IGNORED

Weight loss advice please

Bono67

I lost a lot of weight a few years ago and I found this quiz was a good starting point at assessing my diet.

Prior to taking the quiz, I thought I had a healthy diet because I've always eaten a lot of fruit and veg. However it was eyeopening to see how my diet wasn't anywhere near as good as I thought it was. I made changes based on their recommendations and it really did help.

https://www.totalwellbeingdiet.com/au/health-tools/quizzes/healthy-diet-score/

Unfortunately I've put a lot of weight back on because junk food has crept back into my diet, and my exercise dropped off - thanks COVID.

In terms of cycling for weight loss. I go on 30 km bike rides (at a leisurely pace) but depending on the route there can be a decent amount of hills / inclines. I definitely think it does assist in weight loss and muscle gain. To get the same effect on an exercise bike, you would need to increase the resistance.

I've got one of those contraptions that turns your own bike into an exercise bike. It's a good quality one and works well. But dear god, do I get bored, I'm lucky to last five minutes. Out on the bike path I can go forever.

I did do one spin class at the gym, and didn't mind that too much because someone else was in charge of the decision making, but left to my own devices on it at home, I'm terrible.

I do do a five minute spin on a bike before I do the gym equipment circuit, and sprint the last 30 seconds, but that's just to warm up and get my heart rate up, and I wouldn't last any longer.

I do with I had the perseverance of the OP, would have done wonders for me during Melbourne's lockdown.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bono67

• Bornagirl

• Lurker

• STBG 2

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m the same with the treadmill. I find it incredibly boring and really struggle to keep going. I listen to music and the little 400m track thing on the machine is strangely hypnotic but it does feel silly sometimes. Much rather run outdoors but it’s not always possible.

Likewise, although not as bad as the bike for some reason. I stopped running at 60, and prior to that did a couple of 15k fun runs and many more shorter ones, and for me that involved a significant amount of careful training, given my joints. I could 'get into the zone' though, out in the air, in a way I never could on the treadmill.

I’m the same with the treadmill. I find it incredibly boring and really struggle to keep going. I listen to music and the little 400m track thing on the machine is strangely hypnotic but it does feel silly sometimes. Much rather run outdoors but it’s not always possible.

Haha, I was like that with my cross trainer. I bought it years ago and it's been sitting outside because we just don't have the room for it now. The fly wheel is rusty and noisy and screams like anything when it's wet. But man, I lost a stack of weight when I used to be able to do it every day, per kids. I used to watch black books while I was on it. I was surprised the day I ran up four flights of stairs! But with it being outside, there's just nothing to look at and had to keep stopping to break up fights. At least the bike it really quite and I can watch a movie with the kids.

Purpleblaze

It's shit but it's true.

Love this quote, applies to so many things!

Also op I would look at other ways to measuring success - not just the scales. Fit of clothes, exercise goals, strength goals, how you are feeling, bowel movements, skin clarity, sleep quality etc. For me, the way clothes fit is the truest measure.

IamtheMumma

I have an exercise bike that I do 30 mins on most days. It reckons I burn 6-700 cals in that time at the second highest resistance. I go with 300 calories and I never eat them. I'm doing fast800 with flexibility early on to go to 1000 calories every so often. I'm 38kgs down in just over 6 months. The last 10 or so kilos have taken the longest time. I've still got another 8 to go. I have definitely developed muscle from the bike. Buns of steel!

I do get bored on the bike. The 30 mins probably takes me 45 mins all up. I use spotify and trawl through top 100 charts world wide looking for doof doof music to help with exercise. I try to day dream away my time so I don't notice I'm dripping in sweat.

Eat your biggest meal for the first meal and put most of your carbs in that meal. Try to make the last meal of the day smaller and lower or carb free.

Edit - keep an eye on takeaway coffees etc. Drinks get missed. Some frappe things have 1000 calories in them but it doesn't compute in our brains.

Thanks everyone. I upped the resistance and go for 40 minutes and it's made a noticeable difference, which is good to see. I've been having cruskits for lunch and keeping an eye on nutrition panels alot more. It's hard, but nice to see a gradual ticking down on the scales 😉.

My only drinks during the day are tea, and I'm slowly reducing the amount of sugar I put in.

Spidey_Senses

Exercise bikes are good for fitness but dont help that much with weight loss IME. Treadmill, rower, stepper or swimming are better. Also, dont go just on weight alone. Can you measure your body fat? Replacing fat with muscle is a good thing.

• 1 month later...

Hello peoples, hope you're all having a nice weekend!

I have a question about weight loss using an exercise bike. I bought an exercise bike a couple of weeks ago (a fold up one, really cool how small it is!). I've been riding it pretty much every night for about an hour. According to the computer thingy (who knows how accurate it is), I've been burning 500 calories, and going about 33km. But I haven't lost any weight. At all. Zip, zilch, nada.

I usually go on it either while the kids are finishing dinner, so right after I finished eating, cleaning up etc, or after the kids have gone to bed, so a couple of hours after dinner. Could that be why nothings happening? I mean, I didn't expect to lose a heap but after two weeks I expected to see something.

I'm not eating heaps of junk food. Biggest meal would probably be dinner, and I tend to skip breakfast and have a crusket later on in the morning. I've made an effort to stop snacking so much when I'm at home.

Help please!!

How long do you ride for and do you have a heart rate monitor? If not what is your level of exertion? i.e can you talk comfortably?

Exercise bikes are good for fitness but dont help that much with weight loss IME. Treadmill, rower, stepper or swimming are better. Also, dont go just on weight alone. Can you measure your body fat? Replacing fat with muscle is a good thing.

This was what I came in to say - take mesurements around your waist hips, bust etc as well. When I started losing weight, I didn’t actually lose any weight as i was straight out replacing fat with muscle. When I found the difference was that my measurements went down steadily, even if the weight didn’t initially.

Advertisement