IGNORED

Reading challenge 2021

Seayork2002

13. Ten Things I Hate About Me - Randa Abdel - Fattah

I loved this. If you liked "Looking for Alibrandi" or "Saving Francesca" you will like this. A good light feel good warm and fuzzy read (or listen in my case).

14. Fool Me Once - Harlan Coben

My first 5 star listen for the year. Thrilling and suspenseful all the way through with characters you really relate to and fall for.

15. You Sent Me A Letter - Lucy Dawson

Terrible. Shit. Ridiculous and couldn't even deliver a decent ending to reward me for my persistence.

Oh god, I agree about the Lucy Dawson one. Omfg. So bad.

Have you read any of their other books? I have one on reserve and wonder if I should bother.

I’m not sure. I tend to read thrillers as a circuit breaker when I’m bored, so I don’t have favourite authors other than Karin Slaughter because her name is soooo memorable.

If it’s a library book, it’s probably worth a shot??

Ha, [mention]riotproof[/mention] that's the one I have on reserve. Ill keep it on reserve. I'll see if borrowbox has any Karen Slaughter........that is a rad name!

Seayork2002

Ha, @riotproof that's the one I have on reserve. Ill keep it on reserve. I'll see if borrowbox has any Karen Slaughter........that is a rad name!

She writes great books I have read a few but I find US books a bit overwhelming so I need a big break between them

Borrowbox has nothing of theirs, damn it. Nevermind.

I switch genres for the same reason. I get "heavied out" and look for lighter reads (listens) when I need a break. I find historical fictions bog me down after a while and need something light for a while before going back to it.

Ha, @riotproof that's the one I have on reserve. Ill keep it on reserve. I'll see if borrowbox has any Karen Slaughter........that is a rad name!

It is, isn’t it? Perfect for a crime writer. Do you have Libby too?

It is, isn’t it? Perfect for a crime writer. Do you have Libby too?

Libby?

Sancti-claws

I seem to have put down more than I have finished in the last little while.

#10/52 The printed letter bookshop - Reay, Katherine - look, it wasn't terrible and I didn't hate the characters, we got to a good ending and the right people ended up happy.

#11/52 Snakes and ladders : a memoir - Williams, Angela - this was quite good - a bit of a pity it was real but worth reading.

Sorry! You can ask them about it?

Do you have RBdigital? That is meant to be moving to Libby soon. They are for magazines.

I've just looked and my Library definitely only uses borrowbox. Its all good. I always find something to listen to in there. I have learned now to make sure they have the entire series of something before listening to book 1. Ive been caught out a few times with that.

I toy with the idea of audible but I think that with the amount I go through it will be very expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

16. The Jacaranda House - Deborah Challinor

Set in Kings Cross 1964, I adored this. It was full of lovable colourful troubled characters who you can't help but get attached to.

17. The Wicked King, The Folk of the Air book 2 - Holly Black

18. The Queen of Nothing, The Folk of the Air book 3 - Holly Black

I loved this entire trilogy. Solid characters, magic, action, romance, complicated relationships, suspense. It had it all and I'm sad it's over.

19. Everything You Told Me - Lucy Dawson

I went into this with extremely low expectations after that last one of hers I endured but this one was a ripper. A little predictable but some surprises thrown in at the end.

Sancti-claws

#12/52 Mrs Kelly - Grantlee Kieza - I read this after someone in here mentioned it. Quite interesting.

#13/52 Britt-Marie was here - Fredrik Backman - I am on a bit of a Fredrik Backman kick - and I was not disappointed.

#14/52 Pieces of blue - Kerry McGinnis - I enjoyed this recount of a teenage life spent with siblings and a dad on the road.

20. Kitty (smugglers wife book 1) - Deborah Challinor

Another Historical Fiction set in New Zealand and Australia. I loved it and can't wait for the next book, but will have to be patient as its not available until the 5th April.

21. The Dressmaker - Rosalie Ham

I gasped, I laughed, I was often picking my jaw off the floor. Absolutely brilliant. As I experienced it as an audiobook I will say the way it was narrated threw me a bit at times. It was like reading a long EB post without paragraphs but I got used to it. Now I've started watching the movie and have the next book on reserve. Ill also be looking into see what else the author has to offer. I like her humour.

Thanks [mention]jojonbeanie[/mention] for the recommendation.

Hi everyone, I'd love to join if that's okay. :) I love to read and listen to quite a few audio books as well (my job includes a lot of mindless data entry).

I usually have 3-4 books going at the same time; hardback, kindle and audio. This year i have put my goal at 50 books and have read/listened to 13 so far.

I'll give any genre a try but my favourites are high fantasy, romance, YA, NA and the odd crime or thriller mixed in, I do love a good twist that i don't guess halfway through. :)

I'm looking forward to some good recommendations from this page.

Sancti-claws

#15/52 The Angel of Waterloo - Jackie French

I read this for book club, and despite a Clan of the Cave Bear feeling in the middle of the book (the heroine is a little too good to be true) there was an unexpected twist at the end that put the whole of the rest of it into a much more digestible ponderance from this angle.

#16/52 Inheriting Edith - Zoe Fishman - I actually ended up really liking this book - even though it is a "here is a fairly unbelievable situation with a romance line" book, the characters are more than that and the storyline was well done without overplaying it.

22. Pieces of Blue - Kerry McGinnis

I am extremely sensitive to anything to do with animals, so I have to say I struggled a lot with this one for that reason alone. I love the country, but I would of made a shit country girl that's for sure. One working with livestock anyway.

23. The Year of the Farmer - Rosalie Ham

After listening to The Dressmaker I went looking for more by Rosalie Ham and found this one. Sadly I didn't like it. I can't even put my finger on why, it was just bland and unenjoyable. I stuck it out due to pure stubbornness.

I really need a good read now. I'm feeling very deflated. I almost want to listen to something

I've already listened to Jane enjoyed just to raise my spirits.

Willa May, that is so disappointing. I wanted to like the dressmaker but I couldn’t. Not even sure I bothered with the movie.

I’m reading Anxious People by Frederick Bachman and I give my marriage a year by someone wainwright?

Both are okay. I’m not feeling the Bachman one like I feel I should. The marriage one is interesting in the way it seems very authentic.

Advertisement