IGNORED

Tranexamic acid

BKK

My doctor just prescribed me Tranexamic Acid for heavy periods.

I failed with the merena twice as well as the abulation.

Has anyone else had success with the Tranexamic acid tablets? Do they work best if you take ponstan with them or before?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BKK

• Rosie28

• Hmmmmm

• Too tired to care

Top Posters In This Topic

Lukes mummi

Yes they worked fantastic for me. I can’t remember about the ponstsan, but I remember the doctor saying they work best taken the hour the period starts. So you basically need to carry them around with you 24/7.

Too tired to care

best things ever!

My gyno said to start taking ponstan the day before and to take the tranexamic acid tablets at first sign of blood. I only take them 3 times a day for three days and now i have normal to light periods and only a little pain.

I was told to take them the day before my period started and then for days 1 and 2. Worked brilliantly, I’ve used it for periods 1-3 after each of the three kids.

My daughter has this prescribed for her periods.

I have this prescribed because I have a bleeding disorder - Von Willibrands type 1. I was only diagnosed late in life, I believe my daughter has it but her first test said she didn't - it can take a few tests to get a correct diagnosis as stress can alter the readings and DD was pretty stressed at the time of the blood test.

I urge all women who have terrible periods to be tested for Von Willibrands. Excessive bleeding during your period is one symptom ( I didn't have it that bad and now have the mirena so don't get any) but I get terrible bruises and bleed from tiny cuts etc. Now i know I can look back on past surgeries and injuries and i think that it all makes sense now.

A good tip if you have a bad cut crush a tablet between teaspoons and mix with water, put the paste on the cut and it will stop bleeding - this is the only way I can stop bleeding apart from a bandage! which if you cut your knuckle a bandage won't work lol

I thought ponstan was tranexamic acid? I take ponstan, not as much as.recommended and it works a treat.

I thought it was a pain killer? Mefanamic acid?

I thought it was a pain killer? Mefanamic acid?

PONSTAN containing mefenamic acid belongs to a group of medicines called Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (or NSAIDs). These medicines work by relieving pain and inflammation. Although PONSTAN can relieve the symptoms of pain and inflammation, it will not cure your condition.

So this is along the lines of Nurofen. Anti inflammatory medication but the mefanamic acid is meant to help stop the bleeding and the other parts stop the pain associated.

There is over the counter ponstan or the prescription postan:

Ponstan 250mg Capsules 50

This means you get the same strength but can get a lot more for the price you pay for scripts.

Advertisement