IGNORED

Backlash against the pill

LunaFreya

Has anyone noticed this over the past few years? There seems to be a backlash against the pill, I’ve seen people saying it “poisons” your body and destroys their fertility and people would be better off with “natural family planning”

Except, there are many like myself that use the pill for reasons other than contraception and find it works well for them. I’ve been on it for years to manage my endometriosis, as without it I have wild hormones, heavy, irregular periods and massive period pain.

So where does that leave us?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ozgirl

• LunaFreya

• VeritasVinumArte

• Froyo

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm over hormonal contraception, so for us that means dh having the snip. I'd hate to be dating though, I think if dh and I split up I'd seriously consider getting my tubes tied rather than going back to hormonal contraceptives, but I'm probably weird like that. I'm not exactly anti pill, it certainly has it's place and I'd better than risking an unwanted pregnancy, but all hormonal contraceptives also have their drawbacks

I have seen negative comments about 'normal' medical things since I was a kid including the pill, more, covid, cancer treatments, pap smears, breast exams so no I haven't noticed anything special recently.

Added I am not saying I think positive or negative things myself specifically about each of these I just dont think people are newly questioning them

I think more information is always better than the old patronising habit of you’ll offend the doctor if you questioned him (and I use him purposefully).

The pill isn’t for everyone and does have detrimental side effects for some. For others, it’s highly beneficial. As with all medications, it’s up to the individual and the health care providers to find the right balance after assessing all the risks and benefits.

I guess it leaves everyone taking or doing what works for them. Luckily we have an enormous range of options.

I was on the pill for years and while I don’t think it is poison, my mental health is better off it and I think it very effectively masked my PCOS symptoms so I had no idea there was a problem until we were TTC which wasn’t ideal. DH has now had a vasectomy so I’m hoping I never need anything ever again.

The pill turned me into a crazy person - irrationally angry, teary, depressed. I was not warned at all about these consequences by any health professional. I have since had GPs argue with me that this is not a side effect of the pill. I am not in anyway against the pill. However, I do think there needs to be better warnings about the potential mental health consequences. My DH had the snip so I don't have to have hormonal contraception again.

I do wonder if my mental health has anything to do with the pill. But I know if I’m off it my Endometriosis symptoms come back. Then my PMS goes way up and I’m on my back for five days a month with massive cramps and heavy periods

I had mental health issues from the pill for over a decade and didn't realise. It was only coming it off it to have my daughter and then going back on it (the same pill) briefly before IVF that I realised exactly how harmful it was to me mentally. It actually makes me pretty furious to realise I struggled so much for so long because no one had warned me that the pill could do that.

But I also know lots of women who have been on the pill for years and have not had these issues. Again, I just think we need better warnings and information so women can make informed choices.

Like a few PP here, I also had volatile mental health on the pill and stopped taking it early 20s, using condoms and spermicidal jelly. (As an aside, what a shame so many contraceptive spermicide options were less available by the late 90's. There used to be a great jelly intended for diaphragms - but of course they hardly ever sold then either.)

After age 35 we were TTC. DH had the snip after DD was born, as I wasn't keen on mirena either.

I suspect there's some dodgy anti-science backswell on many medications, led by influencers without medical standing. I was surprised to learn a popular fitness raw food advocate was telling impressionable teenagers it's healthy to eat so little your periods stop! That is so harmful.

However I do agree that people do need to validate and ask questions about side effects. And unfortunately there's lots of evidence and anecdata where women haven't been listened to by their medical professionals, (eg endometriosis treatment options and awareness are very new) which in turn creates distrust.

PocketMacrophobia

Its a medication. Any medication should be be taken seriously with consideration of side effects, the circumstances of the individual, enough info the the person taking it can monitor any effects it had on them.

Yet I've had many Drs prescribe brands that clearly shouldn't have been (including prescribing the progesterone only pill, not the combined pill without telling me). And sighs about me not wanting to use it.

So I can see why there could be a large number of women that have had very real problems with the pill in general. Not because of what it is necessarily but because it's a very widely used medication, with a range of uses, that doesn't necessarily get prescribed with appropriate care?

The pill kills my libido, makes me gain weight and I have a generally low mood when I’m on it. Had a Mirena for 2yrs after DS1 was born and I gained 19kg.

DH got the snip when Ds2 was 18mths old, I was done with hormonal contraception.

Maybe not a backlash, maybe there are just more options now? And people are more aware of those options?

Even the pill itself, there are many different types now. Then there are implants and IUDs.

And men are more willing to get vasectomies.

I think women are just realising that we don’t have to be on the pill if we don’t want to be, we don’t have to take sole responsibility for birth control, there are options.

I am another where the pill messed with my mental health.

Not a huge believer in hormones being pumped into anyone for no medical reason - not being pregnant is a beneficial side-effect, sure, but the costs need to be looked at at times more closely than a blithe "well, lets try another cocktail".

In which instance it is a medical need - so I have no problem.

I do, however, wish that endometriosis and PCOS were more studied and understood than bandaided.

I lived in a country where you could buy the pill in a pharmacy on the shelf (not even over the counter). I felt angry when I came back to Australia and had to get a prescription. It felt like I was being denied my rights.

But then years later I realised it was masking other symptoms of endometriosis and I would have preferred to have known that earlier on as it would have been helpful info

I may just breastfeed until I go into menopause as not having a period is lovely 😂

The pill turned me into a crazy person - irrationally angry, teary, depressed. I was not warned at all about these consequences by any health professional. I have since had GPs argue with me that this is not a side effect of the pill. I am not in anyway against the pill. However, I do think there needs to be better warnings about the potential mental health consequences. My DH had the snip so I don't have to have hormonal contraception again.

Yes. My mental health went too. Then they wanted to switch pills. I wasn’t sure the risk was worth it. How many months of ill health could I risk?

While being treated for PND my pysch asked me not to go on the mini pill. That it will worsen my mental health. In the end it seemed best not to go back on hormonal contraception.

I have noticed there's been a lot of negative publicity over Mirena over the last few years however.

Maybe not a backlash, maybe there are just more options now? And people are more aware of those options?

Even the pill itself, there are many different types now. Then there are implants and IUDs.

And men are more willing to get vasectomies.

I think women are just realising that we don’t have to be on the pill if we don’t want to be, we don’t have to take sole responsibility for birth control, there are options.

I think the pill has been the default for so many years, with realistically no long term knowledge about the impacts or side effects until they happened. Is it true that the pill wouldn’t get approval now due to the side effects?

But where does that leave us with Endo? I’m not sure if I could get off, I’d be back on in another month

Nothing changes. It’s a choice, you take the pill cause it works for you. I have a mirena cause it works for me. The pill won’t cease to exist. Millions of women still take it every day.

But where does that leave us with Endo? I’m not sure if I could get off, I’d be back on in another month

It leaves you with staying on the pill if you want/need too.

That’s a valid option, just as choosing to not take it for whatever reason is a valid option.

I haven't seen anything. Ive never been able to take it though, the 3 times I tried as a teenager I was violently ill. So Ive never used contraception. I was recommended it to help with acne.

Advertisement