• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LemonMyrtle

• Odd-1-Out

• riotproof

• Sincerely

Top Posters In This Topic

Silverstreak

Jewish pen-icillin! (Chicken soup). Nice on the throat when you're sick and will help keep you hydrated. Plus baths and showers to clear out the sinuses and as much rest as possible. Aloe vera tissues are gentle on a sore nose too.

Supplements that might help one’s immune system if there’s a deficiency:

Vitamin C (preferably a bowl of mixed fresh fruit rather than a tablet)

Vitamin D

zinc

selenium

We also keep Sambucol liquid as well as lozenges handy

These have worked really well in our household for years, but I believe they only help if there’s a deficiency. I don’t believe in ‘mega’ doses.

Just searched the literature on what supplements are recommended for boosting the immune system to help fight COVID infections (should also be applicable to the common cold virus). The top five seem to be:

Vit C

Vit D

zinc

Omega 3 fats

selenium

The other beneficial supplements included Vit E & iron.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7415215/

https://www.nutraingredients.com/Article/2020/10/21/Diet-and-supplements-Swiss-panel-publishes-COVID-19-recommendations#

Just note that lemsio has paracetamol. Don’t double up and take it separately.

Some lemsips have paracetamol.

If there are some that don’t, please share. I’m sure that would be helpful to the op.

Panadol, honey and lemon hot drinks, vicks on feet with socks on, and good 'ol home made chicken soup - it's always good for the soul!!!!

All of this!

nom_de_plume

Sleep and Sudafed, the proper stuff you have to hand your licence over for. The Nasonex spray is okay as well for short term use. Anything more than a couple days and I end up with blood noses. Such is the joy of having sinuses that need to be operated on.

I also highly recommend a hot toddy. Probably does stuff all medically but tastes nice as a night cap!

LemonMyrtle

Feeling a bit better today. Didn’t drink enough yesterday, and I think that has delayed a small amount of recovery.

I’ll probably cough my way through the girls weekend, but I don’t feel like I’ll be contagious. It’s over a week since I got sick.

Just wish I could get a full nights sleep, I keep coughing. So annoying. I’ll take another polaramine tonight, that helped a lot with sleep.

I am so sick of eating fruit though! It’s my least favourite food group.

LemonMyrtle

And note to the followers: do NOT eat Jin ramen spicy noodles when you are at the coughing stage of a cold. That was a bad, bad idea. Pretty sure I could be heard from miles away trying to recover from that one.

Feeling a bit better today. Didn’t drink enough yesterday, and I think that has delayed a small amount of recovery.

I’ll probably cough my way through the girls weekend, but I don’t feel like I’ll be contagious. It’s over a week since I got sick.

Just wish I could get a full nights sleep, I keep coughing. So annoying. I’ll take another polaramine tonight, that helped a lot with sleep.

I am so sick of eating fruit though! It’s my least favourite food group.

Sorry OP - fresh fruit was one of my suggestions, but I had listed all those things as worth taking in amounts that would cover any possible deficiencies.

I hope your condition continues to improve & you are able to enjoy the weekend with your friends.

Sancti-claws

My sister swears by a shot made of apple cider vinegar and honey (with a bit of warm water, I think). Apparently it helps the throat and does something-something (can't remember hehe).

Mum drank that (with cold water) throughout the day when her Ross River arthritis flares were worst.

I hope you got to get your weekend (and you don't get wet).

Mine appears to have just started so came in for some advice! Am cooking Chicken, Ginger and Garlic Soup today.

Princess Peach

Im on day 9 of my cold and it is gstting worse not better ☹

Poor thing, I’d be seriously considering a GP appointment if you haven’t gone already, for me that is usually a sign of a secondary infection starting up - be it sinus or chest.

Not Escapin Xmas

Poor thing, I’d be seriously considering a GP appointment if you haven’t gone already, for me that is usually a sign of a secondary infection starting up - be it sinus or chest.

I agree. Colds are done in 4-5 days. 9 days? Something else is going on.

LemonMyrtle

I agree. Colds are done in 4-5 days. 9 days? Something else is going on.

Everyone I talk to who has has a cold similar to mine has said it’s gone on for 2 week or more. It’s just a bastard virus. Kids too. It’s not your typical winter cold. But I also think we are lacking immunity to it due to lockdown, so it’s bound to last longer (but I have another thread about that going)

It went through our house 2 weeks before holidays. Got DD first, then me, then DS. I was SO SICK - I actually got scared and covid tested us all! It hung around for at least 2 weeks and I barely ate in that entire time.

Odd-1-Out

I was going to try and get a dr's appointment today but when I woke up my chest pain was gone. I still feel weak and have these moments where I suddenly feel really hot and dizzy but overall feel better than yesterday. Whatever it is, it likes to hang around.

LemonMyrtle

I’m still sick by the way so none of your remedies work! 😝

Tonight I have fevers again. Hooray. Not.

Going to the Dr again on Wednesday (that’s the earliest I can get) and they better give me antibiotics this time, cause this is not a normal lingering of a cold.

Means I finally have to get a damn covid test too. Even though it’s 100% not covid. But gotta tick that box. Such a pain.

I was coming to say that a big glass of red, or a pint of beer, can do wonders, but I see you went for the whole bottle :lol:

If you're back to having fevers it definitely sounds more than a regular cold, totally should have cleared up by now!

Odd-1-Out

I’m still sick by the way so none of your remedies work! 😝

Tonight I have fevers again. Hooray. Not.

Going to the Dr again on Wednesday (that’s the earliest I can get) and they better give me antibiotics this time, cause this is not a normal lingering of a cold.

Means I finally have to get a damn covid test too. Even though it’s 100% not covid. But gotta tick that box. Such a pain.

I think we must have something similar. I am on day 16 of my "cold". The Dr wouldn't give me anything for it last week and I am at my wits end. I hope you get better soon.

Seayork2002

So, a bottle of wine really helps you feel better. But I don’t recommend that on a daily basis 😂

My dad swears by an entire bottle of cognac, he doesn't get many colds thankfully but he swears it works

Advertisement