IGNORED

Ozgirl's immune issues (changed from hives) - Update

Ozgirl

overlytired

I am glad youre feeling better, and if i were you, would still ask for allergy testing so that you know what you're allergic to and avoid those triggers as much as possible. It's great they have meds to treat you, but you'd likely feel better overall by avoiding having a reaction in the first place.

Agree with PP; allergy = immune response, and some are more severe than others. "Just hives" shouldn't be dismissed.

Might just be hives this time, but next time it might just be an ana reaction(in my limited experience anyway).

Yes this is very true.

Im flaring again. Its so strange.

The Dr told me you basically cant OD on antihistamines.

Here is an interesting thing.

Yesterday my left side lower lip swelled, today right lower, tonight right up is expanding.

An hour ago I let a cute boy come over and collect biscuits I made for a morning tea I missed this morning.

Lets just say if I was like the 2hrs ago I wouldn't have let him in!

Im going home to sydney tomorrow (if im okay in the morning)

dr prepared a letter and sent to my sydney GP, will raise testing with him.

It sounds as though you are stressed (being with your parents, if they are difficult?) which won't help the reactions.

I hope your regular GP is more familiar with the concept of allergy testing.

It sounds as though you are stressed (being with your parents, if they are difficult?) which won't help the reactions.

I hope your regular GP is more familiar with the concept of allergy testing.

Its hard, I enjoy being here and overall has been good for my mental health. But Living with them is not easy.

But moving (and therefore getting my own place) is just too far of a leap for me right now . Im lucky I can flit between.

I dont think it's my parents (though the certainly dont help) theres lots of other stressors, and having just done 6mths of IVF is also a likely contributor too.

So I had a good night sleep.

And woke up worst again. Had a review appt with the Dr who again called the tertiary hospital and got the consult who confirmed it just a waiting game and it likely to be around for 6 weeks. (Yay!)

He is happy for me to be referred into his clinic at the hospital.

Just got to organise that (2hr drive)

Hmmmm

'Medication history is particularly important. Urticaria can be caused by a number of medications including non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), opioids, antibiotics, antidepressants, antihypertensives, antifungals, angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors and cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 inhibitors. Urticaria can appear many months to years after starting the medications.'

https://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2014/september/evaluation,-diagnosis-and-management-of-chronic-urticaria/

It's common with steroids that you have to taper off; you don't just stop them completely.

Auto immune stuff doesn't necessarily follow a neat pattern. It might not be as easy as reacting to the scratch test and not eating/touching that thing again. In my experience, once your immune reaction shits the bed, it's chaos from here on in.

Fruitmincepies

It's common with steroids that you have to taper off; you don't just stop them completely.

Auto immune stuff doesn't necessarily follow a neat pattern. It might not be as easy as reacting to the scratch test and not eating/touching that thing again. In my experience, once your immune reaction shits the bed, it's chaos from here on in.

A few days of pred doesn’t need weaning, according to my rheumatologist (and my personal use of it) but you should always follow the specific instructions you have been given of course.

We’ve been having some hives issues with DS, so I’ve been reading up on them. This was the resource I found most useful:

https://allergyfacts.org.au/allergy-anaphylaxis/urticaria-hives

Yeah you can def stop them cold if you only take for 3 days.

The quote I shared above is that it may mean that ones of my meds has caused it.

I ended up having a minor panic attack and so thought I was getting Ana. So came to the clinic. They have been monitoring for a few hours now.

The good news is that I have an appt with a immunologist on Monday.

Princess Peach

Yep, my kid now has a 6 day course of prep as standard for his asthma flairs, no need to wean off that one.

But NSAID’s can certainly cause hives, both my mum & my kid break out from them (mum’s was much longer build up, kiddo was after the 3rd dose).

The bloody hospital gave me Nurofen yesterday!

And I took some this morning.

Im worried about my IVF meds...

My last two cycles Clexane gave me a dermatitis like rash (itchy and dry skin)

Im off all my supplements for now. Including low dose asprin. Which is a vasodiolator (sp?) Which wont be helping.

overlytired

My sibling had a horrific allergic reaction to anti anxiety meds (unsure which one - well over 10 yrs ago); ended up in emergency and stayed there for a few days).

At least you'll have control of your environment when you're back at your place. Don't discount the stress of having to tiptoe around your parents' feelings about their possessions (eg must use "this" blanket so as not to offend").

StillFreddiesMum

Ozgirl - it seems that your parents do bring an extra layer of stress to your life. Just a heads up - if you find it difficult to say "no' to them now "why don't you use our 50 year old blanket?" it will be a million times harder if you have a baby and they insist you put baby to sleep in an old family cot that has been stored in the garage for 50 years !

Go home, see your regular GP, ask to get tested for different allergies and maybe put a bit of distance between you and your parents.

Oh gosh yes StillFreddie.

I would never have a baby and share a house with them!

I could never be so far from medical care either.

At the moment I am not allowed to drive. So I am kinda stuck.

They actually ended up responding to getting the blankets clean. Mum is picking them up on her way home tomorrow.

I did get a small lecture from the town GP (who knows my mum well) 'be care you dont set each other off' which is the first time any one has ever suggested my mum neurosities (sp?) To me.

ETA - the baby thing was part of the upthread mention of moving here being complex...

In other family news. My sister has lift her embargo on speaking to me.

She is worried about me. And gave me the 'look after yourself' lecture she is known for.

Oh and I also had a telehealth appt with my regular GP in Sydney, who is happy with current treatment plan.

So I went to the allergy clinic yesterday.

They dont think its an allegic reaction, so dont think scratch testing needs to be done.

All I took away from it is that its a waiting game to see if my issue is acute or chronic (ie it comes back when the ween me off antihistamines).

8 vials of blood later and an appointment in 5 weeks.

Im pretty confused.

StillFreddiesMum

Please feel free to disregard my opinion but could it be stress? Your body is just reacting to a stressful situation? I hope everything gets better for you OP.

Please feel free to disregard my opinion but could it be stress? Your body is just reacting to a stressful situation? I hope everything gets better for you OP.

Yes, thats what everyone is saying.

Advertisement