IGNORED

Blood pressure - how low is too low?

cardamom

Does anyone know when low blood pressure considered problematic?

I just went to get my flu vaccine and the GP took my BP before the vax. She didn't comment on it but I saw the machine display, which was 70 over 44. That's pretty low, isn't it? My BP has tended towards the lower side since losing weight a few years ago but usually hovers around 90/60. When I've complained of dizziness/headspins etc. to GPs in the past the only recommendation I've been given is to try to add more salt to my diet...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• STBG 2

• cardamom

• DaLittleEd

• IamtheMumma

Top Posters In This Topic

Just keep in mind that pregnancy might affect it too. Mine was always low BC (before child) but during pregnancy it was really low (50/35) they weren't overly concerned, I just had to be careful when standing up etc.

It's normal now AC (after child). Don't know if that was due to changes from pregnancy or maybe related to the auto immune disease I have now (or just because I am now a heavier weight).

Winter frost

I have low blood pressure. My go is never particularly concerned, but it does crash very quickly under anesthetic.

.i do find if i am not careful with eating more than the average amound of salt and water i get dizzy easily, but it is usually solveable pretty quickly.

I think if you are getting dizzy and it isnt solved by water or salt then definitely time for a chat. But i am not sure that blood pressure in itself is a problem.

With the massive disclaimer i am not a doctor....

IamtheMumma

If you were in hospital, I'd be calling an emergency because it is too low. Definitely something to make an appointment to discuss with the GP. In the meantime, increase your fluids.

Just keep in mind that pregnancy might affect it too. Mine was always low BC (before child) but during pregnancy it was really low (50/35) they weren't overly concerned, I just had to be careful when standing up etc.

It's normal now AC (after child). Don't know if that was due to changes from pregnancy or maybe related to the auto immune disease I have now (or just because I am now a heavier weight).

Oh gosh, I am concerned that they were not concerned about 50/35. :o That would be a MET call for me.

Your GP should have double checked your BP a few moments after a reading of 70/44. At that level standing up without feeling dizzy is usually impossible for most people so if you are home and feel okay then I would say all is good now but it is definitely worth discussing this next GP visit.

Being a bit dehydrated can definitely cause a fall in your BP so as PP have said you might need to up your intake a little.

Good luck.

That’s on the low side and I would’ve expected the GP to manually check it after a short period of time.

Are you symptomatic? Feel dizzy on standing/when exercising? I’d make an appointment with a GP to get it checked.

If you’re concerned in the mean time you can get it checked at most chemists to keep an eye on it.

Oh gosh, I am concerned that they were not concerned about 50/35. :o That would be a MET call for me.

I thought it was odd, but anywho. I think I threw out the documents (or maybe the hospital kept them) it was like this booklet with all your measurements etc from all the checkups that you would take with you. It was pretty stable around 60/40 most of the pregnancy with a few lower readings. I think they did do extra blood tests come to think of it. Anyway, I ended up taking mat leave a bit early than planned and just resting a lot.

Yep, that's pretty low. I'd chat with a GP about it.

Were you well hydrated at the time?

Hmm, no more/less hydrated than usual, if that makes sense.

Your GP should have double checked your BP a few moments after a reading of 70/44. At that level standing up without feeling dizzy is usually impossible for most people so if you are home and feel okay then I would say all is good now but it is definitely worth discussing this next GP visit.

Are you symptomatic? Feel dizzy on standing/when exercising? I’d make an appointment with a GP to get it checked.

Yes, I've been having dizzy spells fairly regularly (a couple of times a week - on standing I'll sway and have to hold on to something and close my eyes with my head down and wait for it to pass. Occasionally it's not when I stand, just comes out of nowhere) for a few years now but the GP hasn't seemed particularly concerned. Whenever I've had my BP checked in that time it's consistently been around 90/60 or thereabouts.

I've had low blood pressure in the past - often. I also used to pass out sometimes (once on an international flight, I didn't come round until they put oxygen on me).

I was always told to add more salt to my diet as I never added it.

Now I'm older and a bit more rounded (still in normal weight) my blood pressure is fine. My heart rate can drop to 32bpm over night but I was told this is normal (watch measurement). My resting heart rate (by watch) is between 54 and 62.

I'll never forget when they pulled morphine off me in emergency as my heart rate dropped to 30bpm awake. I was bummed, I loved that stuff....

Yep, that's pretty low. I'd chat with a GP about it.

Were you well hydrated at the time?

Hmm, no more/less hydrated than usual, if that makes sense.

Yes, I've been having dizzy spells fairly regularly (a couple of times a week - on standing I'll sway and have to hold on to something and close my eyes with my head down and wait for it to pass. Occasionally it's not when I stand, just comes out of nowhere) for a few years now but the GP hasn't seemed particularly concerned. Whenever I've had my BP checked in that time it's consistently been around 90/60 or thereabouts.

You sound like you have some postural hypotension ( me too. ) If your pulse goes up as your BP goes down you may have POTS. These are generally harmless and it is more about managing your symptoms such as getting up really slowly from lying or sitting and the normal `'drink plenty' rule but I think your GP really should listen and eliminate any other possibility.

I have low blood pressure...very hard to get back anywhere near something that will allow discharge post anaesthetic. Have much experience of trying to convince medical professionals I do feel fine.

Anyway, DH tells me that the panic button was pushed during labour when the top number got down to 56. I don't remember this at all...just coming around to a room far fuller of people than were there before.

There is an extent that the raw numbers don't tell a complete story - how you feel is relative to your "normal". But gee, those numbers sound low even to me.

Advertisement