IGNORED

Real Estate Agent gift??

PositiveVibes90

PositiveVibes90

Hi all,

We sold our house under auction last night. It was on the market for 2 weeks, we brought the auction forward 1.5 weeks due to high interest and it sold for $65,000 over the reserve! We were so happy with our agent, she made the whole process so smooth for us and explained everything along the way. She sent me daily text updates and called after every open home. I know with the current crazy market that's the reason we got a high figure, but she still put in a lot of effort and was really great throughout the 2 weeks.

I know they get commission, but I was wanting to get opinions about whether a gift is over the top? And what would you think is a thoughtful gift?

She got us flowers when our photos were taken and a bottle of MUMM champagne last night. I'm thinking a spa voucher, or a little basket with a couple of candles/chocolates/dinner voucher?

Or is this too much/a bit weird?

Thanks!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bornagirl

• Seayork2002

• PositiveVibes90

• HoneyBear

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably send a card, and tell her you'd recommend her. That word of mouth advertising is gold. I think it would be weird for her to receive a gift... when I read the topic title I assumed that when you'd sold/purchased/either, you'd been given something from the agent! That's pretty normal. The other way seems strange to me.

I was going to suggest champagne and flowers, but that seems a bit 'you gave us some so we'll give you some'.

I think the spa voucher is lovely.

We felt the same way after selling my MIL's unit. None of us had sold anything for yonks, and never in that part of town, so were very dependent on her advice - including go to auction.

Without wishing to steal your thunder, the reserve (VERY reasonable I must admit $850k, she wanted it higher, we wanted it sold), was exceeded by nearly $300k.

We gave her champagne and flowers. (BIL said 'she made plenty of money out of us', well, we could say the same in return, she made plenty of money for us.)

ETA: I should add, for a bizarre reason, we nearly had to pull it off the market two days before the auction, and she was just superb with her handling of the chaos. She also had more opens than were advertised.

I think a small gift, maybe chocolate, and a card would be best. Spa voucher or candles seems a bit intimate/personal to me. And I second the positive review suggestion, that's really important for them and is a great way to show your appreciation

PositiveVibes90

Thanks all for feedback! Might go with a nice card & review (which I was going to do anyway for sure!) and maybe some nice chocolates. She definitely went above and beyond and took people through privately for viewings on top of the scheduled open homes (vacant, but furnished property made that easier)

It was valued at $620K 3 months ago. We had 2 offers the day after 1st open home, at $620 & $650K, we made the reserve $670K and we got $740K. Over the moon about that as it's a small, but modern 3 bed 2 bath house (our first home, so also a bit emotional about the sale)

Anyways, thanks for your comments!! :-D

Many companies have policies about not accepting personal gifts.

The most valuable thing you can give is a recommendation/endorsement or agree to appear in an ad for them.

I would expect an agent to take buyers through at scheduled times plus times for individual buyers. That is part of the standard expectation, or has been my experience with every house I bought or sold.

Seayork2002

Thanks all for feedback! Might go with a nice card & review (which I was going to do anyway for sure!) and maybe some nice chocolates. She definitely went above and beyond and took people through privately for viewings on top of the scheduled open homes (vacant, but furnished property made that easier)

It was valued at $620K 3 months ago. We had 2 offers the day after 1st open home, at $620 & $650K, we made the reserve $670K and we got $740K. Over the moon about that as it's a small, but modern 3 bed 2 bath house (our first home, so also a bit emotional about the sale)

Anyways, thanks for your comments!! :-D

I am glad you are happy with the service but what she is doing is standard practice

Just a card is fine. It's ok if she didn't go above and beyond and you're just happy with what's considered to be normal service. I work with people and I still love it when my work is acknowledged. Normal work is hard!

I would expect them to take people through privately too. In fact there seems to be more of that, than the opens, but I suspect the serious buyers come to the opens first up. Just my experience, and not that much to go by.

Any we've been taken through privately has been at the urging of the REA, and places we've not been over the moon about. They know we wouldn't go to the open, so took us there themselves.

A card and a review is fine- what she did is pretty standard in Melbourne, not sure about elsewhere. It’s in their best interest to sell it, their commission is enough reward.

Hills Mum Bec

I work in a real estate office. Sometimes the agents get gifts, usually a bottle of wine or a dinner voucher. Best gift is a chocolate hamper that they can then share with the admin staff...... hint hint.

In all seriousness, the best gift you can give an agent is a good review and a referral to anyone you know who may be thinking of selling their house.

From reading your post OP I get the impression that you feel genuine gratitude towards the agent and would really like to give her a gift. IMO it's nice to give a genuine no strings attached gift. I have occasionally bought small gifts for service providers despite the fact they were getting paid to do a job - such as my kid's teachers, a Dr who looked after my DD, even a salesman at a car dealership who went above and beyond.

In your instance it's really the thought that counts and I don't think it is necessary to spend a lot of money. A card with a nice message and a small box of good quality chocolates. An honest heart felt gift is a lovely thing to do IMO.

LemonMyrtle

A gift is weird. She has your money. That’s enough. A nice thank you email would be appreciated.

And I’d say all real estate agents buy you a gift after you sell, or buy, because, they have your money, a lot of it.

A gift is weird. She has your money. That’s enough. A nice thank you email would be appreciated.

And I’d say all real estate agents buy you a gift after you sell, or buy, because, they have your money, a lot of it.

Definitely the opposite of weird in our case, but too identifying to tell the story.

I agree with others that private viewings, advice on accepting offers etc is standard, what she did for us, me in particular was a long way from standard, so I'd say 'it depends'.

Totally agree. I very much view it as a business relationship- it is of benefit to them to get the best price they can. I however will always make sure I give good reviews (websites, social media or word of mouth) when I receive good service.

Look, even if they were just doing their job, it sounds like you had a really good experience with the agent and want to say thanks. Nothing wrong with that. People are so keen to complain, so I do think it is nice to show thanks, in whatever way you chose, as well. I would not spend too much, but a small gift is a lovely gesture.

Advertisement