IGNORED

Medication for anxiety

Mrs Claus

I have had (undiagnosed) anxiety for years. Usually I can control it but lately it seems to be getting worse (aging maybe?) DH is away for work this week and on Tuesday I had my first real anxiety attack that I couldn’t control. Sick/heavy feeling in stomach, hot flashes, shakes, restlessness, heavy legs/arms etc.

I’ve got a doctors appointment today to discuss possibly going on medication. Just wondering if anyone is/has used medication for anxiety and has any advice? (Not medical opinions obviously) thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amdirel

• Kiwi Bicycle

• Mrs Claus

• LunaFreya

Top Posters In This Topic

My DD went to the GP last year for meds. GP wasn't comfortable in prescribing, but agreed she needed something and advocated for an urgent psychiatrist appointment.

I just wanted to mention that in case you have your hopes up for meds then and there, like we did! Some GP's will prescribe though, so you may be lucky.

She started on meds, initial dose stopped the panic attacks, but still a bit anxious, so after about 6 weeks he increased the dose. Anxiety is fantastic now, but depression symptoms are evident. She's just had the dose increased again to the maximum dose. This is about 7 months after starting. If this doesn't work, he's going to think about adding something else, or changing to another.

So it can take a little while to get it right.

Also as psych said, meds is just one part of the answer. CBT with a psychologist is another, as is lifestyle- eating well, sleeping well, exercising, hobbies to engage your mind etc. DD doesn't eat or sleep, so that's another couple of things we are working on.

But meds definitely changed her life!!

Good luck, I hope you can get some help and start feeling better.

Kiwi Bicycle

I started meds last year due to Covid. I am on Lexam daily plus have another drug for panic attacks ( take as required). Lucky I respondd to the lowest dise of Lexam.

It took the edge off the totally physical symptoms fear I had, helped me sleep and now I feel normal. Extreme issues ( like an outbreak in my suburb at the start of the year), still cause me distress, but not as bad as before.

Now I have the physical under control, mediation/ deep breathing etc can actually work.

My advice. Be really honest with your GP. Don't brush off or minimise how you feel and how it is affecting you.

My psychologist gave me some good advice about food when I was very anxious: eat what you are comfortable with and in small doses. This takes the pressure off you so much and you are getting food in you. A multivitamin can help too with the nutrition

An other trick I have found helps is treating this like an illness. Sometimes it affects you severely, sometimes not as much. When it does get to the worse times just remember to take care of yourself just as if you had the flu or a cold. I often have a list of things I can do for self-care.

For sleeping, what gets me is silencing those anxious thoughts. I have found listening to an audio book helps. When those thoughts and doubts come in, you just tell yourself to listen and you relax and drift off to sleep.

More exercise also helps with sleep.

I've found taking a sleep supplement(Swisse or Blackmores) really helps me get to sleep at night.

I describe it as helping to shut my brain off at night.

Advertisement