IGNORED

Reading challenge 2021

Seayork2002

LOL. Every year I say I'm going to do this, and every year I give up. Not because I haven't read anything, but because I forget to record my efforts. I may as well try again in 2021. Maybe that will be my year to read and record 50 titles.

Holy crap, 100 books in a year is a mammoth effort! Impressed. (and a little intimidated...)

I could likely do 200, but depends on what my year is like. I’m currently reading book #110 for me this year, and that is with a few slow months; I’ve not read anything in a month.

Last year I did 330, but at least half or more were audiobooks. This year I’ve only done about 2 or 3 audiobooks.

I think that I am doing well with a book a week - if we were counting the ones that I started and then didn't finish the number would be much higher.

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Holy crap, 100 books in a year is a mammoth effort! Impressed. (and a little intimidated...)

I could likely do 200, but depends on what my year is like. I’m currently reading book #110 for me this year, and that is with a few slow months; I’ve not read anything in a month.

Last year I did 330, but at least half or more were audiobooks. This year I’ve only done about 2 or 3 audiobooks.

330 books in a year, that's pretty much 1 book a day! Even 200 books is nearly a book every second day (sorta). Yikes!

330 books in a year, that's pretty much 1 book a day! Even 200 books is nearly a book every second day (sorta). Yikes!

It seems like a shitload when you put it like that, lol.

Admittedly I had the audiobooks on either 2x or 3x speeds when listening. I couldn’t listen to them at normal speed, they droned on far too much. So I could usually get through an audiobook a day, and then I’d get through 2-3 Paperbacks in a week.

I wouldn’t do that now though, I prefer to stick to just reading, with the occasional audiobook if its non-fiction. At 1.5x speed.

When you read so many books what method do you use for selecting them? Do you read reviews or just borrow what's on the 'recently returned' shelf? I'm assuming you are a library user.

[mention]jojonbeanie[/mention] I try and avoid reviews, as it skews with whether I will read something or not. I prefer to just see a book, read the blurb and figure out from there if it piques my interest. I purposely go through book lists and find books to add to my ‘want to read’ list, and then read them wherever I can find them; library, BorrowBox, Libby, IndyReads or buying them either through Apple Books, or as a physical copy. Oh and also thrift stores.

Last years mass read/listen was via BorrowBox, Libby, local library and my own books exclusively. I was just going for whatever interested me. Honestly, with the audiobooks, not a lot stuck with me, as it was all a distraction and take my mind off things more than anything, so there are a few I’ve decided I need to reread. I’m slightly embarrassed with my 2019 read count.

I don’t buy much now, as I have plenty waiting on my iPad to read, which should do me for the next year or so - also with what I still have on my physical bookshelves and the few I intend on buying upon their release next year.

Next year I hope to just stick with reading the books I have, but I know I’ll end up buying a few and increasing my pile 🤦🏻‍♀️

[mention]sunsaboveitreya[/mention] I read reviews mainly when I’m having a hard time getting into it or finding something really annoying. If they confirm what I’m thinking I feel better about dnf.

• Like 1

[mention]riotproof[/mention] I’ll admit I’ve don’t that a few times, so long as it’s spoiler free. When I was reading Harrow the Ninth this year, I was so bloody confused and had to see if I was the only one, so checked out a few reviews.

I sometimes don’t even read the entire blurb of a book before I read it, no idea why. Most of the time I’ll hear or read a very brief description and then purposefully avoid reading any more about it, especially if I know it’s a book that I’ll enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, long time member (mostly lurker) from the old EB and until now a lurker here coming out especially for this thread. I've just been waiting for the new year to give me the courage to post in here. I'm a serial lurker of all the Reading challenge threads.

I "can't" read. Well I can, I can read the same paragraph over and over and over again and still not absorb it. So I listen to audio books. I use borrowbox so I don't always have access to what I want but I still always manage to find something to get lost in.

Last year I listened to 117 books, I'm trying to compile a top 5 or 10 to post on instagram right now. One of them will definitely be Circe oh and A Thousand Ships, both of which I read after seeing them on lists in these threads.

This year i'll go for 100. I'm not far off finishing the one I'm on, then I can officially start.

I'm going to aim for 20. I always aim too high and get disheartened when I fail, so this seems realistic. I also got a Kindle this year which has made incidental reading so much easier.

Book #1 will be Factory 19 by Dennis Glover

Last year I listened to 117 books, I'm trying to compile a top 5 or 10 to post on instagram right now. One of them will definitely be Circe oh and A Thousand Ships, both of which I read after seeing them on lists in these threads.

Thank you for those recommendations, I have put them on my reading list for the year, they look really good.

Do you listen to a lot of historical fiction? I used to read a bit of it but I haven't done much reading at all since I had my kids, are there any others that you would recommend?

ImperatorFuriosa

I've changed my amount to 100 and I'm doing this challenge. First book finished was The Secret History by Donna Tartt for the set in a school prompt. Currently reading The Pelican Brief by John Grisham for features the legal profession prompt and Mariana by Susanna Kearsley for the dual timeline prompt. Also still plodding through A Suitable Boy.

FB-IMG-1609338621567.jpg

Thank you for those recommendations, I have put them on my reading list for the year, they look really good.

Do you listen to a lot of historical fiction? I used to read a bit of it but I haven't done much reading at all since I had my kids, are there any others that you would recommend?

I think Historical Fiction is my latest obsession lol. I have a strange fascination with the Tudor era, I don't know why as it was bloody horrific. I just finished "The Taming Of the Queen" before I clocked off for 2020 and it was fabulous and now I'm looking into others like it. Sadly there isn't much of it on borrowbox. Im also open to any Historical fiction recommendations

Ive got A Prince of Troy and Henry VIII King and Court on reserve.

Advertisement