IGNORED

Backlash against the pill

LunaFreya

[mention]PocketMacrophobia[/mention], yes I've heard that Implanon can be good or bad, depending on the person (and may not be the same for the same person the second time around!) I've heard of people bleeding continuously on it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ozgirl

• LunaFreya

• VeritasVinumArte

• Froyo

Top Posters In This Topic

I went on the pill about 14 to help period pain.

I went on implanon late 20s, was great for about 18mths, started spotting so went back to dr got a new one. Spotting remained. Eventually took it out. Went back on the pill when I meet my ex. Then off it when we started TTC. Spotting came back, it really messed with our sex life.

And well we all know my TTC/IVF journey now.

I wish I hadnt taken birth control for so long. I wish I understood cycle tracking more. Or pushed for more investigations on my issues. Instead of masking it with the pill.

I'm a good news story for the pill. Was on it for more than 25 years, no issues at all. Even became pregnant within 4 months off the pill in my late 30s.

DD has been on the pill since she was 10. Horrendous periods. I do get a bit of tut tutting when people find out she's 15 and has been on the pill for more than 4 years. I DGAF. Works for her and makes a huge difference in her life. We will explore more "permanent" choices for her when she is ready.

I think the pill was revolutionary for women and we shouldn't discard that as we search for more and better options for women.

Obviously, there are some health issues for some people, as with any medication or health substance (natural or man made).

VeritasVinumArte

@Jerry even after 10 years on the Pill plus undiagnosed PCOS I did manage to fall pregnant 3 times with 6m of TTC. As I mentioned up thread I will be assuming within 2yrs DD will be on it for acne.

I'm a good news story for the pill. Was on it for more than 25 years, no issues at all. Even became pregnant within 4 months off the pill in my late 30s.

DD has been on the pill since she was 10. Horrendous periods. I do get a bit of tut tutting when people find out she's 15 and has been on the pill for more than 4 years. I DGAF. Works for her and makes a huge difference in her life. We will explore more "permanent" choices for her when she is ready.

I think the pill was revolutionary for women and we shouldn't discard that as we search for more and better options for women.

Obviously, there are some health issues for some people, as with any medication or health substance (natural or man made).

Are you a good news story or lucky?

Should your DD have more investigations?

I wish I had of pushed for more rather than just taking a script from the dr.

I think I am a good news story. I am sure that the pill works well for some people. I am one of those people. I don't think it was pure luck. There is science there too.

DD has had investigations. The pill works well for her now. It's better than the other options she was offered. As I said, will look for more permanent solutions for her in the next few years.

I am a firm believer that The Contraceptive Pill is, on the whole, for many women, a wonderful scientific solution. Obviously, one of many more options there are these days, thank goodness.

I had an extremely long and ultimately unsuccessful TTC journey. I was on the pill before we began trying. But I don't think it likely the OCP had anything much to do with my inability to get pregnant without ART, or my inability to successfully carry any of my pregnancies. Correlation does not equal causation. I'm very much a statistical outlier.

Thanks Jerry for elaborating.

And I do agree The Pill was a great invention for women. I just think there are a lot of women who regret their decisions to take it and that their feelings were dismissed.

Thanks for sharing [mention]Silverstreak[/mention] & [mention]PocketMacrophobia[/mention] 😁

Long term I’d like DH to get the snip but I’m happy to wait a bit longer as he can’t take the time off atm

Fruitmincepies

For a friend of mine, long term pill use masked the fact that she didn’t ovulate, which was very frustrating when they decided to TTC. I was on it for 12 years, my cycle was like clockwork before I went on it, and the same when I came off it.

I’m a big fan of my mirena, no periods is the best.

• 3 weeks later...

So I had a chat to my GP and I’m going onto the mini pill. I’d like to see how the lower dose of hormones affects me emotionally and if it’s better for me overall

I do need something really to take the edge off Endo as it’s been plaguing me since I was a teenager

I think the pill was just released for people to use before much research was done, because it solved a problem. But now with so many types and long term data I firmly believe no one should just start taking the pill. Full tests of current hormones so see what is actually needed. Never just given for period pain until they know what's causing it first as many have said it can hide problems.

Personally I can't touch them I mess with my hormones they mess with me.

Julie3Girls

I definitely agree it not for everyone. And fortunately, these days there are so many different options for birth control.

I will put my hand as another good news story. I’ve been on the pill since my early 20s. Went off 3 times, and each time fell pregnant quickly, 3 months was the longest. I have always felt incredibly lucky that having a family came easily without the difficulties so many couples face.

But I don’t think the pill working for me is a case of luck. Fact is, it does work for a lot of women. Like so many things, if you go hunting information, it’s always easier to find the negative stories, the problems. If something is working without major issues, they tend not to put it out there.

There is also a lot of more variety in “the pill” these days, different strengths etc. I have had to change my pill a couple of times, due to developing side effects over time as my body has changed,

The pill made me sick, but I have since found out I have an AI disease and a lot of things make me feel unwell when it is active, foods, medicines etc, looking back it was active when I went on the pill.

Advertisement