IGNORED

Do you park your car in your garage?

Ozgirl

my parents dont (haven't for most of my life - despite always having one)

And my friends are building a brand new custom build home and their car doesnt fit in it!

Im gobsmacked!!

We have inclimate weather here too. And there is house access from the garage. Why would you not want to park in your garage?

(I may or may not also be pissed at the 'no shoes' rule they have hinted at. It snows here! I want warm and supported feet!)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ozgirl

• LemonMyrtle

• Jolly_F

• Kiwi Bicycle

Top Posters In This Topic

When we had a car we didn't, no one I know does. All the garages I know of including ours is for storage

I have noticed in our unit complex cars are in garages but all the doors are open as the cars don't fit it them fully

I wish! We have a double garage, but one side is for the family bikes, lawn mower, workbench and tools etc and DH has his car on the other side.

My car, worth considerably less, is parked in the driveway. I dream of a day when both cars could go in the garage, but I doubt it will happen for some time.

We Always have. When we have a garage, which we don’t currently, but we do have a carport that I use, DH’s car is too wide for it though, but that’s not our fault, old house, old driveway. He can squish into it if a storm is coming, but then you can only get in from one side

Our old house we were one of the few that parked both cars in our garage. Most people had their double garage so full of junk they could only get 1 car in, or none. Often it was 1 car in the driveway, and 1-2 cars parked on the street. It made the estate a traffic nightmare. New estate, narrow roads, cars everywhere, ridiculous..

The problem is, new homes aren’t designed with inbuilt storage. Apparently built in wardrobes and shelves cost too much. And then the tiny backyards don’t have sheds, so everyone’s stuff ends up in the garage.

Although, that’s still not an excuse. We still managed to fit a spare fridge, shelving, 2 bikes, and 2 decent sized cars into our old garage. No idea what other people had in theirs.

Fruitmincepies

We have a carport for the first time in many years, it has a door straight to the house. I love it so much! Being able to get kids strapped into the car in the rain without getting wet is great. The car not getting covered in leaves from the neighbour’s tree is great (we loved the shade it gave the car, less so the leaves). I’m always surprised by the people who don’t use theirs.

Our neighbour, she doesn’t even park in her driveway. They don’t have a garage, or carport, but they only have 1 car, and yet she parks on the street every day. It’s so odd. It’s a giant twin cab Ute and I do wonder if she somehow accidentally bought herself a car that she can’t actually reverse, so she can’t park in the driveway or she would get stuck there.

Nope, car in the driveway. Garage is used as DHs workshop and storage area. Not concerned about safety as we live off the street in a cul de sac, and don’t get really adverse weather - would be quick to move it in at any mention of decent hail tho.

At my sydney property half of us have two car garages, and half dont.

About half of us two car garage people can use half out garage at least (I could fit two cars in I think)

The other half have so much crap in there I dont know if they can even reach the back!

I can't, it's where I keep all my crap :lol:

LOL, it seems to be a country thing!

Nah it’s not. In my last suburb people used their garages like extras lounge rooms, they had thumping wall mounted TVs and dining tables and just sat out there with the doors up for everyone to see... it was weird!!

I wish! We have a double garage, but one side is for the family bikes, lawn mower, workbench and tools etc and DH has his car on the other side.

My car, worth considerably less, is parked in the driveway. I dream of a day when both cars could go in the garage, but I doubt it will happen for some time.

At least half is getting used appropriately!

I can't, it's where I keep all my crap :lol:

LOL, it seems to be a country thing!

Nah it’s not. In my last suburb people used their garages like extras lounge rooms, they had thumping wall mounted TVs and dining tables and just sat out there with the doors up for everyone to see... it was weird!!

The neighbours on either side of my parents converted their garages into living space!

We park our cars in the garage, I love being able to get into and our of the car without worrying about the weather. We also have a no shoes rule for people who live here, guests are welcome to wear their shoes though (I lived in Japan and it turned me right off shoes inside, plus I like clean floors with crawling babies, let them get their immune system tested outdoors).

DH’s car is more expensive so it’s parked in our garage. Mine isn’t - I declared this to the insurance company & have to pay a slightly higher premium, which is OK.

Nope. It's full of crap, and anyway I'm a lazy sod who doesn't want to get out of the car and open the garage door etc.

Also it's a teeny garage and despite me driving a teeny car, my lack of depth perception makes me convinced I"m going to crash into the workbench at the end. I'm much happier parking my poor, grotty car in the driveway to be used as a bird latrine.

We have a 3 car garage attached to the house but there is no internal access.

Dh and DS cars are in the garage (newer cars). The third space has a kayak, shit and dryer lol. My car (older Prado that I love) is in the two car carport that I share with a trailer. We also have a massive shed out back that you would have to drive around the back (have let the neighbours shelter if a storm comes - not now because they fucked up our family during DD's latest episode - ha ha ha suckers, let the hail come!!!!. )

Joys of semi rural living ;)

Not at the moment. We have a two car garage that is half full of stuff and I could technically rearrange it to fit my car, but my kids are still at the fling the car door wide open stage so I’d rather have my doors saved from smashing into the brick walls. If we had a single garage door so I could drive into the centre of the garage and leave plenty of door space I’d park it inside

We park our cars in the garage, I love being able to get into and our of the car without worrying about the weather. We also have a no shoes rule for people who live here, guests are welcome to wear their shoes though (I lived in Japan and it turned me right off shoes inside, plus I like clean floors with crawling babies, let them get their immune system tested outdoors).

Yeah, I agree to slippers in the house! Love japan for that. But in Australia - its just shit. And most people who do I have tiled floors which just fuck my back!

We have a shed for the crap so there is room for cars. It also fits the upright freezer, the drink fridge.

There are 3 cars at our house, 1 never leaves the garage except for a quick spin due to it's value despite it's age.

The other space is first in best dressed so there is always 1 car in our driveway.

Advertisement