IGNORED

Curtain advice

Daffy2016

DH and I want to replace the curtains in our living room. The current one is beige and hideous and covers the windows along one wall. Due to finances we’re looking at an interim ikea pair rather than custom made - two pairs will cover the window.

We’re looking for something reasonably thick to block out some heat and light but don’t know what colour.

Carpet is dark navy with a grey undertone. Walls are white, furniture light grey and wheat. Window frame is unfortunately that lovely 90s vanilla colour.

Our choices are dark grey, light grey or possibly white. I think the greys will be too dark, particularly as the ceiling is low. White may look weird with the window frame.

What would you pick?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bad Cat

• Jenflea

• Daffy2016

• Pearson

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go the dark grey. I have dark curtains and my ceiling is standard 2.4m. Looks fine. White would look weird with the window frame, and light grey would look weird unless it's the same shade of light grey as your furniture (and then it would be too much light grey).

Dark grey is way more practical with little kids and pets.

I've got cream curtains and they look gross but it's too big a job to take them down and wash and rehang, plus I don't want my block out lining to shrink.

Kmart and Big w have blockout curtains inexpensively priced too.

We got a nice mid blue for our bedrooms.

Light grey would be my choice from your options.

I have dark carpet and light grey curtains in my bedroom and hate it. The curtains suck the light out of the room. I had originally wanted white but was talked into grey.

I'd go for the white and do my best to ignore the window trim. I'm not sure what you mean by vanilla but am assuming they are similar to the majority of my house - colour of a manilla folder?

Actually Ikea are pretty good with returns

If you can afford it and can be bothered, buy each colour and see which one looks best and return the other two.

Advertisement