IGNORED

Difference between calisthenics and physie?

Lallalla

Can anyone enlighten me?

I grew up doing ballet, it’s not what I want for my girls, I was hoping to find them something more team oriented. But they do love to dance and perform. So I’m looking at alternatives for next year.

• Like 1

I don’t know about physie but calisthenics is a team performance sport including dance, March, gymnastics etc

We go to a championship club and absolutely love it but there’s many clubs in vic not so full on!

The Calisthenics Victoria website can tell you the clubs in your area and you could contact them directly!

Obviously none of the clubs have managed any classes or comps since March 😔

Captain Tightpants

I have 2 daughters that do All Star Cheer. There are dance, tumbling and stunting elements to a routine.

Not the answer to your question, but another option to look at!

• Like 1

I have done physie most of my life, and my daughter has done calisthenics.

Physie has one syllabus for each age group (there’s a new syllabus each year). You learn the syllabus in the first couple of terms of the year, then they have individual and team competitions in the later parts of the year. The syllabus includes marching and a few different types of dance routines. The girls compete in leotards.

Calisthenics there are set types of routines (rods, clubs, aesthetic, free) but each club choreographs their own routines. There are solo, duo and teams competitions, and you wear costumes to match the theme/style of the dance.

If you search for local clubs and have a look at their FB pages they will likely have videos posted of performances. Calisthenics has more of a ‘performance’ element to it if they enjoy that kind of thing (from memory, at my daughter’s club concert there was even some singing involved?!). In both sports you will get some clubs that are more competitive than others, but in general I think they are both sports with a great sense of community.

Thanks! I thought someone here would have some insight into the difference.

We have 2 very close calisthenics clubs and 1 relatively close physie club. I have no idea how to work out which one is better but it might come down to the times they train/do classes anyway.

• 1 year later...

Reviving this in case anyone has any more insights.

Someone I know vaguely had a bad experience with her girls and calisthenics. I think the main issue was excluding/sidelining her youngest in competitions because she wasn’t as strong as the others in her age group.

Physie club near me is part of the “modern” association but it seems a bit old fashioned to me with all the marching and the bright makeup and hairspray. I am drawn to the fitness and lower cost side of things but would prefer something with active wear and less makeup but don’t really care if it just for a competition.

DD is 7 and hasn’t done anything similar except a bit of gymnastics. We are not a “Dance Moms” kind of family at all. Only one of her friends dances and that is a full on ballet kind of thing that she has already been doing for years.

Edith parsons physie is no makeup, tanning or tights until teen years and many don’t go overboard even in those ages and ladies comps. 
Different leotard styles too. 
might be more your style. 

• Like 1

Hip hop? DD did it for a while and had a very positive experience, she only quit because she wanted to do ninja warrior and the class times clashed and she wanted to do ninja more than dance. No where near as "done up" as ballet, calesthentics and so on, but still that team dance kind of thing. 

I also noticed her hip hop class had a variety of ages, body shapes, mix of girls and boys, big range in abilities, which definitely wasn't the case when she did ballet.

Edited by Kimasa

Thanks @Bethlehembut no Edith Parsons clubs anywhere near us at all. I did laugh on their website - they call the teachers - Instructress.

@Kimasa - I did consider Hip Hop but I am not sure it is close enough to what DD wants to do, as old fashioned as it seems I think she will like the all girl atmosphere.

@TinCatthanks, just googled and there is a skipping club kind of near us. Sounds kind of intense - invitation only teams if you impress in the classes but I will show it to DD.

Have just booked in a trial of physie, we get to do 2 weeks so I will be interested to see if she likes it. With no shoes or uniforms to buy initially, a term is doable if she is enthusiastic enough.

• Like 1

If she has done gymnastics before, I assume that was artistic gymnastics.  Do you think she might like rhythmic gymnastics, which is an all girls sport still in Australia.

I'm not sure which state you're based in but at her age all that is needed would be a solid colour tank top and bike shorts for weekly training and a club leotard for any upgrade / local competition should she be interested.  Make up is optional or very light otherwise.  Even when competing at an elite level, including overseas, dd's make up was very natural.

• Like 1

Grumbles is it an APDA or BJP club? BJP have introduced active wear for all ages this year. The juniors also aren't allowed fake tan, and have minimal make up and simple hair for competitions. It's certainly changed a lot from the 90's when I slept with rollers in my hair and my mum put fake tan on me using a paint roller!!

• Like 1

APDA - apparently they will be allowing tights as an option for competition for the first time this year. Website photos are all sleeveless leotards.

No tank tops for training, crop top and shorts if you don’t have a leotard. They all seem to be very prescriptive about what is worn for training, recreational gymnastics was fine with any length pants, shorts, t-shirts and they didn’t have to be fitted/cropped.

I don’t mind a bit of lipstick but the fake tan and lashes is so unnecessary. Not even sure I want that for 12 year olds. 

• Like 2

Advertisement