IGNORED

Robloxs for a younger child

Fruitmincepies

Fruitmincepies

What age for Robloxs? 6yo DD (year 2) wants it. I understand I can turn certain features like chat off to make it safer, and like all access to technology, she needs to be supervised (although it’s not always direct supervision, she’s only allowed to use the iPad in the same room as I am).

Can we do it safely or should it be a hard no for now?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fruitmincepies

• Seayork2002

• riotproof

• LunaFreya

Top Posters In This Topic

My DS is six and uses it, likes using programs with trains and trams. I’ve watched him play with it and it seems safe as he pays no attention to the chat

We let DS in Year 3 as he had his own Ipad then, I was not fully happy with letting him but there was not much he felt he could talk to his friends about it as they were all into it so we gave in

I don't remember any issues with it

I would say no merely because its so addictive! My 6 year old has had it for nearly a year. Its all her and her sister want to do! We haven't had any trouble in it though, and I've not locked it down, just told her that she's not allowed to accept friend requests from people she doesn't know in real life.

One thing I do is I have created all DS's accounts so have his passwords etc. I checked things when he was younger and he knows I will always check even now at 13 if I think there is an issue but have not felt the need for ages

I would say no merely because its so addictive! My 6 year old has had it for nearly a year. Its all her and her sister want to do! We haven't had any trouble in it though, and I've not locked it down, just told her that she's not allowed to accept friend requests from people she doesn't know in real life.

I would try to hold off for this reason too.

Are her friends playing it?

I will not be letting DS1 (who is 7) play it.

I read an alarming article about it posted by The Cyber Safety Lady who I follow on Facebook. As far as I can tell (and I could be wrong but she seems pretty on the ball with this stuff) there is no way to prevent players from accessing inappropriate content.

Like 'orgy rooms' with sexually explicit signs on the walls and so on.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.smh.com.au%2Ftechnology%2Fsometimes-i-experience-nothing-other-times-it-s-rampant-sexual-material-warning-on-roblox-20210123-p56wcq.html&h=AT0EfpL5xm67HTt8OQ5TteRdl7OzkpY5RxUJWH_ZLeOkMD2pm0DY4u3ZYk_6jrBFZSc6XPlwo6hShcwlkEbLp3z4e0ZeoQmRCbp5lGrdnK3D2iLLuYZtSjTllSf6xFb7zH3CY0FuwYx9CmCi0Q&s=1

Fruitmincepies

I’m not sure if her friends are playing it or not, I’d say most would not be. But she’s (meant to be) starting a new school and I’m probably more inclined to let her have it if it helps her to be able to talk about it. She’s always been pretty good about iPad use, once the initial shine of a new game has worn off. Getting it would be a big reward to work towards.

Fruitmincepies

I read an alarming article about it posted by The Cyber Safety Lady who I follow on Facebook. As far as I can tell (and I could be wrong but she seems pretty on the ball with this stuff) there is no way to prevent players from accessing inappropriate content.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.smh.com.au%2Ftechnology%2Fsometimes-i-experience-nothing-other-times-it-s-rampant-sexual-material-warning-on-roblox-20210123-p56wcq.html&h=AT0EfpL5xm67HTt8OQ5TteRdl7OzkpY5RxUJWH_ZLeOkMD2pm0DY4u3ZYk_6jrBFZSc6XPlwo6hShcwlkEbLp3z4e0ZeoQmRCbp5lGrdnK3D2iLLuYZtSjTllSf6xFb7zH3CY0FuwYx9CmCi0Q&s=1

That’s my major hesitation.

I’m not sure if her friends are playing it or not, I’d say most would not be. But she’s (meant to be) starting a new school and I’m probably more inclined to let her have it if it helps her to be able to talk about it. She’s always been pretty good about iPad use, once the initial shine of a new game has worn off. Getting it would be a big reward to work towards.

I’d ask her specifically what she wants to play on it and go from there.

You may find you can allow her to play her game, but with a very tight time frame so you or another adult can actively supervise while she’s playing.

Ds has never been exposed to anything like what that article says, but it’s like YouTube for games, it is certainly possible. Though I’d imagine they do clamp down fast.

I did google **hub and roblox btw and there was only one video obviously using roblox content. Could not bring myself to watch it in the aid of research though.

DS1 is 7 and started playing it after Christmas. I have locked it down completely so he can't chat or have friend requests. I don't think any of his school friends are on it so he is fine with the restrictions for the moment.

I have a parent account linked so I can see what he is doing and so far I think this has worked well. Myself or DH are usually in the room with him when he is playing so we can keep an eye on him.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean Susan McLean? Yes I saw her do a talk on cyber safety and it scared me! There’s no way my kids will play roblox after what she told us!

Advertisement