IGNORED

Fast 800/ 5:2

Etcetera

Who else is doing the fast 800 or 5:2?

DH and I did it about 18 months ago with good results. I lost around 10kgs.

Now I need to do it again and have a few false starts so thought I'd post here and see if anyone else is also doing it so we can support each other.

I'm hoping to lose 4kgs to get well into the healthy weight range, then move on to the 5:2.

Hi Etcetera - I have been doing 5:2 for a couple of years now - 20kg of about 30kg gone, but the last few are staying stuck to me. As I keep saying, I do need to exercise more and perhaps need to contemplate the 800 for a few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi [mention]Sancti-claws[/mention] and [mention]CCABW[/mention]

Good to see there's others here that do the program.

Thanks [mention]Jolly_F[/mention] I post regularly in there but wanted a targeted thread as that one goes quite quickly.

Starting again slowly this week, just getting my head around it all again.

I'll post back with some meals [mention]Greatmum[/mention]

The first few days it's a bit of an adjustment, I was headachy, lightheaded and felt so dopey - couldn't remember anything.

But after that I've felt great. Once off the sugar, you don't feel hungry as long as you keep up the protein, and you don't get cravings either.

It's not designed with exercise in mind though, just a gently walk etc, as it's obviously not enough calories for that.

I bought his new exercise book too that I've just started reading.

[mention]Etcetera[/mention] I do but I'm still getting used to it. People are commenting on how attractive I am now and it makes me very uncomfortable. Today I wanted to get on a piece of equipment so I asked about weight limit. I'm 40kgs under the maximum weight limit but I still couldn't bring myself to get on it. I've been heavy for so long, its ingrained that I can't sit, climb or ride normal things.

Exercising is sooooooo much easier at this weight. I've still got some more to go but I am nowhere near as exhausted as I was when bigger. I can also move a lot easier. The only downside I've noticed is my quality of sleep has plummeted. I don't know if that is a weight thing or an age thing (mid 40s).

[mention]Scootaloo[/mention] by the time you get to 5:2, fasting is already habit so it isn't hard. Fasting is built up over time. You start at 10 or 12hrs and then gradually increase to 16 or 18, whatever your preference is. I exercise (cardio) for 30 mins most days. I also walk a lot in my job. I found when I did more exercise, I was tired and I didn't lose weight. As soon as I dropped back to 30 mins, the weight started coming off again. If I have a particularly busy day (I've exercised and walked a lot at work), I eat to 1000 calories and that seems to keep my body happy.

@Scootaloo by the time you get to 5:2, fasting is already habit so it isn't hard. Fasting is built up over time. You start at 10 or 12hrs and then gradually increase to 16 or 18, whatever your preference is. I exercise (cardio) for 30 mins most days. I also walk a lot in my job. I found when I did more exercise, I was tired and I didn't lose weight. As soon as I dropped back to 30 mins, the weight started coming off again. If I have a particularly busy day (I've exercised and walked a lot at work), I eat to 1000 calories and that seems to keep my body happy.

Thank you, that helps a lot. I didn’t realise you worked your way I to the fasting. My job is quite active and I would need to work my way up to fasting for sure as I am usually starving by lunchtime,

Thank you, that helps a lot. I didn’t realise you worked your way I to the fasting. My job is quite active and I would need to work my way up to fasting for sure as I am usually starving by lunchtime,

Its taken me 6 months to get to being able to go till 1pm without eating and work. To start with, I'd fast from 5:30pm to 5:30am on work days. On home days, I'd try hold out to about 11am. Now I can go to 12-1pm but I still try to eat around 11am if I can as I find that if I wait till 1pm, then eat dinner at 5pm, its a lot of food in a short space of time and I feel yuck even though its healthy food. I used to think I had to have something in my stomach before work because I'd be using energy and probably wouldn't get a break until after 11.

Herbals teas, black coffee or tea is "allowed" during fasting as its water with lemon if you like it. Some people do "clean fasts" or "dirty fasts". Clean fast is water or water and lemon only. A dirty fast might be a coffee/tea with a splash of milk so it isn't completely black. Apparently chewing gum breaks a fast but I chew it if I'm working because I hate having bad breath. I find just brushing my teeth isn't enough in the mornings to keep my breath fresh.

If you can borrow the fast800 book from your library, it will explain the science behind it and how to get started. I found it an easy read. Alternatively, its available from amazon.com.au in kindle form ($16ish I think) or in the shops for around $22.

Can I ask, on your fasting days are you not hungry? How do you do a days work, exercise etc without many calories?

I used to do 500cals on a Monday, and my body just got used to it - knowing a light day after an indulgent weekend.

I used to have 2 hard boiled eggs and a coffee for breakfast every day. On a 5:2 day I just had one egg.

I had 300cal for dinner that way.

I would buy frozen dinners for ease

• 3 months later...

