IGNORED

Selling our house.

Bethlehem

Ok so our place is about to go on the market.

We’ve decluttered and tidied.

Two agents came through yesterday.

One is selling the house next door.

There was a significant difference in the prices offered. Like 10% of asking price.

One felt like they just kept comparing it to next doors and the sale of that place. Saying that they’d bring through Buyers for both. But our houses are pretty different. Theirs is pretty and has a great facade and very white and bright and bigger. Ours was dated when we purchased it, ugly facade but awesome back yard space and smaller overall but space is extremely well used. Theirs hasn’t been cared for well, ours has so needs less work- you might want to pain to change the colours, but that’s it.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bethlehem

• Fruitmincepies

• Kiwi Bicycle

• Jersey Caramel

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiwi Bicycle

The only reason I would use the same agent would be if both of your properties match what a developer would want for a redevelopment ( so purcahsing both to knock down and rebuild) . Otherwise that agent sounds like they are going to be a bit lazy and I would try someone else.

I'd be wary of that agent. I was a bit frustrated when selling a two bedroom (with attic from solid stairs) and it got compared with a three bedroom down the road - once he had the contract.

Mine was Edwardian, restumped, replastered, rewire, large rooms, original fireplaces (restored) in three rooms, high ceilings etc etc. The other was a fifties house (also timber) with low ceilings, small rooms, very little to recommend it otherwise. The people who wanted mine wouldn't have looked twice at theirs, and vice versa. If you've got two different buying groups, they shouldn't be compared. Agree with [mention]Kiwi Bicycle[/mention] , if they're already talking it down, forget them.

I think you'd also be better off with an agent who's extolling the virtues of your house compared with theirs, not someone just calling them 'different'.

Jersey Caramel

Are you in a hurry to sell? Would you consider waiting until after next door has sold? That way you wouldn't be directly competing and any disappointed buyers from next door may be interested + any additional buyers who weren't interested. Plus having two houses for sale right next to each other might make people wonder whether there is some development/ terrible neighbor/ noise issue that they don't know about!

Fruitmincepies

If both houses possibly need work, then they could appeal to the same buyers. Especially if people are looking at location more than wanting a house with no need for work done. I’d still be wary about using the same agent.

We’ve been watching the market closely in our local suburbs as we’ve just bought.

The agents getting best prices are listing at a higher price and doing the work to get that price. It’s taking longer, more open homes, more work in presentation. But prices are up to $100k higher for the vendor (or more!)

The agents wanting a quick sale are suggesting a price that we feel was too low then selling within a week or two. I’ve now noted down who those agents are and I will never use them as I think they’re lazy and acting in their own interest not the vendor. We actually had a contact use one of those agents to sell and she said she was pressured a lot to sell quickly - very disappointing behavior from the selling agent. She easily would have got more if she’d waited a couple of weeks.

I’d go back through the agents past sales (last 3-4 months) and see what they’ve achieved and how long it’s taking to get those results. That information should be reasonably public using Realestate.com.au or domain.com.au

I’d be asking how they plan to get the best price for your home, what their marketing strategy is like, how many interested buyers they have on your target buyer demographic etc.

Read their online reviews - Facebook, internet etc. a lack of recent reviews would be cause for concern. Generally agents will request buyer reviews after each sale. Failure to fill one out by a vendor probably means they weren’t happy but don’t want to say so.

Advertisement