IGNORED

Should I take toddler to ER? **not serious**

Guest Deleted User 1517

My poor toddler has been vomiting for the last two hours. They've got a possible graze on their cheek and around one eye. Daycare didnt mentioned anything to me so not sure if there was a fall. Nurse on call has told me to go to ER as could be signs of a head injury, but the kid just fell asleep and seems okay for the moment. Is it worth going to ER or waiting to see how things go? Google tells me there isnt much to be done for a mild concussion anyway, and I dont want to be 'that parent' turning up at ER for no reason.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ozgirl

• Kerilyntaryn21

• BECZ

• LifesGood

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BusbyWilkes

Better to go and feel like *that parent* than not go and have it be something serious.

Younger kids can go downhill quickly when they are unwell. Are the grazes scrapes or bruising?

OP, im glad that you ended up going, its always better to take the advice of Health Direct and not a bunch of internet randoms as we arent equiped to be able to give proper medical advice.

I hope she gets better very soon

I'm glad you went. I've read a suggestion recently that any toddler with a head injury, no matter how mild and any single other symptom, again, no matter how mild, should go to emergency.

How are you doing?

We finally saw a doctor at 2.30, she was still vomiting every 20mins. They think its just a stomach bug. Took a Covid swab and sent us home. We arrived home at 4 and have just woke up. So very tired still.

I'm glad you were seen and hope she feels better soon.

Fyi I had a similar concern during the depths of covid lockdown (baby hit her head on skirting board just before bedtime) and the home doctor service was triaged to my house within 45mins. 1300SICK.

I'm glad you were seen and hope she feels better soon.

Fyi I had a similar concern during the depths of covid lockdown (baby hit her head on skirting board just before bedtime) and the home doctor service was triaged to my house within 45mins. 1300SICK.

This is worth promoting- if we don’t use it we lose it and the home Dr service has been threatened to be cut many times.

OP, im glad that you ended up going, its always better to take the advice of Health Direct and not a bunch of internet randoms as we arent equiped to be able to give proper medical advice.

I hope she gets better very soon

I hope your little one is feeling better soon. There have been some nasty bugs going around. Dd managed to avoid it, but have it to me!

Health direct are good, but they skates seem to tell you to go to hospital, no matter what 😂

Yes, Ive found that too. Everytime I call them the direction is go to hospital.

All good, Id rather have them available to call in the middle of the night then not.

Kiddo hasnt vomited anymore, though she had diarrhoea once this morning. She's had some sleep, some toast and plenty of liquids. Really hoping this is a 24hr thing. She did have a temperture of high 37s around lunch time. I was 38.4.... so looks like I may have whatever it is too.

She is a bit wonky on her feet, which only worries me because the doctor asked, but it's clearly a stomach bug not a head injury.

Covid results came back as negative which is a relief.

Did you clarify with her carer's that she didn't hit her head?

I am not a neurosurgeon but have a lot of experience with head injuries' and the new advise is sleep is the best medicine. Verses years ago when they asked you to wake every 2 hours and orientate.

But def monitor her throwing up.

No. There are too many teachers right now at her daycare and little communication so I doubt they'd know.

She threw up again around 7pm. Sleeping on and off since. Im too scared to take her to bed or go to bed myself in case she starts vomiting again.

Advertisement