IGNORED

Perimenopause

Greatmum

Wondering what symptoms everyone has had. Have been feeling weird lately. Sad, out of control very stressed. Could these be signs of menopause. I’m 45.

Have other symptoms too that seems like others but think it’s me??

Have gp appt but not til December.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BKK

• Seayork2002

• purpleduck

• Romeo Void

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 45 and to cut a very long story short when I was 38 or so I had hot flushes towards summer so was not sure if it was heat or something else as I thought I was too young got menopause, I had a lot checked out and I was also nauseous and felt just plain weird (hard to explain) and they found something and said I was perimenopausal, I am supposedly out of it and was confirmed as not menopausal; but still getting the same symptoms

I’ve had occasional hot flushes. Weight is not shifting even though I’ve been on the underweight/healthy range all my life unit now. I’m also eating less than I ever have (metabolism has slowed down). Insomnia that comes on for no reason. I’m feeling normal fluctuations more than I ever have. My periods can be stupidly heavy or near non existent some months. The family have commented on my short fuse and I’m not sure if it’s just 2020 or not but I know my anxiety has gone through the roof. And dry lips! I am using lip balm religiously. My hair is also thinning.

I mentioned this to my GP 2 years ago and she ran some tests to confirm that I am peri menopausal. She suggested that if I’m happy enough to live with these symptoms for now, I’ll just ride it out. If they get worse, she said we can discuss other options. In the meantime though, she strongly suggested I see a dietitian to work on the weight loss and prepare my body for menopause.

Yes have weight gain too and yes eating less than ever.

Have had hot flush but not regularly.

Don’t get periods as got a more a so don’t know what’s going on there.

I have heard u can check with blood tests as hormones fluctuate too much??

Also short fuse and just feeling sad and that everyone ignoring me going behind my back.

My period has suddenly gone MIA. I am delighted because my cycles were about every 19 days and I was staring down a hysterectomy. Now I can rebuild iron stores.

I had some hot flushes but this has waned. Did have some insomnia last year but sleep improved in 2020 strangely. Weight hasn’t changed much but I do a lot of exercise. I can relate to the short fuse though and I had to work on that as I don’t want to be difficult to live with!

I found myself very angry and tired. It was very odd for me as I am normally cheerful and social.

I was prescribed the mini-pill, but take only the active tablets and it's really given me my life back. My GP said that this is often used as a treatment for preimenopause.

I've noticed I've become a little apple-ish around the waist, but I'm not giving up chocolate. I run 5 days a week. I can't be bothered dieting and am hoping to just increase my running time as I age.

I'm 52 and still waiting, I have no idea what symptoms to look out for.

My periods and ovulation pain were that bad (and still like clockwork) that I had an Implanon put in in July. I've never been happier since I was allowed to have the injection. Finally some relief.

No wonder our grandmothers called it "the curse " 🤣🤣

My anxiety seems to have gone up, and first it started being really noticeable at a certain time of month, and now it's just random and out of nowhere.

My formerly clockwork period has started becoming unpredictable, and super responsive to when my 11yo DD's barely-beginning period happens.

I have hairs growing fast on my chin.

My thyroid has started misbehaving. Also my cholesterol, but maybe that's age (or related to thyroid).

I've started having regular heart flutters. It was freaking my out as it went from once every few months to once most days. But I saw a cardiologist today and apparently this can happen in the lead up to menopause also.

and prepare my body for menopause.

How do we prepare our bodies for menopause?

I'm not sure if I'm perimenopausal or not, but this year (age 45) my periods suddenly became very heavy, now under control with the Implanon. Actually, it's been almost five months without a period, which has been great. The implant expires when I'm 48, will probably need to get a checkup and decide if I need another three year implant by then.

ClaudiaCosette

I;m just wondering, for those of you who've mentioned some of the symptoms of perimenopause, how old you all are?

I'm 37, and have been having all sorts of weird symptoms lately. I do have thyroid issues (Hashimoto's) and always have low iron, so it might just be that flaring up (although my levels have been good lately) but in the last few months I've had lots of headaches which I've never really had before. Plus extreme exhaustion and lack of energy, brain fog, irritable, and my anxiety keeps getting worse. I am dealing with twin toddlers at the moment and that in itself is exhausting, but I feel so much worse than when my older two kids (1.5 years apart) were in the toddler stage.

