IGNORED

Looking for book suggestions (character based modern fiction)

Seayork2002

Seayork2002

I read one book recently which was a like a modern adrian mole-ish and am currently reading another 'coming of age' after uni book

It is a breath of fresh air after my crime series, which I enjoy and will go back to

I don't want 'chick-flick' romance boyfriend/girlfriend will they won't they ones but something that is about a character or two and their life

I am not against romance in books but don't want the ones where the sole purpose is dating or dating till they get married type ones

I don't want heavy but books we can all relate too generally

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• CrankyM

• Lou-bags

• Purpleblaze

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried just going to amazon, looking up the book you enjoyed and see what comes up under "other customers who purchase this bought this"

That's how I often find myself down a rabbit hole and find books I like similar to another author or title.

Oh, also those amazon samples are great. I never buy anymore until I've read the sample unless it's an author on my autobuy list. It usually gives you a decent clue as to if you are going to like it or not

I think you’d like Britt Marie was here by Frederick Bachman.

Also books by Glenna Thomson and Toni Jordan. I don’t think any were romances, but I love the stories and the characters.

I know a perfect book to suggest.....

Do you think I can remember anything useful about it? I feel like I'm one of those customers:

"I want a book, it has people in it. And a cover. And the author definitely had a name."

Seayork2002

Do you think I can remember anything useful about it? I feel like I'm one of those customers:

"I want a book, it has people in it. And a cover. And the author definitely had a name."

Ha! I totally agree, I worked in a book department many years ago and was on the receiving end of that type of thing but strangely enough I actually knew the book, but I have done that to others 'you know the one with the blue cover one by whats their name from that tv show that I can't remember'

Kiwi Bicycle

Ha! I totally agree, I worked in a book department many years ago and was on the receiving end of that type of thing but strangely enough I actually knew the book, but I have done that to others 'you know the one with the blue cover one by whats their name from that tv show that I can't remember'

Yes, had that working at Dymocks too. If they were lucky it was a new release which I knew about. However if you were talking about a Scifi or fantasy title I was pretty good at finding it.

Have you read Craig Silvey's books? Jasper Jones and Honeybee?

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman?

I was coming to suggest Fredrik Backman too [mention]riotproof[/mention]. I’m currently enjoying A Man Called Ove (audiobook). Backmans books are all a joy to read for me (even though Beartown and the sequel deal with some heavy topics).

A Man Called Ove is lovely.

In the same style - The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared

Daisy Jones and the Six

I hated Eleanor. Hated. Her therapist was probably a big reason she was the way she was. Worst 'therapy' writing I've ever seen and I was appalled the author didn't at least run the basics by someone who knows the area, given it has such a large place in the book.

I loved A Lonely Girl is a Dangerous Thing - Jessie Tu. But lots of others don't.

Purpleblaze

Daisy Jones and the Six - it's written as if each character is talking and it was suggested to me to listen to the audiobook rather than reading the book. It was a very interesting read.

Katherine Center - Things you save in a fire

Mhairi McFarlane - most of her books

Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo (this is fantasy which is definitely not my genre but I didn't mind this one)

May be a bit bit chick lit-ish but anything from Penny Reid is really good, smart chick lit as opposed to airy and fluffy.

Advertisement