IGNORED

Christmas craft

onetrick

I can never keep up with the Corona craft thread (so much talent in there!! I feel like knitting and sewing are rabbit holes that I could easily fall down!), but I was wondering what people are doing for Christmas craft? Either for your own homes or for presents? Cooking and baking totally count, too :)

So far, I'm making my mum a picture frame with all of our names (kids and grandkids) in scrabble tiles inside. I've done some mock ups and I think I have the layout sorted (too many short names makes it a little hard though!!).

Not sure what else just yet? Would love to hear your ideas!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nighthawk

• DragonsGrace

• onetrick

• 4hunter

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh hello! I'm not great with proper craft - my husband made our wedding invitations lol - but I do sew. When I was new to sewing, I made little Christmas stockings, one for each family member, just big enough for some lollies.

This year, I'm going to try making a little Christmas dress for my friend's awesome little newborn. I have all the fabric and supplies ready to go, I just need to start.

And that's where I always fall down! At the start. Lol. But I'm pretty determined to get this one done.

[mention]Chaotic Pogo[/mention] Yep, I'm making the Raleigh dress by Blank Slate. It took me quite a while to choose the pattern, because I wanted something easy, so ensure a perfectly neat finish. I don't normally sew for others, because I get stressed out trying to make it perfect, so on the rare occasions that I do, I use the simplest patterns possible.

I also wanted a pattern suitable for quilting cotton, as most Christmas fabric is in quilting weight.

But I can't start yet, because I need to panic-sew some lightweight pants for myself hehe.

[mention]Chaotic Pogo[/mention] I've bought this:

Screenshot-20201107-220127.png

Like the sewing pattern, it took a lot of searching to find just the right fabric. I ordered during lockdown, when a lot of stuff was out of stock or unavailable for click-and-collect (I'd given up on Aus Post at that point).

I'm really happy - it has a softer hand than I'd imagined.

• 3 weeks later...

I made some rhubarb and strawberry jam, and I have plans to make lemon curd and spiced pear honey jam as house gifts this year. We aren’t doing our usual Kris Kringle, just gifts for kids. I might knit some socks for gifts but I’ve been a bit slack on that front lately.

I've been working on a new advent calendar. 25 little origami triangular pyramids that open up to little surprises. Just need to add the numbers and they are done. They took me a lot longer than I expected though!

20201123-112811.jpg

I make a shopping tote every year for DDs teacher, this year we picked a green and gold mermaid scale fabric so I’ll do that soon. Also bought a soap making kit last Xmas and finally got that out but didn’t have enough soap to even fill one of the moulds so I ordered 2kg of clear soap base and got another kit with some more colours and scents so DD and I will make some soap for the teacher plus librarian (who never fails to tell me how much she loves DD).

I made DD a new Santa sack this year as the one I made for her originally was more of a placeholder to use as a demo for when I started my bag making biz. It currently has her stocking presents in it atm so I’ll load a photo later. But it has polar bears and Pom Pom’s, so cute. Also made one for my DHs cousin who lives with us while she’s doing her apprenticeship using koala Xmas themed fabric I bought last year (thought I bought FQs but forgot to change the box on the website and bought 3 25cm strips instead so no use for what I planned for them).

I also bought some black fleece offcut so I can try to make Elvis wigs for DD EOTS to go with the sparkly jumpsuits I got for them from the Reject shop.

And I have a kumquat tree so I attempted to make kumquat jamalade for a few Xmas gifts. Spent 2hours cutting the tiny buggers up only to burn the fruit at the bottom of the pot when I went to the toilet. Tasted like shit anyway haha

Advertisement