My periods have also become a bit strange - kind of flipped to how they always used to be, I always had heavy then light flow, but now it's light for a few days and then gets really heavy, and then suddenly stops. Could this be a sign I'm heading to perimenopause? I think I need to see my GP about it!

VeritasVinumArte

I had perrimenopausal symptoms as I approached 40. Couldn’t sleep. Hot flushes at night (awake in pool of sweat), completely flat and tired all the time. I can’t comment on cycles as I had Implanon in.

By 42 I was off Implanon and my cycles were suddenly 17-23d, whereas previously my natural cycles were 6-12wks. I also had gained weight which was not going despite reducing eating and extra exercise. Fortunately blood tests showed elevated Prolactin levels so I was referred to an Endocrinologist. My hormone levels were all over the place, some were post menopause levels others just completely wrong, but I was still getting my periods and too frequently (which has added impact as I get migraines with my cycle..... easier when your cycle is 6-12wks but harder at 3wks). I was given medication for the Prolactin, plus given Metformin for Insulin Resistance (I had charted my eating for 3wks and only at under 500 calories a day could I lose a smidgen of weight) plus possibly PCOS.

Metformin regulated my cycles and for the first time in my life I started having 28d cycles..... plus the weight just fell off. So now at 46 I have less symptoms than I did at 38-42 (although occasional period flooding has started up). My hormone levels are totally all over the place and non explanatory. My mum had sudden stop of her periods at 50, so maybe I will be the same.

So really NFI from me.

I was given some things to look put for on Essential Baby so will try and capture the great advice before it closes, my period cycle is the same but the flow changes each period so one may start heavy then go lighter or the next period maybe be the opposite or anything inbetween

Not into menopause at all:

- can't stand the heat (I regard 25 deg as the beginning of int0lerably hot) so hot flushes are not OK.

- need to sleep and insomnia sucks

- don't like my brain turning into porridge - I need it for work, and don't need moodiness,

- always had the Periods From Hell, with menstrual migraines to add to the joy

so

went from continuous pill (no periods, or one or two/year) to HRT at 52ish.

I have a Mirena every few years, and use Sandrena (oestrogen) gel.

16 years now, and so far fine. And my bone density is average for someone 30 years younger than I am.

I would probably stop if I got a hormone dependent tumour, but not otherwise.

How do you stop the flooding?

I am trying ponstane this month but I’ve been on antibiotics and I’m wondering if it really makes such a difference

I got a mirena for the flooding. It worked a charm. I am now fully menopausal and still have a mirena to ease the menopause symptoms a bit.

I'm not sure if I'm perimenopausal or not, but this year (age 45) my periods suddenly became very heavy, now under control with the Implanon. Actually, it's been almost five months without a period, which has been great. The implant expires when I'm 48, will probably need to get a checkup and decide if I need another three year implant by then.

My qualifty of life has gone up with the Implanon 😁 definitely a good decision..

I am so so happy to find this thread! Thank you!! I truly was starting to think I was going mad, or that 2020 had finally got to me. I am thinking i must def be in peri menopause and am wondering if I should book a doc appt to check a few things,

My anxiety seems to have gone up, and first it started being really noticeable at a certain time of month, and now it's just random and out of nowhere.

My formerly clockwork period has started becoming unpredictable, and super responsive to when my 11yo DD's barely-beginning period happens.

I have hairs growing fast on my chin.

My thyroid has started misbehaving. Also my cholesterol, but maybe that's age (or related to thyroid).

I've started having regular heart flutters. It was freaking my out as it went from once every few months to once most days. But I saw a cardiologist today and apparently this can happen in the lead up to menopause also.

This is me to a tee! Anxiety is off the charts with a marked increase as AF is due to arrive, and also seem to be lining up with my 2 girls cycles as well ( the 12 yo in particular)

I have stacked on the weight this year, my own fault with bad eating, but trying to shift any is pr ing to be VEry difficult ☹️

[blur=blue][/blur]

I am trying ponstane this month but I’ve been on antibiotics and I’m wondering if it really makes such a difference

I got a mirena for the flooding. It worked a charm. I am now fully menopausal and still have a mirena to ease the menopause symptoms a bit.

