IGNORED

What are you reading?

riotproof

Fruitmincepies

I’ve just read the first two Louise Penny inspector Gamache books, after a recommendation on a thread here. I’ve really enjoyed them!

• 2 weeks later...
Seayork2002

I was not sure on this book but it is growing on me Your Friend Forever by Zena Barrie

Like Adrian Mole but letters to a pop star not a diary, starts in early 1980's

Not suggested for Young Adults though!

Silverstreak

I am on a big J.C. Owens binge at present, they write m/m romance with historical fantasy settings, but not too much fantasy, if you know what I mean? So there's occasionally dragons and centaurs and characters with magical powers, but not huge quests with hundreds of characters with mega long names, I find it hard to focus on those. I've worked out that approximately 250 pages is a good length book for me!

The author does gorgeous world building where you can just feel yourself riding a horse in the desert, or walking around a castle, admiring the furnishings.

Purpleblaze

I'm reading "Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger" by Rebecca Traister. It's really good, especially in today's climate and I'm finding myself better understanding patriarchy and the systemic undermining of women. Makes my blood boil though.

I'm reading The Dark is Rising sequence, midway through book 1 of the 5. It's always on the best YA fiction lists and now that the hourglass is on its side, I'm trying to read the books that were always on the 'one day' list.

Apart from a few outdated social attitudes, I'm enjoying it so far. Some of the scenes have real menace in them. Very thoughtful and atmospheric historical/Celtic mythology fantasy.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am on a big J.C. Owens binge at present, they write m/m romance with historical fantasy settings, but not too much fantasy, if you know what I mean? So there's occasionally dragons and centaurs and characters with magical powers, but not huge quests with hundreds of characters with mega long names, I find it hard to focus on those. I've worked out that approximately 250 pages is a good length book for me!

The author does gorgeous world building where you can just feel yourself riding a horse in the desert, or walking around a castle, admiring the furnishings.

Lol I hear you about the quests and crowded character lists with unmemorable names!

I'm reading the second in a historical fiction series called The King's Coin by Paula Constant. It follows four characters through a particular period in history - the ending of the reign of the Visigoths. I liked the first book (The Votive Crown) and this one is good too so far. Good if you like political intrigue and star crossed lovers and things of that nature.

• 2 months later...

I just finished Other people’s houses by Kelli  Hawkins. I don’t read a lot of thrillers but I enjoyed it. There are some similarities between it and The woman in the window. 

eta I’m meant to be getting the doctor one by Debra Oswald soon but I’m thinking of delaying it. Two domestic thrillers in a row seems like too much. 

Edited by riotproof
  • Like 1

About half way through The River Baptists by Belinda Castles, which I bought a few years ago and never could get into. 

I'm really enjoying it, partly because it's set only just up the river from me, and partly  because it's completely different to the Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine binge I've been on for the last little while. 

Just finished The Queen’s Gambit which had a great premise and fast pace, really enjoyed it. Couldn’t get into The Joyce Girl novel as much as I wanted to, because the story of James Joyce’s daughter is a fascinating one. Rereading Last Post, interviews with WW1 veterans. Very moving. Then I’m going to tackle any one of about 50 books no joking in the To Be Read box.

I’ve just finished Oath of Gold by Elizabeth Moon. It’s the 3rd in a fantastic trilogy (the deed of Paksenarrion) which I’ve read multiple times. 
I’m also halfway through Between Homes by WR Grindell which is urban fantasy set in Tasmania. It’s a bit slower then previous ones in the series. 
I also started Blackbird Crowned by Keri Arthur who is an Australian author though this book unusually for her isn’t set in Australia. (It’s really hard to get urban fantasy set in Australia). I waiting impatiently for her next Lizzie Grace book which isn’t due until October. 

Also I suspect I’ll be picking up a few Georgette Heyer ones because I love their lightness and they are usually so fun. And because @fruitmincepies reminded me of them. Balances out all the technical and formal academic writing I’m having to read for study at the moment. 

Edited by CrankyM
  • Like 2

I'm part way through "The Invisible Life of Us" written by Kate Jones and Mandy Hose, twin mums whose kids have special needs. It's quite enjoyable so far, highly recommend

Fruitmincepies
Just now, Sancti-claws said:

Am reading Tim Winton's The Riders at the moment.

It’s a long time since I read that, it would probably be an interesting reread now I’m a parent. 

I bought Karin Slaughter's newest book the day it came out - 7th July. I'm still not finished. I DON'T LIKE IT!!! I usually love her books, but I cannot get lost in this one. I hate both the main characters and I really don't care what happens to them. And they're both STUPID because I worked out what had happened well before they did.

Ugh. I'm cranky. I'd been looking forward to this stupid book and I HATE it!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ker said:

I bought Karin Slaughter's newest book the day it came out - 7th July. I'm still not finished. I DON'T LIKE IT!!! I usually love her books, but I cannot get lost in this one. I hate both the main characters and I really don't care what happens to them. And they're both STUPID because I worked out what had happened well before they did.

Ugh. I'm cranky. I'd been looking forward to this stupid book and I HATE it!

Put it in the opshop pile. 

• Like 3

I’m reading Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan.

Total fluff but with sleep deprivation, homeschooling & lockdown, fluff is what I need & all I can manage. It’s also been inspiring me to bake more lockdown loaves 😆

• Like 2

I'm reading The Power by Naomi Alderman.  It's a feminist novel about how society would change if women were suddenly more physically powerful than men.  It's making me even more angry about men.😡

• Like 2

I’ve just finished the audiobook of A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.

It took me longer to get into than his others that I’ve read (listened to) but in the end I loved it. Actually welled up a couple of times, some touching moments.

He’s a truly gifted writer, and the translations are clearly superb too. As are the narrators chosen for his audiobooks. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, riotproof said:

Put it in the opshop pile. 

I can't leave a book unfinished. And mum borrows all my Slaughter books after I'm done.

Advertisement