IGNORED

Cost of bathroom reno when there is asbestos?

Redchick

Hi, have to get my bathroom renovated and it has asbestos sheeting involved. Any one have an indication of what it will add to the cost of the reno? It is a very small bathroom - only a bath and basin.

TIA

RC

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bethlehem

• Redchick

• Basil

• Jersey Caramel

Top Posters In This Topic

If you’re resheeting anyway, the cost difference between removing regular sheeting and asbestos sheeting isn’t too much for experienced contractors.

Disposable PPE, disposable plastic sheeting to create a ‘sealed’ room, plastic to wrap the sheeting up, negative pressure air filters, sprinkler systems etc are all equipment an experienced asbestos removing contractor should have. I think there’s an extra charge for disposing of asbestos because it can not go into regular landfilll.

I would hazard a guess it would be a few hundred extra considering removing asbestos from a whole house was about $6-10k (different houses). The expense is having to resheet and repaint everything.

In nsw you will need a licensed asbestos removalist & an inspection by an appropriately qualified person.

The inspections are usually around $1500. Removalist depends on volume and how much it costs to dispose of it legally.

Jersey Caramel

We recently had our bathroom renovated and although we didn't have asbestos, if they found it they estimated the extra cost would be in the order of $1,500-$2,000 (from memory).

If there's not a huge amount of asbestos you should be able to get rid of it at the local tip - we do this every so often as old asbestos sometimes turns up in the backyard. Our NSW Council run tip has a skip bin where residents can deposit small amounts of asbestos wrapped in thick plastic for not a huge amount of money.

If there's not a huge amount of asbestos you should be able to get rid of it at the local tip - we do this every so often as old asbestos sometimes turns up in the backyard. Our NSW Council run tip has a skip bin where residents can deposit small amounts of asbestos wrapped in thick plastic for not a huge amount of money.

<10m2.

In nsw you will need a licensed asbestos removalist & an inspection by an appropriately qualified person.

The inspections are usually around $1500. Removalist depends on volume and how much it costs to dispose of it legally.

In Qld, it has to be removed by a licensed asbestos removalists as well. The license is not difficult to obtain and many builders have someone qualified to do so on their crew.

The post removal inspection is by a government certified inspector and I don’t remember it being a separate cost.

I remember the cost of having asbestos inspection (prior to removal) and testing to be around $1500. A friend had it done recently when their neighbors illegally removed asbestos sheeting without precautions. She has her property tested for fibres and sued them for the cost of remediation.

Seayork2002

You worded it better than I was going to, but yes this exactly

Thanks everyone. Interestingly, my inspector said they were not allowed to remove asbestos or recommend anyone as it could be a conflict of interest ie they could say there was asbestos where there wasn’t to make more money. Sounds like the reno i company I use should be able to handle it.

Yes that’s true.

Asbestos assessor are independent and have their own duty of care. They will assess for asbestos and check that it’s been removed correctly. Sometimes this means multiple visits. It also means that then they will charge more for multiple visits. Which means the removalist is motivated to do it right the first time!

Check and ask the Reno company for a copy of the insurance and clearance certificate at the end of the job. They should be readily able to provide them.

Advertisement