IGNORED

Hives question

Fruitmincepies

Fruitmincepies

I’m a fairly experienced allergy parent thanks to DD, but we haven’t had hives much. DH did bath tonight, and pointed out that DS had lots of bites... clustered on the same spot on each upper arm and upper leg. They look more like hives to me, so I’ve given him an antihistamine. No other symptoms.

I’m quite intrigued by the presentation of them in basically the same spot on each limb. Is this a thing or just a weird coincidence?

And now I’ve got to figure out what he’s allergic to. I was hoping he had escaped the family allergy curse!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fruitmincepies

• DaLittleEd

• riotproof

• LifesGood

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you will, but see your GP.

Does he do swimming? I’d rule out molluscum contagion first.

Also, kids can get random hives. Sometimes, it can be a viral thing.

It really could be nothing.

Fruitmincepies

No swimming, definitely doesn’t look like molluscum.

DD did have them randomly once, I should see if I’ve still got the photo I took for the allergist.

Are they raised and hard like lumps? Or more flat and softer like hives? Did they respond to antihistamine?

Keep an eye on them over the next few days. Psoriasis often presents symetrically. When DD first got psoriasis I has so confused as to what it was (so was the GP a bit at first). We considered and ruled out, excema, ringworm and others. Dermatologist recognised it straight away though

tinselfoil hat

I used to get hives almost constantly before I did the RPAH elimination diet and sorted my triggers. They were almost always symmetrical across my body and usually on my lower limbs. I have no idea why!

Hope your child is feeling better soon!

Fruitmincepies

Actually, could the smoke be having an impact?

Hmmm, good question! I’m going to feed him exactly the same things tomorrow and keep a close eye on him. Hopefully it’s a one off.

Fruitmincepies

I used to get hives almost constantly before I did the RPAH elimination diet and sorted my triggers. They were almost always symmetrical across my body and usually on my lower limbs. I have no idea why!

Luckily he’s feeling fine. He thought I was weird checking his arms and legs all the time, but he really likes the antihistamine so was happy to get that.

He eats so few foods an elimination diet would be very funny.

I get hives easily. Usually from stress or heavily perfumed products on my skin like soap and lotions.

With the stress hives, it will present symmetrically. The contact reaction occurs only to the areas exposed.

Not Escapin Xmas

Off topic, but my theory is that the ‘lower limbs’ is because it’s to do with where the nerve endings are. Which is also why they are symmetrical... just my theory!

My husband and I both get hives randomly - well, as far as we can tell it's random. Our histamines might see a pattern that we don't. His are almost always on his torso and legs and mine are more often on my arms. I don't know if you'll get to the bottom of it, sorry. We never have. The good news is that any antihistamine works well.

Kiwi Bicycle

I am strange in that I get stress hives, on top of my right hand only. My GP explained that your skin is a chimera genetics wise ( so a mixture of DNA in each skin cell) and this is why different bits of your skin react differently to other parts. I did 3rd year genetics at university so this does make sense to me.

Hills Mum Bec

My DD16 gets random hives, we have no idea what the trigger is but they are usually symetrical. Start on her torso and then the tops of her legs and the tops of her arms. They are treated easily with antihistamine.

I used to get hives similar to this as a child. I eventually outgrew them, though still get the odd patch. The only thing we could ever figure out that triggered them was water. I'd often get them after swimming in the river/dam/pool or even after a bath or shower when I was reaction often.

Advertisement