IGNORED

I want to learn to crochet

FloFlo

I would really love to learn how to crochet. What do I need? Are there any books or YouTube tutorials that can guide me step by step? I'm left handed if that makes a difference.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FloFlo

• purpentine

• Trampoline

• s_mdn v2.0

Top Posters In This Topic

I did it during lockdown. I found it much easier than knitting that I have tired before. I used YouTube videos. I would just search through to find a person that I liked and would pause and rewind a lot. Good luck! I’ve made a blanket, basket, and a few other bits and pieces. I’m struggling to do anything more complex though as I can remember what stitches I have done/need to do. So the things I have made are the same stitch repeated, which is much more relaxing to do

Edited by Living Type

Crochet stitches are basically variations on a few basics so it’s easy to pick up. The biggest hurdle will be learning to read patterns. Crochet has two ‘languages’ - UK and US terms, I strongly recommend learning both because a lot of designers exclusively publish patterns in one set of terms.

There are a few YouTubers who have left handed videos. Bella coco and moogly have good videos and offer left hand versions.

Start with a ball of 8ply/DK weight yarn and a 4mm hook (I like clover hooks) and practice the basics. When you have the hang of forming stitches, work on your tension. Once you have consistent tension, chose some beginner friendly projects that have you learning something new each time.

There are plenty of you tube videos on crochet basics. Left handed ones too. And there are Facebook groups. Start with those then buy a book, the videos are easier than following a book.

Start with a decent sized hook, like a 5mm, and fat yarn, maybe 10 or 12ply (also known as Aran or medium weight)

Trickiest thing is getting the turns right, so start with a narrow project, like a narrow scarf, and just get going backwards and forwards in a basic stitch right.

The other tricky thing is that Australian/UK and US crochet terms are different, and yarn sizes have a lot of different names. Make sure you know which terms the video you are watching is using.

Here are some handy charts.

Yarn weight:

https://crystalsandcrochet.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/yarn-weight-guide.jpg

Crochet names and symbols:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6l-yq_UGM1oRLYPkiwKKCUqsKmYd4eMb4Tg&usqp=CAU

I am by no means good a crochet, I wish I was, I am a knitter. But I did go to some classes a few years ago now and found it relatively straightforward to do. But it was the patterns that got me and I didn't give it enough practice.

Good video instruction for me is much easier than a book. I have to have someone explain it to me and hear the instructions as much as see what they are doing, so any video content you can get your hands on I would.

• 4 months later...
purpentine

How did you go?

I self taught basic crochet a couple of years ago, and want to attend a short course soon to improve on my skills, and pattern reading.

I used Bella Coco on youtube a lot, she does tonnes of mini swatch tutorials for many different stitches, and teaches for left and right handed crocheters.

I also joined a crochet community on FB.

s_mdn v2.0

I am by no means good a crochet, I wish I was, I am a knitter. But I did go to some classes a few years ago now and found it relatively straightforward to do. But it was the patterns that got me and I didn't give it enough practice.

Good video instruction for me is much easier than a book. I have to have someone explain it to me and hear the instructions as much as see what they are doing, so any video content you can get your hands on I would.

Similar deal here.

Not much of a knitter though.

DH's Granny who was a fantastic crocheter taught me the basics. I picked it up easily apparently but the difficulty in patten reading discouraged me. Then chronic pain was exacerbated when I crocheted and I just gave up trying. So I need to start again.

A good hobby that is relaxing

when you get into it

Trampoline

Make sure you start with a light coloured yarn. It can be super tricky for a beginner to decipher stitches in a darker colour.

Rainbowbear

I love to crochet and learned via YouTube videos there are so many out there for just about everything.

I agree with sticking with a lighter colour year to begin with to make it easier to see

mandelbrot

I taught myself from the back of a pattern book, but use you tube videos for new techniques. These days I'd probably just start with you tube!

Be careful what yarn you choose for learning - I think something slightly stiff and scratchy is easier to learn on! Soft and slippery tends to be a bit looser so it will come undone and the stitches will be less defined and harder to see.

I learned by following Bella Coco’s YouTube videos. It’s very easy and relaxing and I much prefer it to knitting. Just start by making a scarf or small blanket. I found it easiest to start with a size 5mm, a nice neutral colour and thick-ish but not too chunky wool - the labels will tell you what size crochet to use for the right tension. I make beanies over winter and give them to family.

I love Bella Coco’s videos - so straight forward and clear.

Advertisement