IGNORED

Heart palpitations

Mishu

I'm wondering how common it is to experience heart palpitations? Esp during menopause?

I've started to get heart palpitations a few weeks ago and, while I think it is menopause related (I'm 50 and it has been two years since my last period so I'm definitely post-menopausal, the hot flushes can attest to that), I'm noticing more of them this Christmas period and it is a little unsettling.

I went to the GP when they started, just in case. My mother has had a heart by-pass this year, so they have started doing all the checks due to family history. Had an ECG & it was fine, bloods results were good (thyroid, blood sugars, cholesterol all normal). I exercise regularly, never smoked, don't drink excessively. I'll be going back in the new year for the next steps (a halter monitor I think?).

Is this common? The pounding, racing heart?

I have noticed it more the last few days and it seems to occur more after I have something sweet or after a drink (wine). I did mention to my doctor that I thought my earlier heart palpitations were related to having had something sugary but she dismissed this. She said it could be related to menopause but wants to eliminate all other possible causes first.

I know that asking people on the internet isn't medical advice but as I am getting proper health advice & doing all the tests anyway, I thought I would ask if this is common or not. I don't know anyone else who gets them and I don't know if this is because its unusual or is just something that people don't mention.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mishu

• Sincerely

• Mrs Twit

• Stuffed Olive

Top Posters In This Topic

Given my age (68) I know an awful lot of people with menopause issues, and yes, heart palpitations do seem to appear/magnify at menopause. When I tried about a year ago to significantly reduce HRT, the heart pounding was one of the things that I found quite uncomfortable. Quite noticeable especially when trying to go to sleep. Other symptoms meant I went back on to the patches (must be about ten years now) and they ceased.

Obviously everyone's has to be checked out, but clearly you're heading along that path anyway.

It sounds like you should do a 24hr or 48 hour ECG monitoring, where you are hooked up to a pack to monitor you throughtout a day. Alternatively you can get ECG monitor equipment. My dad had issues but never when he went in to see the doctor. We got him a small machine you held against your chest which would take a 2 min recording and then you could download. The doctor found that information good, especially as it showed him my dad wasn't faking it as such.

It sounds like you should do a 24hr or 48 hour ECG monitoring, where you are hooked up to a pack to monitor you throughtout a day. Alternatively you can get ECG monitor equipment. My dad had issues but never when he went in to see the doctor. We got him a small machine you held against your chest which would take a 2 min recording and then you could download. The doctor found that information good, especially as it showed him my dad wasn't faking it as such.

Yes, that’s the Holter monitoring that OP describes that she’ll be undergoing in the new year.

I've had heart palpitations since I was around 6 years old. I have never known what causes them.

They do seem more frequent when I am pregnant and now that I am perimenopausal

OP, you’re very astute to have noticed several different factors which affect the autonomic nervous system’s control over heart rate & function.. The autonomic system is determined by the equilibrium between sympathetic & parasympathetic control. Oestrogen increases parasympathetic/vagal tone which slows the heart and reduces blood pressure. When oestrogen levels decline after menopause, women are more likely to get hypertension and ‘palpitations’. Alcohol and sugar both increase sympathetic drive, so a combination of decreased parasympathetic & increased sympathetic is very likely to be causing more frequent palpitations. The important thing now is to find out what heart rhythm these palpitations constitute. It might just be sinus tachycardia which is just an increased speed of the normal rhythm. Other types of arrhythmia can be managed, so it is good to have the Holter monitor to record the rhythm for diagnosis.

Edited by Sincerely

I had heart palpitations during menopause, my anxiety levels were quite high. I wore the halter monitor and everything checked out ok. Everything has since settled down. I know someone else currently going through menopause who is having similar issues.

I had heart palpitations during menopause, my anxiety levels were quite high. I wore the halter monitor and everything checked out ok. Everything has since settled down. I know someone else currently going through menopause who is having similar issues.

Stuffed Olive

Very good that you have noticed this. Definitely get your GP to order a 24 hour holter monitor.

I had intermittent palpitations for a few years that were never caught on an ECG, despite visits to my GP. I also thought it was related to alcohol and certain foods, which was not taken very seriously!

I ended up being admitted to hospital with rapid atrial fibrillation which was then hard to control.

So it could just be a fast, but normal heart rhythm or it could be something that needs treatment.

Best to find out so that it does not become a problem.

Fruitmincepies

[mention]Stuffed Olive[/mention] my aunt had the same story as you - finally, after years of being fobbed off, she had an episode while at the GP. She was sent straight to ED! She sees a cardiologist regularly now. Worst is that she has another chronic illness that predisposes her to cardiac issues, so it really should have been checked out more thoroughly.

Stuffed Olive

[mention]Fruitmincepies[/mention] That is exactly what happened to me - finally sent to ED from the GP. Even worse, I was a critical care nurse, so I felt I should have made more effort to resist the fobbing!

I ended up having an ablation a year later, which fixed the problem, but it was a very miserable period.

Thank you all, and especially Sincerely for your explanation - that explains a lot.

I only notice the palpitations when I am relatively still - sitting at the computer is common. And not when wearing a heavy bag SeaYorChristmasK but I do find that sleeping in my left side is less comfortable these days.

Once my GP is back I'll follow up with the holter monitor. My GP was also talking about doing a heart stress test and possibly a calcium heart test (not sure that is what it is called, it was calcium something) so it sounds like they will check everything. Mum had a quintuple by-pass plus a pace-maker put in this year, so the family history is my biggest risk factor I think. Which may be why my GP dismissed my thoughts about it being triggered by things I have eaten and is instead focusing on the more serious causes first.

A heart calcium scan locates plaques within the walls of the arteries supplying the heart. Calcium is deposited (along with cholesterol etc) in plaques in the vessel walls which accumulate & can eventually block off the artery. It’s difficult to visualise arteries without injecting dye, a procedure which carries a small risk, so calcium scans are done as a relatively non invasive screening procedure, to see if further investigations are needed.

A heart calcium scan locates plaques within the walls of the arteries supplying the heart. Calcium is deposited (along with cholesterol etc) in plaques in the vessel walls which accumulate & can eventually block off the artery. It’s difficult to visualise arteries without injecting dye, a procedure which carries a small risk, so calcium scans are done as a relatively non invasive screening procedure, to see if further investigations are needed.

Thank you Sincerely, your explanations have been really helpful and reassuring.

Advertisement