IGNORED

Adventure/crime/thriller books for dyslexic child

CrankyM

Okay brain trust. DS has/does read a lot of fantasy stuff but he wants to read some more crime/thriller type ones. He struggles with reading though. He is 12 BUT his reading level is about on par with you 8.5-9yr olds. 10 maybe after the outer most. About 24-25 in PM readers I think. (His reading hasn’t really been tested recently because well he was in yr 6 and in now in yr 7). He can read some stuff for older kids but it’s hard work and often the vocabulary gets him as he also has a speech delay. The Wings of Fire books are pretty much on par with where he is ability wise.

He had read the Alex Rider books, well the graphic novel versions anyway and enjoyed them. But I’m after some more recommendations.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrankyM

• riotproof

• Feebi

• Lurker

Top Posters In This Topic

Hunger Games is too complex at this point. He did borrow it but struggled to get through more then 1/3 and then lost track because there was so much energy going into decoding that his working memory struggled to remember previous chapters. And vocabulary was beyond him in places. He does have the Maze Runner but hasn’t cracked it yet.

It’s hard as he’s at an age where he wants to read more older books but just can’t successfully read them for a number of reasons.

The Tom Gates series or maybe the Ranger's Apprentice series and there is a great new series written by a Perth author

Super Sidekicks by Gavin Aung Thang. Also E Boy series by Anh Do and maybe try Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Hope that gives you some ideas

[mention]Kadoodle[/mention] I’ve tried audio books with him but he tends to zone out. I might try again. He has a David Williams but hasn’t started it yet. I’ll put it on the to try pile. I’ll see if I can find the others at the library to try. Though Erin Hunter is Warrior Cats isn’t it? I’m sure I have one on the shelf. Maybe as a graphic novel. (In case you can’t tell we have a lot of books 🤣). Otherwise I’m pretty sure the library has those.

We are listening to the worlds worst parents atm, Cranky in the car.

It’s bad but I personally can’t stand audio books. So it doesn’t happen in the car despite the 20min drive between home and town. But I could put borrow box on his phone and he has Bluetooth headphones so that would work. I just have to try and remember the code I locked his access to downloading apps with.

@Kadoodle I’ve tried audio books with him but he tends to zone out. I might try again. He has a David Williams but hasn’t started it yet. I’ll put it on the to try pile. I’ll see if I can find the others at the library to try. Though Erin Hunter is Warrior Cats isn’t it? I’m sure I have one on the shelf. Maybe as a graphic novel. (In case you can’t tell we have a lot of books 🤣). Otherwise I’m pretty sure the library has those.

There are approximately a gazillion warrior books. Some are better than others. I have the graphic novels if you want to borrow the first ones?

I was just trying to figure out which ones to try to start with. He's certainly prolific with writing. I'll PM you about borrowing them.

[mention]CrankyM[/mention] if you reach a point where there are are books he would like to read but can't due to struggling to decode the text, a c-pen reader may be an option. It is a small pen shaped scanner that converts text to audio. I purchased one for my teen with dyslexia. Mainly for school. It means that she can read some paragraphs herself and use the c-pen on the parts of the text that she is struggling with. I purchased mine through SPELD Qld. From memory it was around the $350 mark.

Advertisement