IGNORED

Duke of Ed Hike - Water?

qak

If anyone has experience with Duke of Ed bushwalks, what are the recommendations for carrying water?

DS has a practice hike, overnight. Suggested he should take at least 3-4L of water.

Is it OK to carry pre-bottled water like Mt Franklin etc? Or do I need to buy bottles to fill (like for school?)

(edit: yes they carry out their own rubbish)

Edited by qak

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• qak

• Islander

• Basil

Top Posters In This Topic

My kids haven’t done a specific Duke of Ed hike but have participated in hikes that qualify for Duke of Ed...

We have water bladders with the long tube (like a Camelbak) as well as collapsible water bottles. We are a camping/hiking family so it’s stuff we already have.

The long straw type means that it’s easy to take sips while walking without fussing to get the bottle out and it keeps the hands free. We also like the collapsible type because it takes up less room once the water is consumed. I also usually insist they take at least one Lifestraw type so if they get stuck, they can purify water from a creek or puddle. I like the soft sided collapsible one because you can squeeze it to push the water through rather than having to suck really hard.

Each hike is different. Will they be able to access any fresh water along the way? I would have a look at all the route information- how much drinking water they’ll need, how much for cooking, where/how they’ll access fresh. A wide mouth bottle/bladder is definitely best here in Tas where you can re-fill at streams or tarns along the way. It will all be quite specific for the hike/region/weather/time of year.

It's in the Royal NP - checking their campground & it says no drinking water there. As far as I know it's not recommended to drink from any creek in the Royal, so I guess that means it would need to be treated.

The packing list just says bring min 3-4L water - I've got him 4x1L bottles. They are having a meeting on Tuesday so if there's any other directions I'll have to run around on Wednesday LOL.

Advertisement