IGNORED

Kitchen design questions

LifesGood

Later this year we will be re-doing our kitchen from scratch. Everything will be removed and we can re-plumb, re-wire, re-whatever apart from moving walls or changing the overall size and shape of the kitchen.

We have a G-shaped kitchen with a corner window looking out to the front of the house. I'll try to post a plan of the shape and dimensions at some point, but at this stage I want to start with a single question for the combined wisdom of interested readers to answer:

Where would you put your pull-out rubbish bins? We will have a recycling bin and a general waste bin.

At the moment it is in a corner next to the dishwasher - I have to lean past the dishwasher from the sink to use it to scrape plates into, and I have to cross the entire kitchen to get to it from my existing stove when cooking. I have to carry food scraps across half the kitchen when prepping. So we end up with a messy floor quite often! The bin also occasionally starts to stink which means I like it being in the corner and not under my nose! But probably I should just deal with a stinky bin more promptly.

So:

• [list=]
  • Near the sink?

• [list=]
  • Somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

LemonMyrtle

Firstly, I hate pull our bins cause they’re so hard to keep clean. But, ignoring that.

We have a pull out bin under our kitchen sink. It’s perfect there. Anything wet like scraps from the dinner, vegetable peelings, etc, go in there and nothing drips on the floor. It’s right next to the dishwasher, so again, scraps get chucked in there and nothing drips on the floor, and it’s adjacent to our main prep area (which is above the dishwasher) so I can wipe crumbs all the way to the sink and then into the bin, again, nothing falls on the floor. Our kitchen isn’t huge and the bin is central to everything really, so it works well.

Kiwi Bicycle

Ideally it should be under your sink, next to the dishwasher. You should aim to have your prep area near that too for washing veges etc.

Although people like to have sinks under a window, if your window is in a corner and causing issues, move the sink along out of the corner.

I have two bins. One under the sink next to the dishwasher - it's a half bin that swings out with the door. Great for scraping platers etc. Then I have a double pull out bin at the end of the bench where the main prep area is and near the fridge. Full depth double for general rubbish and recycling. Soft plastic go in a bag in the pantry next to that, and there is also a tub for cans and bottles.

Guest BusbyWilkes

We had our kitchen redone and chose to not have under bench bins. Everyone was like, “you can’t do that!” But we prefer a freestanding bin which is easier to access (and a bit larger than most under bench ones). Just another idea....

LemonMyrtle

We had our kitchen redone and chose to not have under bench bins. Everyone was like, “you can’t do that!” But we prefer a freestanding bin which is easier to access (and a bit larger than most under bench ones). Just another idea....

I do prefer this. And I used to just drag the bin to the bench/sink when required then put it back in the corner. You need the floor space for the bin though, which we don’t have because it’s taken up with the below:

Our recycling bin is freestanding. It’s a giant flexi tub from bunnings. The good thing about having a big recycling tub that’s easily accessed is that it encourages me to recycle, cause it’s actually easier to throw something in the tub than the rubbish bin. And when it’s dirty I just hose it out outside.

• Like 1

LemonMyrtle

My setup.... under sink next to dishwasher

45-D72-D53-2050-45-A0-85-F8-6-BF3-A8-F8-C358.jpg

83-D8-F0-F7-4921-4471-89-CD-DCCB2-DCCA0-F0.jpg

B45-D4619-31-D6-4-F61-9-F5-F-75-D69-A42-C757.jpg

This is pretty much what we have except it’s inside a cupboard. Exact same location.

Hills Mum Bec

We have our bin under the sink, next to the dishwasher. We recently redid our kitchen and halved the size of the cupboard under the sink which forced us to get a smaller bin. It's a 10L one that uses the plastic shopping bags as liners and I love it. The smaller size means you are forced to empty it more often so it doesn't get stinky.

The problem I have with under the sink bins is that every time you are at the sink and someone needs the bin you have to step out of the way. But I get the point that near the sink is pretty important. Also thanks [mention]Kiwi Bicycle[/mention] for the point about washing veges - I do tend to carry my dripping veges across the kitchen to another work area so I do need to make my main work area next to the sink. I also think the idea of a smaller bin is a good one to prevent stinkiness [mention]Hills Mum Bec[/mention]

Good ideas and plenty of them - keep them coming please!

After having a pull out one when we moved here, i decided to go completely unattached bins when we re-did the kitchen. They're just $5 bunnings black bins, and we have four of them: compost, recycling, soft plastic and landfill. Love it. They fit side by side in the cupboards under the sink.

Jersey Caramel

Another vote here for under the sink, next to the dishwasher. Ours is a circular bin that is attached to the cupboard door so it opens out automatically when you open the door. Our recycling bin is a big tub that sits on the floor at the end of the kitchen.

Another vote here for under the sink, next to the dishwasher. Ours is a circular bin that is attached to the cupboard door so it opens out automatically when you open the door. Our recycling bin is a big tub that sits on the floor at the end of the kitchen.

Our recycling is a large box in the bottom of the pantry. I'd like to have a large custom-built drawer with a plastic tub for recycling.

Ours is next to the sink. We have two larger bins (general rubbish & recyclables) and two smaller bins (food scraps for chickens & soft plastics that we can recycle). The bin drawer also has a small drawer on top for foil, rubbish bags, baking paper etc). This set up works well for us

BC924-E27-BC1-B-4-A3-C-BD81-B17-FC7328-C91.jpg

D3026541-0-F64-4-F4-F-915-D-A304-AD4-D396-C.jpg

D3-AC0-C57-F71-D-4299-9163-89-BCC9965-C1-B.jpg

We had a hole in the counter top with the bucket underneath. I was worried it wouldn't be big enough but it was fine, and so easy to access emptying it was a breeze! I have a friend who did the same but removed the bucket that it comes with and placed two large bins side by side under it, if she wants to put something in the recycling she just aims to the side.

Next kitchen I design I will definitely do this again. No more bending! http://www.devoswoodworking.com/designing-wood-countertops/trash-holes.html

We had a hole in the counter top with the bucket underneath. I was worried it wouldn't be big enough but it was fine, and so easy to access emptying it was a breeze! I have a friend who did the same but removed the bucket that it comes with and placed two large bins side by side under it, if she wants to put something in the recycling she just aims to the side.

Next kitchen I design I will definitely do this again. No more bending! http://www.devoswoodworking.com/designing-wood-countertops/trash-holes.html

They look good - I especially like the stainless steel ones.

They look good - I especially like the stainless steel ones.

The one we had was the stainless, it doubled as a trivet to put hot pots on as well.

Ours is a pullout one next to the sink (right hand side), it is good placement and means you can be washing up and using the bin at the same time, friends have the same set up but have it motorised so they tap it with their hip and it opens automatically, handy when you have your hands full.

HTH

Recycle tote box in the pantry hidden in a corner and trash bin under the sink behind cabinet doors. Standalone trash bins under a counter near dining stools or in the corner of the kitchen always seem dirty to me, too out in the open.

If you go for built in, be mindful your council may change the bin system in the future. My council has recently swapped to a 3 bin system for food/organics bin, general waste and recycling. Mine is a pull out draw that now has two slimline bins inside and recycling is in the pantry.

Advertisement