IGNORED

Is this going to annoy me (furniture related)

Wolf87

Ok looking to upgrade DDs bed. Looking 2nd hand on marketplace. Really like this one - but because the steps are an extension of the bed, the door isn’t going to be able to open fully. Can’t put the bed elsewhere as there are built ins on the other wall.

I can’t really imagine if this is going to do my head in - what you guys reckon? Would it just be super annoying that we can’t open the door fully?

615-B73-AC-0084-484-D-8329-E7-B868-C5-F345.png

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolf87

• TinCat

• Kiwi Bicycle

• LemonMyrtle

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends just how far the door won't open.

If it opens nearly all the way you probably won't notice much.

Bizarrely DS has the exact same bed. It's great and so much storage underneath.

I like the look of it, but all I can think of is changing sheets would be annoying

Changing the sheets is annoying!! (But tolerable once you figure it out)

I think it depends just how far the door won't open.

If it opens nearly all the way you probably won't notice much.

Bizarrely DS has the exact same bed. It's great and so much storage underneath.

I think the door is only going to open halfway. I love it tho!!! So much storage! And love the steps compared to ladder. But feel like it’s going to feel weird that the door only opens halfway.

I like the look of it, but all I can think of is changing sheets would be annoying

Not too worried about that for now (famous last words!)

MintyBiscuit

I have that exact bed for DD. Do you mean the cupboard door next to the steps? It opens fully with no issues

Edited as I realised you mean the bedroom door. That would drive me bonkers, I’d look at another bed

I have that exact bed for DD. Do you mean the cupboard door next to the steps? It opens fully with no issues

Edited as I realised you mean the bedroom door. That would drive me bonkers, I’d look at another bed

Yep I think I’m going to have to keep looking. Dammit I love it! But it would just feel like something is blocking the door (because it is!)

This might be a stupid question, but can you get the door to open outward instead of inwards?

Got excited for a split second! But nope, won’t work.

This bed from Ikea ( it's new, I haven't seen this before), would be a better bet. Not so high off the ground but huge drawer storage.

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/slaekt-bed-frame-w-storage-slatted-bedbase-white-s19291985/

That’s cool! Was looking for one a bit higher tho, was going to turn part of into a bit of a cubby too. There’s so many on marketplace, just getting one for our needs is tricky due to the built ins! Saw the perfect one but wouldn’t work where it needed to sit.

I’ll keep looking I guess, no time pressure so I’ll just keep an eye out 🥰

it's a great bed but I would be driven nuts by the giant door stopper.

Hopefully you find a good plan b.

Edited by Ernegirl

This might be a stupid question, but can you get the door to open outward instead of inwards?

Or put in a sliding door. Seems odd but my bedroom door as a kid was a sliding door.

Guess it depends how much you want the bed lol

acidulous osprey

That ikea bed is excellent. We've got one similar from SuperAmart or the like (can't remember) and the storage is great.

That bed and the door situation would drive me spare.

overlytired

This bed from Ikea ( it's new, I haven't seen this before), would be a better bet. Not so high off the ground but huge drawer storage.

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/slaekt-bed-frame-w-storage-slatted-bedbase-white-s19291985/

That’s cool! Was looking for one a bit higher tho, was going to turn part of into a bit of a cubby too. There’s so many on marketplace, just getting one for our needs is tricky due to the built ins! Saw the perfect one but wouldn’t work where it needed to sit.

This bed from IKEA can be turned upside-down, and that would give you the space to add cubbies and storage: https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/kura-reversible-bed-white-pine-00253813/

how long would she USE a cubby for though? To me a bed is an investment that will be used 10 years or more, so the Ikea one would be a better option and you buy a teepee or tent for her to play in for a year or 2.

This bed from IKEA can be turned upside-down, and that would give you the space to add cubbies and storage: https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/kura-reversible-bed-white-pine-00253813/

Oh that’s cool! And kind of what we were looking at spending 2nd hand and that’s new. Will keep it in mind!

how long would she USE a cubby for though? To me a bed is an investment that will be used 10 years or more, so the Ikea one would be a better option and you buy a teepee or tent for her to play in for a year or 2.

This time around we are just looking something second hand, so not too worried if we have to replace in a couple of years, also most of the ones with the cubby hole fit a pull out desk which she’d probably enjoy more as she gets older

I think it would annoy me.

If all is otherwise perfect a sliding door might solve it, but that depends obviously on the surroundings.

LemonMyrtle

My son has that bed. I regret it. It’s too big. It only fits one way in his room (but at least the bedroom door opens)

I actually took the stairs off recently and now they’re at right angles, in front of the small cupboard, I did it so that we could move his bed around. Of course we have lost that bit of storage now.

My 3rd kid has a tiny bedroom. The door opening into it just took up too much space, so we put a sliding door in. DH did it himself. I incorrectly measured DS’s king single bed so it protrudes into the doorway by about 10-15 cm. It might look a bit stupid, but he has a comfy bed and door still shuts so I don’t mind the choice.

Kiwi Bicycle

Funny enough DS has the Ikea Kura.

Some things I have noticed is when the bed is in lowline bunk mode you can only use a really thin mattress, like a foam mattress. Sprung mattresses make the sides too low for safety.

It's a bit flimsy for adults to climb onto and when it's in normal bed mode, a pain for adults to duck under the bar all the time.

The lowline bunk doesn't really encourage reading books together with an adult if you do that at bedtime.

Currently it doesn't get used and is just for DS to play on during the day as he prefers sleeping with me. However the grandparents paid for it and I will onsell in the future, so I am upset that it's not used.

Update - picking this one up on the weekend. Only $150 so won’t feel too bad if we have to change it sooner rather than later, and DD is pretty excited!

28-CA6926-75-D3-49-D8-92-CC-EBE03-F5-B5342.png

Advertisement