one car house and the rest is filled with crap, a fridge and deep freezer.

When we had 2 cars, mine was in the drive and one day a giant orb spider decided to move in to my car. I moved stuff around to get my car in the garage. lol

The size of the blocks in my area now are so tiny you couldn't put a drive up the side, you can barely fit a wheelie bin, if you are lucky.

We have a large block and do have a parking space on the side of the house, in the back yard technically as it is behind the big colourbond gates. We also have a massive drive way, most of the front yard, you can park at least 6 cars on it. I can drive straight into the garage and turn to drive straight on to the road,not reverse out.

A lot of houses in the newer parts of our estate also convert their garages to hair salons, nail salons etc..

My husband has all his junk in ours so we’ve never really used it as a garage. Which considering it’s the same size as the actual house is annoying!! (It’s 10m x 11m). He built shelving into as well so that stores some but it also stores all the camping stuff, the ride on lawn over, a huge amount of bee keeping equipment (which also bleeds into the he houses), a kayak, and generally he has tables set up for sorting out fishing stuff etc. drives me crazy as his junk clutters up the house too and we have no storage in the house. Oh and a chest freezer, old washing machine that does work, Engle, BBQ, generator... oh and a boat + trailers.

In saying that due to a peacock deciding it now lives on our block, and Him getting a new car, both cars are in the garage. It’s a tight fit. (The peacock has repeatedly attacked my car and scratched it. Peacocks are pretty but really really stupid).

Current l y we have no garage but a 5 bay shed. We put the cars in the 2 open bays but it's a pain to walk in the soaking/freezing rain to the house with armloads of shopping multiple times.

New place has garage going in. It's probably 2 1/2 wide? I'm so excited, it will NOT be filled with crap. I've already claimed the side closest to the inside door. Then we'll put another big shed up for the toys and general 'stuff'.

I don't now.

Always have before though. Bought a house a year ago and came from a large house with a three car garage and i lived alone there so always did so, loved being able to unpack the car anytime, walk into laundry and house or pack gradually.

Previously lived in a block of flat with a large single garage. Plenty of room with my car and getting out one side and lots of room in front. But it was a pain unpackaging, walking around the side, opening the side door, walking upstairs, unlocking the flat and repeat.

Loved the idea of a integral garage but when i bought i wanted an older cottage so not likely to find that. But when i found my house (1920s) it had been rebuilt and added rooms and a garage entered from next to the bathroom. That's what made me buy it. But i realised i'd never be able to use it for a car. It's a bit small for an medium small car - my eyesight not good enough in a narrow space so i don't think i'd ever be game to use it. But mostly because it's not a huge house and i have lots of stuff so was always going to need it for storage. So i have my freezer, metal shelving one side and a large old wardrobe which my great grandfather bought in the ship to Australia 110 years ago and when I get the rest of my stuff from storage there will be more cupboards and bookshelves. By then hopefully i shall be able to enter and exit that way. At the moment i'm still trying to unpack the last of the boxes.

I park my car against the garage door. It only just fits though not sure where my land ends as there are no fences and a very steep hand cut gutter - i have a little bridge to get up on for the car - also too high for me to step up the gutter. It is annoying now when it's getting a little chilly to deal with fogged car in the morning. But that's how it goes.

Although i'm only 4 houses from a school it's not that busy outside, they mostly park the next block.

We have a double garage, and I park mine in there. The other side we have some crap in there as DH parks his big ute in the driveway.

We have no garage, driveway, off street parking or shed. We have two storage units so if we had a garage I suspect no car could park there.

• 1 month later...

I park in ours on the left. DH stored crap in the right. DH used to park his car outside on the right hand side of the driveway. Until there was a hail warning and then he’d run around like a mad chook clearing out his side so he could move his car in. I love our garage and not having to unload groceries in the rain or get into a boiling hot car. First world problems.

I have a double garage with internal access, I park my car inside and DD parks her car outside. The other half of the garage is my home gym with treadmill, weights and TV for watching Netflix. I also have a second freezer and storage shelves.

Mine, yes, DH's and my work car, no. Only 1 fits on account of me refusing DH's request for a shed, so all that would be there is in the garage.

Advertisement