• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prancer

• Bethlehem

• Crombek

• Kshy

Top Posters In This Topic

I mostly liked it. Even when I came last.

Unfortunately the timing clashes with my kids sport. Cricket starts at 9 in a different part of town!

Yes, I love it! I learnt to run about 2 years ago. I am not particularly fast, but proud I can run 5km. Doing parkrun feels like a race, so I put a bit more effort in than when I do it alone. I love I am role modeling exercise to my kids, and most of them like going. They enjoy volunteering too. We have met really nice people. It has a nice community feel. I am more likely to go for a run on the weekend when doing park run rather than trying to fit it in somewhere.

Downsides? Sometimes the course photos are not flattering. I don’t like mornings. Everyone can see your times.

But at the same time, it has also taught me not to worry about what people think, what times I am doing, what I look like. I am out there having a go and that is a good look.

Funny park run story. My DH introduced me to a person in their mid 20s or a bit older at park run. I thought they were a work mate. My teen took a shine to the person, became like a role model. They decided to do 10km together at a fun run, probably my kid just wanting to copy as they idolised them. So they do the run, bond and I mention something to DH about where does that person work at his work. Turns out he met the person at park run and barely knew anything about them! We sent our kid off with someone we barely knew lol!

So no one walks at park runs??

I’ve always wanted to join (can’t now as kids have 2 sports at that time) and thought it was more about completing 5 km ( run, walk, crawl) rather than running as fast as you can.

I’ve always wanted to join (can’t now as kids have 2 sports at that time) and thought it was more about completing 5 km ( run, walk, crawl) rather than running as fast as you can.

Lots walk at our Parkrun - we have met some really great people at ours. We started over 5 years ago and my husband and daughter are now running fanatics - me I come and go depending what I’m doing - very supportive bunch

People do walk. Some walk the entire course, and we have plenty of older people at a slower pace. I have walked before. I like to run because I know I can. You get a place number and time, so I find that motivating. It is also motivating to me to try and catch the person in front of me. Parkrun has a tailwalker - someone that walks at the back which means you never come last. No one will care what speed you are doing.

Rainbowbear

We walk the first time we felt bad as we thought we were holding people up but it turns out that they have a couple of volunteers follow the last people so they know everyone fished safe

Is it possible to opt out of having your photo taken? I look at our local one on FB and it often puts lots of photos up from the weekend. I keep a low profile online, and don’t want photos of me running on a random FB page.... I’d love to take the kids though, but I don’t put photos of them on FB either!

I go with my kids and husband. 9 year old and I jog, and 6 year old walks with husband. They have never been last and they take photos and chase birds and have a lovely time together. Volunteers and other park runners are all so encouraging of the kids and also of any walker/ runner. I think it’s lovely. I am a fair way of my personal best from 5 years ago due to broken bones and putting on weight but it is still so fun I very much encourage you to try it

Is it possible to opt out of having your photo taken? I look at our local one on FB and it often puts lots of photos up from the weekend. I keep a low profile online, and don’t want photos of me running on a random FB page.... I’d love to take the kids though, but I don’t put photos of them on FB either!

Absolutely, just cross your arms in an x in front of you as you get close to the volunteers with the cameras.

Spidey_Senses

Lots walk at our Parkrun - we have met some really great people at ours. We started over 5 years ago and my husband and daughter are now running fanatics - me I come and go depending what I’m doing - very supportive bunch

Could you do it with a jogging pram?

Could you do it with a jogging pram?

We have lots of jogging prams at ours but would depend on the course - ours is pretty flat out and back course all concrete. The webpage for each course will have a description of the course

I was thinking of doing parkrun but I'm turned off by some of the behaviours of the runners. I'm am often walking my dog and I've had someone swear at me because I was on the path - my dog was on the grass. It's so intimidating having people rush past and they come in groups so I often get forced on the grass and there is one thing I hate when walking is getting wet feet (sure I could go buy leather joggers but should I have to??).

I'm semi rural and the only parkland to walk is where they run, sure it's only one day a week at that particular time but that time suits me as well.

I know some of the organisers (volunteers) so when I got sworn at I let them know, they weren't happy and I know it's not their fault. They said they would mention it to the members.

A lot of the participants have prams, kids on bikes and dogs. I like that aspect, it's very social!

I was thinking of doing parkrun but I'm turned off by some of the behaviours of the runners. I'm am often walking my dog and I've had someone swear at me because I was on the path - my dog was on the grass. It's so intimidating having people rush past and they come in groups so I often get forced on the grass and there is one thing I hate when walking is getting wet feet (sure I could go buy leather joggers but should I have to??).

I'm semi rural and the only parkland to walk is where they run, sure it's only one day a week at that particular time but that time suits me as well.

I know some of the organisers (volunteers) so when I got sworn at I let them know, they weren't happy and I know it's not their fault. They said they would mention it to the members.

A lot of the participants have prams, kids on bikes and dogs. I like that aspect, it's very social!

That is unfortunate :(. Our parkrun makes it very clear that we are in a public space and the public have right of way at all times. I would say there were just one or two dicks on the course. As a runner, plenty of times I have had to go off course (not at park run) due to people standing in the middle of the bike track talking, dogs on long leashes taking up the whole path or people walking next to each other who don’t move. Really annoying. I figure in a group of 100-200 there is a,ways going to be a small minority not doing the right thing.

I don't DO park run, but I often happen to be running in a park where they do it.

Everyone has always been lovely to me as I run in the opposite direction, and I've even had some people join me at my bench work (I do 10 pushup and 10 triceps dips at each bench). They generally seem very lovely and community minded.

Questionable

I used to enjoy going! We mostly walked and it was a whole family affair (baby in pram, kids whinging etc!).

Only stopped going as it clashes with other Saturday morning activities.

Advertisement