IGNORED

Knitting advice please

ABabyPlease

ABabyPlease

My MIL was knitting a jumper for DS before she died a few years ago. It is three quarters finished but does not fit him now.

Is there something that I can do with the knitted parts?

Or could I undo the knitting and reuse the wool?

I can do very basic knitting only but I really like the wool, which I bought many years ago.

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ABabyPlease

• Mumrocks

• CrankyM

• Antifa

Top Posters In This Topic

Jersey Caramel

Yes you can unravel it and reuse the wool. Just need to snip at the top corner where it was tied off and then you should be able to just pull it to unravel. It will be a bit crinkled but just reroll it into a ball and it will be fine.

You can unravel it- once you’ve done that you can stream it and it will unkink. If you let me know how much you have and what type I can suggest a couple of beginner patterns if you like?

ABabyPlease

Hi Rosie, what do you mean when you say I can unravel and stream it? Do you mean steam? How do I do this?

Wrt another pattern, I would love that. I have somewhere between 7-9 balls. 50gm, 8 ply. The wool is multicoloured so I reckon I could always add in another complementary colour if necessary.

Mum rocks, I like that idea but if I'm going to knit, I would prefer something that can be worn.

[mention]ABabyPlease[/mention] you steam it, like with an iron/steamer to get the kinks out that will be in the wool from unravelling it. Another option is just to put it into a hank (I've used the bottom of a chair and wound it around the four legs. Kinda like winding a hose/cord into a circle. Then tie cotton around the hank so it doesn't fall apart and tangle). Then soak in a bucket and hang to drip dry. Don't agitate the wool unless you know it is definitely superwash, and even then be careful. Basically it's to get the kinks out of the yarn so it's easier to reknit. If you have basic knitting skills make something like a Milo vest? That is pretty easy but you do need to be able to knit circular (I do know some have done it flat and sewed the sides up. My younger kid fit into his Milo for ages. (pattern: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/milo-3) Or a scarf. If you can knit and purl there are some great textured scarfs out there. And it's rectangular so no increases or decreases ;)

Advertisement