IGNORED

Cooperative board games...

riotproof

We also like Forbidden Island. My 10yo asked for a related game, Forbidden Desert, for Christmas and it’s also good - a bit harder than Forbidden Island though!

Forbidden Island and Pandemic are both great.

Some other options are:

Castle Panic

Flash Point Fire Rescue

Elder Sign

Trogdor!

I love playing all of these games

Phillipa Crawford

Another vote for Pandemic.

I was given Wingspan for Christmas. Not as cooperative as Pandemic (and we used a youtube tutorial to understand it) but you don't work against others at all and a lot if your actions assist them.

Fruitmincepies

Another vote for Pandemic.

I was given Wingspan for Christmas. Not as cooperative as Pandemic (and we used a youtube tutorial to understand it) but you don't work against others at all and a lot if your actions assist them.

My brother and all his friends are passionate about playing wingspan. He’s been trying to convince me I need to get it, I’d love to but I just do not have the opportunity to play games. It sounds brilliant.

Thanks for the ideas. I like the sound of so many of them.

Are any simpler for younger kids? Dd is 6 and the one most likely to run off crying if she doesn’t get it.

Are any simpler for younger kids? Dd is 6 and the one most likely to run off crying if she doesn’t get it.

Castle Panic was probably the easiest for my young ones, followed by forbidden Island.

We play forbidden island with our 5 and 6 year olds. The 5 YO doesn’t quite get all the rules and concept, but because it’s cooperative, it’s really easy to tell him what to do, almost take his turn for him. And instead I give him control of dishing out cards, or flipping cards over, or moving the flood gauge. As long as he has his own special task to do he is happy.

We play forbidden island with our 5 and 6 year olds. The 5 YO doesn’t quite get all the rules and concept, but because it’s cooperative, it’s really easy to tell him what to do, almost take his turn for him. And instead I give him control of dishing out cards, or flipping cards over, or moving the flood gauge. As long as he has his own special task to do he is happy.

Good solution. This works for us too. Forbidden Island would be better if you have a player from that age group.

Our 6yo does join in with Pandemic sometimes (with special responsibilities like [mention]LemonMyrtle[/mention] suggested above), but she is a very chill 6yo and plays with at least 1x adult and 1x 12yo. I don't think it would work so well if you were just playing with a 6yo. You need at least 2 players who are properly engaging with the game for Pandemic to work.

I think the eldest (now 12yo) started playing Pandemic at about 9yo. We got Forbidden Island for her from around 8ish I think?

• 2 months later...

Outfoxed is amazing. Such an excellent game. I'm still in trouble for selling it on even though we outgrew it a few years ago!

[mention]Bono67[/mention] do you mean Hogwarts Battle? If so, it's worth it, keep going!

Loving this thread, thanks for posting. I've been planning to get pandemic for a couple years but was with on kids getting older lol. Good to hear can play it just with DH.

And Forbidden Island sounds good for 8-12 yr olds, is that right?

Seayork2002

Seeing this thread pop up again made me think of boardgames and I saw this (UK shop but will look for an Aussie stockists)

Only just seen so not sure what age group suitable or is considered a co-operative game yet

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/professor-puzzle-escape-from-the-grand-hotel-escape-room-game/5056297201021.html

ADDED - Sorry I thought it was a straight board game it is one of those dress up escape room ones

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Outfoxed today. The guy in the shop said he loves playing it, so fingers crossed we all do. And I got Ds a 500piece adult puzzle since he’s been doing those lately. See how we go.

• 2 months later...
Advertisement