IGNORED

Ozgirl's immune issues (changed from hives) - Update

Ozgirl

So I broke out in a crazy bad case of Hives yesterday..

I have not eaten anything unusual or used different washing powder etc.

Im now (bare with me) wondering if it is something like bed bugs or dust mites?

I am a hypo allergic person. But can never figure out triggers.

Sometime its just like a build up in my system.

Ie I can have an instant topical reaction to a face cream I have used for months.

I am washing all the bed linen and im going to go have the doona cleaned professionally.

But a question - is wool good or bad for this stuff.

Im wondering if my parents 50yo woollen blankets that are rarely used and have been locked in a cupboard may have contributed in some way?

I suggested getting those professionally cleaned but dad is worried they will fall apart so said no. So the only thing I can think of is hanging them on the line on our next sunny day?

DaLittleEd

If you have a good drycleaner I would take the doona and the old blankets and see what they think. They might be able to clean the blankets no probs.

That said. It could be anything. Pollen, something you ate, dust in the rest of the room....

Seayork2002

I use canestan or pineocleen laundry sanitizer for bedding and towels but maybe it is the soap you are using for washing the clothes and yourself?

so maybe try one designed for babies or another natural one rather than using another chemical to treat it (part of this is my own rambling thoughts mixed in with your OP)

SleepyBear

Dust mites and bed bugs live where people are as they feed on skin etc but they also shed themselves so old fabrics including wool that have not been washed will contain feces and dead bugs that will cause your allergies to flare. They may also be holding dust or other allergens in the fibre so so personally would want to wash before using.

If your parents don't want them washed can you just pack them away in a seperate part of the house to yourself and only use fresh bedding?

Seayork2002

would buying a new doonah be best then you can start from scratch with it?

and also is there something in the mattress itself (again just me rambling)

If your parents don't want them washed can you just pack them away in a seperate part of the house to yourself and only use fresh bedding?

i'll speak to mum when she gets home. But not using their stuff cause huge issues... "is my stuff not good enough for you" is a long time argument.

Their doona's arent warm enough so thats why I used the blanket.

Im trying to find solutions without offending them.

would buying a new doonah be best then you can start from scratch with it?

and also is there something in the mattress itself (again just me rambling)

Yeah maybe, but there is a liner and electric blanket between the sheet and bed.

But see above re buying a new doona.

Freezing can kill dustmites for items that you can’t wash. It doesn’t remove the droppings or dead mites but can help.

We have dustmite allergies and I wash our wool doonas in the washing machine with wool wash.

I also use the dustmite covers and doona cover over the top. The doona cover gets washed on hot weekly. The dust mite cover gets washed on hot monthly. The doona itself only gets washed six monthly (usually at change of season when I swap the weights).

Was it your son who had hives last week or was that someone else?

Could you take a cup of tea to bed and spill it on the blankets and go oh shit mum I'm so sorry; I'll take them to get cleaned?

So after stripping the bedding this happened...

Back to the Dr.... FML (but thankfully didnt have to drive to hospital today)

IMG-20210503-1356382.jpg

Kiwi Bicycle

Safety pin the wool washed or sun aired blanket to your doona inner, buy a dust mite doona cover and put the inner and blanket in it, and then put your usual doona cover over it all. That way you are getting the warmth of the blanket but it's inside the barrier. Hotels actually often use blankets inside doona covers so they don't have to continually wash the blankets. Then hooefully no offended parents. Plus vacum your mattress.

Don't dry clean the blanket as the chemicals they use to do that will most likely cause you further allergy issues.

overlytired

Consider vacuuming the blankets before washing them, in order to remove any allergens sitting in the fabrics and resulting in a more effective wash. Also vacuum the mattress before putting on an allergen-barrier mattress cover.

My sibling is much like you; an allergen won't cause a flare-up right away so figuring out what triggers new ones can be challenging. Have you had an allergy test recently?

I have never had allergy testing.

Discussed it with Doctor today and he was all ‘well it’s kind hard for them to know where to start when you can’t narrow it down’.

That’s pretty much been the barrier all my life.

overlytired

There's a standard allergy testing panel (not sure that's the correct term) of about 20 or so of the most common allergens (mostly food, also dust mites, pollens, etc.), usually done via skin scrape or skinprick (small scratch, add allergen, wait for response) or blood test. Both DH and one of the DCs had it done in an allergist's clinic, not a GP.

If changing the bedding made your face blow up like that, that shouldn't be dismissed. Ask your GP for a referral to an allergist.

(Disclaimer; I'm in Canada so your procedures may be different, but the tests have been around for decades, are standard, and should be available there as well).

SleepyBear

Agree with PP. I have had allergy testing done and the "where to start" will be the allergists decision but with a reaction like that you need to be seen.

I have alot of allergies and to have enough space the allergist did the grids all over my back instead of just my arms so there are options.

Silverstreak

Hi Ozgirl, sorry you're dealing with this. I would just go back to your GP and say you get skin irritations and you want a referral for an allergy testing panel. If they refuse, go to another GP.

I've had it done and so has DS. It's fascinating what you find out, I always assumed I had an allergy to pet dander, but it wasn't the case, for me it's grass and pollen and for DS it's rye grass.

Bornagirl

My daughter had allergy testing as a child (moderate, chronic asthma, which was clearly being aggravated by some allergies) and used her back, given there were so many. We went in with out knowing any specific triggers.

I'm surprised your GP would say that. I've also had the testing (asthma) and lots of minor mild ones (like a lot of people I should imagine) but my major one was dust mite dander, which I kinda already knew, given being around dusty things and spaces, my eyes are itching and I'm sneezing in no time. No hives or anything that lasts more than an hour or so, so no biggie for me, but went in without any clear knowledge of what the specific ones were.

Off to hospital

So painful today. Went to the Dr who tried to call a tertiary hospital for advice but the didn’t answer

She gave me stronger cream which burns.

The Dr said it not likely and allergic reaction more a immune response.

LemonMyrtle

Off to hospital

So painful today. Went to the Dr who tried to call a tertiary hospital for advice but the didn’t answer

She gave me stronger cream which burns.

The Dr said it not likely and allergic reaction more a immune response.

Isn’t that the same thing?? Your Dr seems odd. I’ve never heard of a cream being prescribed for hives (well, not for those sorts of hives) Did you take an antihistamine? (Sorry if that’s a silly question)

Hope you get a better answer from the hospital.

Its not quite the same - ie it could have been anaphylactic.

Basically they are saying its stress hives (body stress) vs dust mites or something.

The cream was steriods cream.

So I did take 50mg Sunday, yesterday and this morning.

But the Registr (sp?) At the tertiary hospital (small country town where I am) when they called for a consult said it was old school and to stop it.

They gave me a different drug Nizat idine - seems to have done the trick . Some of the spots have gone completely.

So im now on zyr tec 4 times daily, Phen ergan at night. And Niza tidine 2 times a day.

Advertisement