IGNORED

Laundry reno - combo washer/dryer?

cardamom

Tinkle Bells

I’ve had combo washer dryers for years. An LG which I used for about 8 years, until we moved house last year. I then put it into our granny flat where my daughter lives, and it is still going strong.

In our new house there is room for two under bench machines, so we put in two LG 10kg/6kg washer dryer combos. This lets us power through the weekend washing (most things go on the line) then dry a couple of loads at the end (towels, sheets etc). We also use the washer dryer function to do loads of towels or sheets during the week when we are at work. The two machines have been a massive game changer.

I do love the washer dryers generally though. When we didn’t have space for a separate dryer it allowed me to wash sheets and dry overnight or when I was at work, instead of hanging them out in the morning or when I got home from work. The difference in load size between washing and drying has literally never caused me a problem, i guess I don’t wash huge loads.

The wash functions are the same as other models. The dry function is good in that it is plumbed in, so there is no lint in the air or anything. It takes about 3 hours to do a load of towels or sheets until they are completely dry.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Basil

• cardamom

• LemonMyrtle

• TheMagician

Top Posters In This Topic

LemonMyrtle

I just checked what I am paying:

7.27 super off peak

18.18 off peak

50.00 peak

Interesting!

50 cents peak??? That’s huge. We do all our power usage during the day. That would kill us. Think ours is 24cents any time, 22 cents if we pay on time.

7.27 super off peak

18.18 off peak

50.00 peak

Interesting!

Woah! 50cents peak!

Makes a heat pump dryer even more financially sensible - 35cents per load peak vs $3 per load for a 6kWh tumble dryer.

I considered one to save space, but honestly it would do my head in having to wait for the dryer to run before I could do my next load of washing.

TheMagician

7.27 super off peak

18.18 off peak

50.00 peak

Interesting!

50 cents peak??? That’s huge. We do all our power usage during the day. That would kill us. Think ours is 24cents any time, 22 cents if we pay on time.

It would work well for you then as our super off peak is 9am to 3pm.

LemonMyrtle

7.27 super off peak

18.18 off peak

50.00 peak

Interesting!

It would work well for you then as our super off peak is 9am to 3pm.

True, except we also have solar panels, (which is why that’s the off peak time for your power company I suppose, cause that’s when everyone is using solar power not grid power) so early morning and evenings is our peak usage. It’s a balancing act because on a cloudy day our panels don’t do much. And that’s when we would need the dryer the most.

Power bills are so complicated these days.

Lesley225

Speaking of off peak electricity - get an appliance with a timer so you can use it for off peak or high solar times. My dishwasher and dryer have timers but the washing machine does not. I set the dishwasher to come on when I know solar will cover the usage, and then have the dryer come on when the dishwasher finishes.

I used to do that, have everything timed to start at 10 or a load finished at 5 am to put in the dryer or hang out but then bought a house with an unsmart meter. So it doesn't matter when i use the appliances now.

Hopefully in a few years i will get solar and it won't matter when i use things and i understand the meter has to be upgraded then.

TheMagician

We don’t have solar panels. Our electric bills are pretty low anyway, that could change but for now I use my most power during super off peak times. ( 9am to 3pm)

Advertisement