IGNORED

Stacking washer and heat pump dryer of different brands

Beanette

I have a Fisher & Paykel 8.5kg front loader washing machine (depth 645mm width 600mm) that I would like to stack a Bosch heat pump dryer on top of (depth 599mm, width 598mm)

Because they are not the same brand there are no compatible stacking kits that I've been able to find, so I was looking at getting a rubber mat to put between them.

Would this work? Or am I better off getting a F&P heat pump dryer to match the washer?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beanette

• Ozgirl

• LemonMyrtle

• Kiwi Bicycle

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiwi Bicycle

Wouldn't there have to be some sort of wall bracket holding the drier?

Alternatively, if you have someone who can build, why not get them to make a stand for the drier ( as the dimensions of your drier are smaller than the washing machine) so it sits on a tall table?

Alternatively, if you have someone who can build, why not get them to make a stand for the drier ( as the dimensions of your drier are smaller than the washing machine) so it sits on a tall table?

You cant hang Heat Pump dryer's off the wall they are too heavy.

LemonMyrtle

I’d be hesitant to do it without the proper bracket thingamy to spread the weight to the correct locations. You could cause damage.

Is your washing machine a stackable one at least?

OP, I have too different brands.

I used to have a simpson washing machine, and a Samsung Heat Pump.

I now have a Bosch washing machine and the Samsung heat pump.

I havent used a stacking kit at all.

The heat pump sits on top of the washing machine, no rubber mat even.

Heat pump dryers can't be wall mounted - they are too heavy. You can only stack them on top of a washing machine, or have them on the floor (not an option for my laundry size)

I’d be hesitant to do it without the proper bracket thingamy to spread the weight to the correct locations. You could cause damage.

I think so? F&P sell a stacking kit for it so I think you must be able to stack on top of it. It was only bought ~12 months ago

LemonMyrtle

I think so? F&P sell a stacking kit for it so I think you must be able to stack on top of it. It was only bought ~12 months ago

It might be ok then.

Washers and dryers are pretty standard sizes. If I were you I would find the specs of the F&P stacking kit, find the dimensions for the dryer feet pad areas or the base dimensions, then compare with your dryer. If they’re the same then it will fit. The instruction manuals usually have the major dimensions. Or you could email them for a drawing or spec sheet that has it.

For what it’s worth, I have a condenser dryer on a rubber mat, on a bench, and it hasn’t moved an inch since we put it there. (I reinforced the bench with an extra leg)

Kiwi Bicycle

Ok just read the article linked above. They say it's dangerous to stack a condenser drier using a mat. I would sell your drier and buy the stackable matching drier instead. Driers are cheaper than washing machines.

I have the same washing machine as you OP and the matching Fisher & Paykel condensing dryer stacked on top using the stacking kit. I have been fairly happy with them although the dryer is actually more expensive to buy than the washing machine.

I recently bought a replacement dryer and was considering getting a Miele instead (to go on top of the F&P washing machine). The sales guy at Harvey Norman told me just to use a rubber mat thing as the existing stacking kit didn't work with other brands.

We have different brands between our front load washer and heat pump dryer.

The dryer’s footprint is smaller than the washer. They are stacked with a rubber mat between. Never an issue.

So all these people stacking, doesn't your washing machine vibrate during the spin cycle? I'd have thought you couldn't put something on top of it?

I have the same washing machine as you OP and the matching Fisher & Paykel condensing dryer stacked on top using the stacking kit. I have been fairly happy with them although the dryer is actually more expensive to buy than the washing machine.

How do you find the F&P dryer, is is the heat pump or the condenser one?

The F&P 8kg drier is the same size as the Bosch 9kg but the reviews for it aren't as good.

I used to use a rubber mat between my front loader and an old vented dryer, but those things are so light compared to a heat pump dryer.

The F&P 8kg drier is the same size as the Bosch 9kg but the reviews for it aren't as good.

I used to use a rubber mat between my front loader and an old vented dryer, but those things are so light compared to a heat pump dryer.

I think it is the condenser one. So I'd had an old vented dryer for years that I was happy with. But I moved to a new house with a different laundry size so needed to get a new washer & dryer that stacked. I'd had F&P washers & dryers for years and always been happy so bought the 8.5kg stackable pair. I wash every day so they get a lot of use but they only lasted about 5 years and had a couple of repairs each in that time too. Last year I had to replace the old ones and bought another set the same. So the first set didn't really last very long unfortunately.

But in general I am happy with them, lots of wash & dry cycles to chose from.

I think it is the condenser one. So I'd had an old vented dryer for years that I was happy with. But I moved to a new house with a different laundry size so needed to get a new washer & dryer that stacked. I'd had F&P washers & dryers for years and always been happy so bought the 8.5kg stackable pair. I wash every day so they get a lot of use but they only lasted about 5 years and had a couple of repairs each in that time too. Last year I had to replace the old ones and bought another set the same. So the first set didn't really last very long unfortunately.

But in general I am happy with them, lots of wash & dry cycles to chose from.

The condenser one is about $850 compared to heat pump ~ $1500, you definitely got the condenser? (sorry to be annoying, just lots of varied reviews online so would love to hear from someone "real" who had a heat pump one)

I am very happy with my F&P washer, just heard that the Bosch is quieter and faster for drying which is what we need as our laundry is a euro laundry in a cupboard and not very soundproof

So all these people stacking, doesn't your washing machine vibrate during the spin cycle? I'd have thought you couldn't put something on top of it?

Nope!

Its god damn bloody heavy. I actually think it stops it shaking.

And before I got the new washing machine my old one was dying... the spin was scary load!!!

Pinkflamingo

I have a Fisher & Paykel 8.5kg front loader washing machine (depth 645mm width 600mm) that I would like to stack a Bosch heat pump dryer on top of (depth 599mm, width 598mm)

Because they are not the same brand there are no compatible stacking kits that I've been able to find, so I was looking at getting a rubber mat to put between them.

Would this work? Or am I better off getting a F&P heat pump dryer to match the washer?

Yes absolutely! (I’ve not read other replies) we have a Miele front loader on the bottom and an Electrolux heat pump on the top. It’s been like this for about 5yrs now, the only issue we have had is the 1st dryer had a fault and leaked water all over the Miele (gasp!) but the Miele has never missed a beat so it obviously didn’t do any damage, luckily!

Yes absolutely! (I’ve not read other replies) we have a Miele front loader on the bottom and an Electrolux heat pump on the top. It’s been like this for about 5yrs now, the only issue we have had is the 1st dryer had a fault and leaked water all over the Miele (gasp!) but the Miele has never missed a beat so it obviously didn’t do any damage, luckily!

That's good to hear (well, not about the dryer leaking!)

Do you use a rubber mat in between them?

Dadwasathome

Beanette - we bought Bosch washer and heat pump dryer last year and have no problems. Not stacked yet (although will if we renovate) and the dryer isn’t plumbed in yet, so in need to remember to empty the reservoir after every cycle (especially towels). I use a cycle that is nominally 2:48 to get towels bone dry.

What is the logic for the rubber mat?

What is the logic for the rubber mat?

I was reading that it helps to absorb some of the vibrations, makes the dryer more stable? (No idea really, just going by what I've read)

Hasnt been an issue/need for either of my washing machines.

And as pp said above it could be dangerous I would have thought?

appliances online installed my new washing machine and took the heat pump off and back on again. And no comments about the install.

Pinkflamingo

Yes, we have a rubber mat between. Our washing machine has never unbalanced, and the dryer doesn’t move at all.

Advertisement