IGNORED

Medical checkup - particularly thyroid, anything else?

Spidey_Senses

Spidey_Senses

Since stopping breastfeeding I was slowly losing weight, then slowly started putting it on again. Im also feeling quite 'dopey' lately, eg memory and struggling with complicated tasks I normally find a lot easier.

It could well be just lack of sleep but Im thinking I should get a health checkup. I was thinking I should get my thyroid tested - I gather there is a proper test that a lot of doctors dont do they just do the basic one, does anyone know any more about the proper test? Is there anything else I should get checked - iron, vitamin D?

I also have quite heavy periods, I am on the mini pill and on the wait list to see a gyno to do something about them (mid 40s)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spidey_Senses

• Rosie28

• Mooguru

• Pip

Top Posters In This Topic

I've felt that way quite a bit since having a kid. Ive had blood test to check thyroid, I always get a borderline result so they do a second blood test to check TSH, but that always comes back okay so that's that. I also have low iron and Vit D.

Spidey_Senses

I think the complete panel is a TFT (thyroid function test) TSH, T3 and T4. Has been a while since I worked in pathology though...

Thanks, thats the info I was after. Im also really thirsty all the time lately... but then, its hot!

I think the complete panel is a TFT (thyroid function test) TSH, T3 and T4. Has been a while since I worked in pathology though...

Thanks, thats the info I was after. Im also really thirsty all the time lately... but then, its hot!

Though I worked in path I’m far from a doctor, but I’d be asking for glucose to be be tested as well (a fasting one), iron and ferritin and maybe some of the other hormones. Well worth a full checkup if you’re not feeling right!

I have something going on but because the tsh results appear normal no one is taking me seriously. Getting very sick of well being sick

This Pip. and ask for full bloods. Ï know my body and something is not right"

Increase in thirst is a serious diabetes indicator. Diabetes is serious enough that you should never ever ever feel silly for getting to a doctor or hospital pronto for a screening test.

Please do this if you can. It can deteriorate quickly.

(Daughter of a t1 diabetic).

Thyroid - include t3 t4 as part of full thyroid test

Blood work for tiredness - Iron, vit b, vitamin D, full haemoglobin can help. Sometimes if you are not anaemic but are thalassaemia minor (a carrier), tiredness is a symptom. A full haem can pick it up for further testing.

Diabetes -blood/ urine test

Are you sleeping well? Sleep apnoea ? Nutrient deficient? Talk to your gp and he/she can go

Through your history and current lifestyle/diet to get you all the tests you need. Hope you find an answer and feel better soon!

Spidey_Senses

Are you sleeping well? Sleep apnoea ? Nutrient deficient? Talk to your gp and he/she can go

Through your history and current lifestyle/diet to get you all the tests you need. Hope you find an answer and feel better soon!

I could definately use more sleep. I get about 6 hours most nights. I know I probably need more than that but its probably all Ive had since my son was born nearly 2 years ago and its only recently I have felt more tired and memory deficient. Anyway I have made an appointment with my doc next week so thank you everyone for the good advice :D

Only TSH is covered by Medicare as the first line of thyroid investigation, T3 & T4 are only covered by Medicare if TSH is abnormal or for other specific indications (link to Medicare Benefits Schedule http://www9.health.gov.au/mbs/fullDisplay.cfm?type=item&q=66719&qt=ItemID). If T4 & T3 are tested when TSH is normal, a Medicare rebate can’t be claimed so the patient will be out of pocket for the full cost of the test.

My GP only tests T3 and T4 if the others are abnormal.

Mum had symptoms for years before anything showed up on the regular thyroid tests and her T3 and 4 were tested.

Different doctors have different opinions of what TSH is ordinary. Some are happy with 5 but my endocronologist wants it under 3.0. Even if it's borderline I would push for treatment (and push for alternate medication if the standard doesn't work, my endo even has had patients do very badly on the generic but do ok on the branded)

Advertisement