IGNORED

Password hacking?

Secret 7

Over the last 2 days I have received email alerts from Netflix, Twitter and Microsoft that someone has attempted to log in to these accounts.

I have scanned my phone for malware but what else should I be doing?

Could it be signs of identity theft or just someone/something using my Gmail address?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Secret 7

• alchetta

• riotproof

• Jerry

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last 2 days I have received email alerts from Netflix, Twitter and Microsoft that someone has attempted to log in to these accounts.

I have scanned my phone for malware but what else should I be doing?

Could it be signs of identity theft or just someone/something using my Gmail address?

I've been getting these for the past couple of weeks! Google, Twitter, Spotify, and some others I think. I was wondering if my computer had a virus... I did ask DH to look as I don't know about this sort of stuff, but I don't think he has...

Make sure you have a strong password and two factor security if possible.

Could be an accident or typo, it could be targeted.

Did your email get caught up in security breaches? I think there is a website to check.

Make sure you have a strong password and two factor security if possible.

Could be an accident or typo, it could be targeted.

Did your email get caught up in security breaches? I think there is a website to check.

Thanks I will check that out.

Yeah my passwords are pretty weak and that has been on my mind lately.

I had someone hack my Netflix which I had cancelled months earlier. Netflix kept my credit card details even though I had cancelled before paying after the first month free trial. I got an email welcoming me back and my credit card was charged, the hacker was in Bogota, Colombia. Side note Netflix is cheaper in Colombia!

That was enough for me to go clean slate and set new auto-generated complicated passwords with a password manager as I don't trust companies not to breach my data and my credit card number. Netflix claimed no wrongdoing even though they shouldn't have kept me on their books at all let alone my credit card details, and blamed me for not having a strong enough password.

I had someone hack my Netflix which I had cancelled months earlier. Netflix kept my credit card details even though I had cancelled before paying after the first month free trial. I got an email welcoming me back and my credit card was charged, the hacker was in Bogota, Colombia. Side note Netflix is cheaper in Colombia!

That was enough for me to go clean slate and set new auto-generated complicated passwords with a password manager as I don't trust companies not to breach my data and my credit card number. Netflix claimed no wrongdoing even though they shouldn't have kept me on their books at all let alone my credit card details, and blamed me for not having a strong enough password.

I think I will do this too. Can you recommend a password manager? Is it an app?

Our Disney Plus account was hacked by someone who is Spanish speaking, has a large family/friends and similar movie tastes to DP.

I’ve then had to change my email passwords etc too.

Just happened last week.

I think I will do this too. Can you recommend a password manager? Is it an app?

I just sold my soul to Google in exchange for convenience - if you have a Google account then I think you can do it in Chrome? I have a Pixel phone so started using it there but if you google it (lol) you'll find out. I think my husband and a number of my colleagues use 1password.

I wouldn't download an app without searching trusted review sites first as I bet that would be one of the hottest ways for hackers to get everybody's passwords through a seemingly legit app!

Lady Sybil Vimes

I had someone in France hack my Netflix account. I think my email & password were leaked in the Yahoo security breach. Netflix were great about helping me out, I rang and talked to their American call centre and they were very impressive. I had my account back and my email changed in about five minutes.

I also had a notification that someone tried to get into my Disney+ account so I've beefed up my passwords there.

If you go to this site and put in your email address it will tell you if it's been compromised in a data breach: https://haveibeenpwned.com

Chillipeppers

Oh this happened to me when my kids downloaded Tik tok on their iPads. First my email was hacked and then they tried accessing my applieid account but I was alerted because I have 2 factor authentication turned on. Since this happened I have banned Tik tok.

• 4 weeks later...
Sugarplum Poobah

I'd also highly recommend getting a prepaid Mastercard (I've got the Australia post version, but I'm sure there are others) and using that for Netflix etc. The most you can lose is whatever your current balance is. Far better than compromising your credit card. Netflix et al are notorious for security breaches. I use a junk email address and a prepaid card so I don't have to worry about issues elsewhere

Advertisement