IGNORED

Cold and flu remedies

LemonMyrtle

LemonMyrtle

I have a cold and I need to be better by Friday for a girls weekend!

This is day 5 and my sinuses are still blocked, it’s so annoying.

So hit me with your best cold remedies, I’ll try anything. I’m desperate.

(And don’t worry, talking to the dr today for a dr certificate, but nothing they can do for a virus)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LemonMyrtle

• Odd-1-Out

• riotproof

• Sincerely

Top Posters In This Topic

Supplements that might help one’s immune system if there’s a deficiency:

Vitamin C (preferably a bowl of mixed fresh fruit rather than a tablet)

Vitamin D

zinc

selenium

We also keep Sambucol liquid as well as lozenges handy

These have worked really well in our household for years, but I believe they only help if there’s a deficiency. I don’t believe in ‘mega’ doses.

When my sinuses are blocked, I find the fastest way to clear them out and get all the gunk moving is the old-fashioned Vicks in a bowl of almost boiling water with a towel over your head. Your eyes and nose will stream, but I always seem to improve once my sinuses stop being so blocked.

A lot of sinus & cold & flu medication work to "dry things up" but this is the opposite approach.

ETA I had workmates who swear by sambucol liquid for shortening a cold. It might be placebo but it tastes good and makes me feel like I'm doing something, so I use it too now!

Since being either pregnant or breastfeeding for what feels like the last few years I haven't been able to take any decongestants and agree with the PP who tries to get things running.

I use the Flo nasal kits twice per day where you pump saline water through the sinuses from each side of your nostril. They are disgusting but once I do it everything feels so clear!

I then also use saline nasal spray throughout the day before blowing my nose to keep it all moving. And hydrate yourself really well too.

I then also use saline nasal spray throughout the day before blowing my nose to keep it all moving. And hydrate yourself really well too.

Yes! Forget to mention the saline spray. Really helps to clear sinuses. And lots of warm drinks - I drink gallons of lemon & ginger tea when I'm unwell.

Seayork2002

When my sinuses are blocked, I find the fastest way to clear them out and get all the gunk moving is the old-fashioned Vicks in a bowl of almost boiling water with a towel over your head. Your eyes and nose will stream, but I always seem to improve once my sinuses stop being so blocked.

A lot of sinus & cold & flu medication work to "dry things up" but this is the opposite approach.

ETA I had workmates who swear by sambucol liquid for shortening a cold. It might be placebo but it tastes good and makes me feel like I'm doing something, so I use it too now!

I came in to mention the hot water towel over the head but I put eucalyptus in, Vicks would work the same though

I find echinacea works well, but in saying that I always take it at the first sign of a cold. Panadol, honey and lemon hot drinks, vicks on feet with socks on, and good 'ol home made chicken soup - it's always good for the soul!!!!

My go to is a batch of hot apple cider. I make it in a slow cooker and have it on warm all day.

Basically, it’s just unfiltered apple juice (there’s some good shop bought Tassie ones or juice your own), some cinnamon quills, cloves (my kids find the flavour too strong so I only use 1), nutmeg, allspice, orange peel, lemon peel, I squeeze in some orange and lemon juice too, and some brown sugar. I do everything to taste so usually less sugar and more lemon juice.

LemonMyrtle

Well I had a big fruit smoothie for breakfast. So that should help. One tick for extra vitamins.

And I do like to sip on hot drinks all day, mainly to keep the throat tickle at bay. So that’s another tick.

Might take a multivitamin as well. Just in case.

And think I’ll have soup for lunch. Tinned, lol, cause I CBF cooking today. Maybe I’ll order Uber ears and get a nice wonton soup.

Chicken Pie

this in our household seems to work; or in shower flush sinuses with salt water

Rest, basically. And I would get some cold and flu (the proper stuff with amphetamines) for the weekend, so that you can dry things up and won't be sneezing germs onto your friends.

If you're hungry enough to look forward to takeaway then you're not that sick. Just rest and do the Vicks/saline nasal stuff.

Sleep, very spicy food like a curry help for me. I gave my DH a teaspoon of horseradish once when his sinuses were blocked. He couldnt even taste it but it cleared it right up in a few hours.

LemonMyrtle

Rest, basically. And I would get some cold and flu (the proper stuff with amphetamines) for the weekend, so that you can dry things up and won't be sneezing germs onto your friends.

If you're hungry enough to look forward to takeaway then you're not that sick. Just rest and do the Vicks/saline nasal stuff.

Is that you mum?? 😂😂

Flash back to my childhood. That line goes with “well you can’t be that hungry if you don’t want dinner”

Is that you mum?? 😂😂

Flash back to my childhood. That line goes with “well you can’t be that hungry if you don’t want dinner”

No I meant in a reassuring way! I'm obsessed with food, but if I'm actually sick it holds no interest for me. So you must be ok/already on the mend.

LemonMyrtle

Is that you mum?? 😂😂

No I meant in a reassuring way! I'm obsessed with food, but if I'm actually sick it holds no interest for me. So you must be ok/already on the mend.

I know, I get it. Poor DS hasn’t eaten properly in a week, and he loves food.

I’m making some 2 min ramen noodles for lunch, that should clear the sinuses.

ClaudiaCosette

I use a lot of saline nasal spray when my sinuses are blocked, and that always helps. I also like a hot honey and lemon juice (or orange juice, if I have oranges instead of lemons) to soothe a sore throat.

Princess Peach

Saline spray, old school antihistamines & olive leaf extract are my go to cold remedies.

But keel a check on things, it isn’t difficult for a cold to morph into a sinus infection - so if you wake up one morning feeling like your eyeballs are going to explode out of your head, go back to your GP.

I listened to a podcast recently (can't remember which one... will check and post again) that compared things like Vit C etc in cold prevention / healing.

End result was that Vitamin C is worth a shot for reducing length of a cold, as was zinc.

Saline spray is the bomb. Antihistamines can help and I always use neurofen (both can help with the inflammation of the sinuses which can then lead to a blockage and potential sinus infection).. A hot facewasher on the face is good too. Oh and like [mention]Princess Peach[/mention] says just watch out for it morphing into a sinus infection. I likened my last one to someone punching me in the cheek repeatedly.

Since being either pregnant or breastfeeding for what feels like the last few years I haven't been able to take any decongestants and agree with the PP who tries to get things running.

I use the Flo nasal kits twice per day where you pump saline water through the sinuses from each side of your nostril. They are disgusting but once I do it everything feels so clear!

This is what I was coming to say!

I had a cold when in early pregnancy in the US, my first I couldnt hit it with ALL, THE, DRUGS

Was introduced to nasal sprays.

Have used for every cold since.

Saline spray, old school antihistamines & olive leaf extract are my go to cold remedies.

Yes I find the old school antihistamines like polaramine much more effective than the branded cold g flu tablets with PE. So saline, inhaling etc during the day to keep it running and clear it out, and one antihistamine at night to dry it out so I can get a decent sleep.

Advertisement