I'm just popping back in to re- join here for some motivation! Anyone still around?  I started back on 5:2 today after my weight has crept right back up again. Day 1 of fasting today and it's been fine. I'm at that stage of the diet where I can't wait to get started and get thin 😂 I got up this morning and stood on the scales and decided enough was enough and started straight away. 

I'm also cutting back on drinking and have had an alcohol free day, first time in ages. 

• Like 1

I’m in week 3 of the fast800 for the first time and really enjoying it. It’s really changed how I feel about eating and food, it’s so nice to have more willpower and control now that my addiction to sugar and carbs has been broken. My husband has been doing it too as a support and has gotten down to 14% body fat which is insane (I haven’t had that kind of success).

I am getting to the stage where I am feeling a bit sick of the all the lettuce I’ve been eating though :(

Sancti-claws

I am still here - back onto 5:2 but really need to tighten up my 5's a bit!  74 remains the new layer to breakthrough...

IamtheMumma

I'm getting back on the horse. I've put on 1.5kgs since I stopped. Struggling with carbs. Money is tight at the moment and there's lots of carbs in the pantry that are getting used. Once life is easier, I'll be able to really get back into fast800. My beau is wanting to lose weight too so I'll have his company and support. He's a bit overwhelmed with it at the moment. 

I find it is so much easier to stick to the diet if I don't have yummy things in the house. DS can get a treat but I need to buy 1 of not an 8pk of (looking at you delicious mini muffins). 

I have done 12 weeks of Fast800 which I finished about 3 weeks ago.  

It has done amazing things for me and I am actually quite proud of myself and the change in some of my eating habits.  

I was going to have a short break and then start again or do a version of it as in 4 days Fast 800 and 3 days normal but I am sick with a head cold and I am struggling a bit.  

The carbs have crept back in and some red wine but I still fasting and happy to say I haven't put on any weight in those three weeks.  We are going away in a couple of weeks so will reassess when I come back as I still have around 9kgs to lose.

• Like 1

IamtheMumma

@Chicken Pie if you're wanting to do fast800, it is best to read the book to understand the rationale. Then buy the recipe books or join up online where the menu is provided for you (with your personal preferences). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chicken Pie said:

i'm going to join in too no idea where to start

recipes?

If you're doing 5:2 you don't need recipes, or I don't bother cooking anyway. On my fast days I eat either two very small meals or one normal sized one, and try to mostly have protein so as not to spike my blood sugar. I eat things like yoghurt, eggs, cheese, fish, or sometimes just fruit and veg. Unlike some PP's I don't have less energy on fast days, and in fact I usually have more, because there's no sleepy full feeling that you get after eating. I always exercise better on a fast day (and sleep worse). 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chicken Pie said:

i'm going to join in too no idea where to start

recipes?

If you want to do the 800 definitely check out the books but essentially you should be aiming for under 60g of carbs a day. Use an app to track it. And eat under 800 calories everyday for a minimum of two weeks. During this time you will find your appetite and craving for carbs goes away. I thought this was not going to apply to me but finally on day 11 everything clicked and my cravings vanished.

So with that in mind, you want to steer clear of bread, pasta, potatoes, rice and crackers. There’s really no way to make it work than to cut it out. It sounds hard but I was surprised how I was able to do it. Maybe start out with some protein shakes that are low carb (you could do optifast, but I’ve discovered tonik pro protein smoothies in my local IGA and they are YUUUM) and soups. 

I just made bunless burgers for dinner tonight using lettuce as wraps and they were great. I also make a stroganoff type soup, eggplant parmigiana, lots of bacon and eggs, and protein like steak or chicken with a side of veg (no potatoes or corn). 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

I really like the simplicity of 5:2. I couidnt be bothered counting calories and everything with the 800 every day thing...?

I'm surprised at how much you can actually each with 500 calories. There's a really good soup I buy that's satisfying and filling but low calorie. Some decent lean cuisine type meals too, I like them because I feel like I'm eating real food. I also bulk them out with loads of salad and vegies. Some shaved low fat ham, pickles, cherry tomatoes., cucumber...I never eat so healthily as when I'm doing a 500 calorie day and have to snack on cucumber and eat like a whole lettuce to fill myself up 😂

Plus I love the psychology of knowing that tomorrow I can eat what I want. I'm fine with missing pasta and cheese today because I'll have it tomorrow. I'm excited to keep this up and get on the scales tomorrow.

• Like 3

I guess it’s the same as counting 500 calories but it’s 800 instead. Once you have a feel for what 800 is it’s easy and you can stop counting. It’s getting used to low carb that is much trickier.

Other than having a bigger calorie allowance than the traditional 5:2 the difference with the 800 is that when you transition from the fast800 to 5:2 you must stay low carb but can eat unlimited calories. I’m not sure how sustainable it is but I have to say that everyday that goes by I feel more and more confident that I can do it (with the occasional pasta as a treat). 

Advertisement