I tried the mirena but my body rejected it. Twice.

Wondering if an implant would be better? What would it do. Spit it out of my arm...

[blur=blue][/blur]

Wondering if an implant would be better? What would it do. Spit it out of my arm...

Eek, that sure is not great! Probably won't pop out, but who knows?, but everyone I know has not loved the arm one, due to mood swings . Some people have some sort of a scraping of their insides to reduce bleeding. Might that be an option?

Anxiety was absolutely a symptom for me, Ive never been anxious in my life and suddenly I'm stressing out about everything. Having said that, my biggest issues were crashing fatigue and brain fog, I just couldn't get through the day or *think* anymore.

The facebook Group, Menopause & Peri-Menopause Support Group Australia, has been a lifesaver for me.

[blur=blue][/blur]

Eek, that sure is not great! Probably won't pop out, but who knows?, but everyone I know has not loved the arm one, due to mood swings . Some people have some sort of a scraping of their insides to reduce bleeding. Might that be an option?

Tried the abulation and it grew back quickly

I;m just wondering, for those of you who've mentioned some of the symptoms of perimenopause, how old you all are?

I'm 37, and have been having all sorts of weird symptoms lately. I do have thyroid issues (Hashimoto's) and always have low iron, so it might just be that flaring up (although my levels have been good lately) but in the last few months I've had lots of headaches which I've never really had before. Plus extreme exhaustion and lack of energy, brain fog, irritable, and my anxiety keeps getting worse. I am dealing with twin toddlers at the moment and that in itself is exhausting, but I feel so much worse than when my older two kids (1.5 years apart) were in the toddler stage.

My periods have also become a bit strange - kind of flipped to how they always used to be, I always had heavy then light flow, but now it's light for a few days and then gets really heavy, and then suddenly stops. Could this be a sign I'm heading to perimenopause? I think I need to see my GP about it!

Hello

I'm in my mid forties so older than you.

I've got Hashimoto's and have experienced fluctuations in my thyroid function - currently I have high dose and low dose days. Once you get one autoimmune illness, you are more susceptible to getting others.

In my case, I've had Hashimoto's and insulin resistance for over two decades. Then I tested positive for the Crohn's gene after years of digestive issues a decade later.

Other autoimmune issues can also affect your menstruation.

It might be helpful to get some other tests done as well as your oestrogen and testosterone levels.

This is me to a tee! Anxiety is off the charts with a marked increase as AF is due to arrive, and also seem to be lining up with my 2 girls cycles as well ( the 12 yo in particular)

I have stacked on the weight this year, my own fault with bad eating, but trying to shift any is pr ing to be VEry difficult ☹️

Oh interesting!

I also started putting on weight, never really had in my life before. I've gone on the 5:2 which seems to keep it in check (when I take a break from it I can feel it piling on), but it doesn't seem to actually lose me any.

Having said that, my biggest issues were crashing fatigue and brain fog, I just couldn't get through the day or *think* anymore.

Oh my. This is me for the past 3 weeks, I've been wondering what's going on. It hadn't occurred to me it could be related.

Having said that, my biggest issues were crashing fatigue and brain fog, I just couldn't get through the day or *think* anymore.

Oh my. This is me for the past 3 weeks, I've been wondering what's going on. It hadn't occurred to me it could be related.

It's to do with estrogen loss. I saw a CT scan a while back of a woman before and during menopause and it made me want to weep.

There are so many niggling things that are related that most people don't realise. Heartburn, restless legs, weird thumping heart beats....so many.

ClaudiaCosette

Hello

I'm in my mid forties so older than you.

I've got Hashimoto's and have experienced fluctuations in my thyroid function - currently I have high dose and low dose days. Once you get one autoimmune illness, you are more susceptible to getting others.

In my case, I've had Hashimoto's and insulin resistance for over two decades. Then I tested positive for the Crohn's gene after years of digestive issues a decade later.

Other autoimmune issues can also affect your menstruation.

It might be helpful to get some other tests done as well as your oestrogen and testosterone levels.

Hello to you! And thank you for this. I hadn't thought about a connection between autoimmune diseases and menstruation, so that is good to know. I've been to the GP and am awaiting blood test results.

Advertisement