IGNORED

Owning a boat

Spidey_Senses

Princess Peach

We have a 10 foot tinny & it’s perfect. Cheap to run & comfortably fits the 4 of us in it to get us where we want to go. Can be towed with a normal car as well.

But even with an outboard. The motor does need to be serviced every couple of years. The boat itself only needs a wash down, so easy to maintain.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spidey_Senses

• LemonMyrtle

• Chicken Pie

• squeekums-the-elf

Top Posters In This Topic

LemonMyrtle

My family had a succession of small yachts when I was growing up, Dad loved to sail.

Yachts are a money pit, there's the yacht itself, paying for the berth, repairs and maintenance, like when a motor blew up. Can't remember if yacht club fees included berthing fees. Then there's the cost of the snappy yacht club t-shirts and raincoats lol.

And because everything is so costly, there's the impetus to drive down and visit each weekend to check out the boat, yacht racing, social events etc, which is a time thing rather than a money thing.

All that said, we had some really magical times on the boat with friends and family. But yeah, money pit!

You don’t have to keep your yacht in a permanent berth though, (unless it’s huge). We never did, we kept it at home, in the back yard. And you don’t have to join a yacht club or race it. And resale on a yacht is pretty good. It’s about the same as owning a caravan, I’d say.

Like anything, I guess, a boat is what you make of it. If you want it to be expensive, it can be, it can be million-dollars-expensive, but you can easily cut costs by getting something small and manageable, that suits your real needs, and by buying second hand and doing a lot of regular maintenance yourself.

Are you talking about a tinny to do a bit of fishing in, or a mahoosive yacht that sleeps multiple people? Because the first is pretty cheap while there are holiday houses costing less than the latter. There's also a mid point obviously 😁

The fancier it is, the more there is to go wrong and the more money you'll throw at it. A good reliable motor and general seaworthiness are your basic starting points. (I am very close to someone who likes to buy things he can "fix up". It's not a course of action I'd recommend...)

Come to think of it, we do actually have a boat - a leaky sailboat we’ve been storing (we have plenty of space) for a friend for several years! At this point, I think the tarp covering it is worth more than the boat itself...

We’re getting ready to redo the area the boat is on, so it’s going to have to go soon. Anyone want a leaky sailboat with a rickety trailer??

StillFreddiesMum

The best analogy I ever heard about buying a boat was to stand fully clothed in a shower and open your wallet and just throw money down the drain. Keep standing there throwing money (preferrably $100 bills) until you are completely drenched and then throw your wallet down the drain. Then turn the shower off, find more money ($100 bills) and continue to throw money down the drain. I would never buy a boat not even if we had won the Lotto !

Spidey_Senses

Meant to add we launch at North Haven but have travelled far out to fish from there. Yorkes is good fishing and I find generally better than Adelaide

DD loves it too

Adelaide is so fished out! We catch so much more if we go to Yorkes.

We have a 10 foot tinny & it’s perfect. Cheap to run & comfortably fits the 4 of us in it to get us where we want to go. Can be towed with a normal car as well.

But even with an outboard. The motor does need to be serviced every couple of years. The boat itself only needs a wash down, so easy to maintain.

That sounds perfect for what we want actually. Glad to hear its working well for you.

squeekums-the-elf

A friend owns one as says it is 'a great big hole with which to throw money in' so if you are willing to spend a lot to maintain it great, and I am sure others will have boats that don't cost a lot but I am only speaking of what they told us

B - break

O - out

A - another

T - thousand

i wish i was joking

squeekums-the-elf

Meant to add we launch at North Haven but have travelled far out to fish from there. Yorkes is good fishing and I find generally better than Adelaide

DD loves it too

Where abouts? Upper yorkes is fished out you mean

with how many have come to make camp over easter and school holidays, the yorkes will bloody sink

Many of the locals in my town complain there no fish, unless you want snapper which you cant keep here in SA so effectively pointless for the locals looking for a feed

too many "pro" boats and netters destroying the sea beds/breeding grounds, taking everything they bring up, plus tourist season, we fishless

Chicken Pie

DD loves it too

Where abouts? Upper yorkes is fished out you mean

with how many have come to make camp over easter and school holidays, the yorkes will bloody sink

Many of the locals in my town complain there no fish, unless you want snapper which you cant keep here in SA so effectively pointless for the locals looking for a feed

too many "pro" boats and netters destroying the sea beds/breeding grounds, taking everything they bring up, plus tourist season, we fishless

I meant Adelaide is fished out and way too many boats

We prefer going out Yorkes (we usually at Pt Victoria) but we also travel far out

It really depends how much you'll use it. Can you look at how much it costs to hire whatever you want for a year of holidays, or one big holiday, or whatever it is you're fantasizing about when you think of buying it? Then look at what it costs to buy/store/insure, and to get a licence for each of the adults (and remember you can't drink when you use it, just like a car).

It might be cheaper to just hire one when you want it. As a bit of an analogy, my husband and I share a car, and on the odd occasions we both need it on the same day, one of us uses car next door/other hire car services. People who automatically assume it's always cheaper to own the thing, whatever the thing is, are horrified, but you really have to look at how often you'd need it.

Advertisement