IGNORED

What are you reading?

riotproof

I just finished Honeybee and have started Promised Land by Barack Obama. I read Becoming by Michelle Obama about a year ago so it will interesting to see how they align (or don't).

Just finished The Godmothers by Monica Mcinerney.. I do love her. Such a great story and for people who like audiobooks, the narration is good. Three different people. Eliza is read by the actress who plays bess on upper middle bogan.

Currently reading One To Watch by Kate Stayman-London. One of the best romcoms I’ve read in a long time... about a plus sized influencer who writes a take down of a show with The Bachelor vibes that goes viral - and she ends up as the next Bachelorette.

Currently reading One To Watch by Kate Stayman-London. One of the best romcoms I’ve read in a long time... about a plus sized influencer who writes a take down of a show with The Bachelor vibes that goes viral - and she ends up as the next Bachelorette.

Would you say it’s about body positivity?

Would you say it’s about body positivity?

Yes definitely - the main character loves her body as it is but also has insecurities like we all do!

Thank you [mention]nomviv[/mention] viv, I'll keep it in mind for my challenge.

I have started The invisible life of Addie Larue by VE Shwab. Interesting, I am only a little way through.

• 1 month later...
ABabyPlease

Rodham by Curtis Sittenfeld

A fictional view of Hilliarys life if she hadn't married Bill.

I really enjoyed this one by a favourite author.

Currently on Barack Obama's 'A Promised Land' - very enjoyable, I like his writing style - very personal and you can feel his warmth and humanity. However, having also read Michelle Obama's 'Becoming' I know a lot of the story from a different angle and I like her storytelling better.

I've just finished a re-read of "A Night to Remember" by Walter Lord, a 1955 telling of the Titanic sinking. Good book. Then I read (first time) "The Other side of the Night" by Daniel Butler. This is the story of the two other ships most involved - Carpathia, which came to the rescue of the Titanic survivors, and Californian, whose captain paid no attention despite being in visual range of Titanic the whole time. His crewmen reported Titanic's distress rockets to him, and he paid no attention. They watched Titanic sink from a few miles away and did nothing, while Rostron (captain of Carpathia) raced 60 nautical miles in an unsurpassed example of leadership and seamanship, and rescued over 700 people.

I'm interested in human factors - why people do what they do. I've done a presentation on the Carpathia's rescue for the uni students, when I had to do a presentation on leadership.

Also, I like old books. It's easy to forget how different things were in the past - for example that fact that there wasn't really such a thing as adolescence the way we see it today. Both captains started their training going to sea at ages 12 and 13. My uncles all left school and went to work at 12, and my dad and two brothers emigrated to Australia from England on their own at ages 16, 17, and 18. They had 5 pounds money each, and had to make their own way from there. Bit different from now.

Coming late to the party, but [mention]sueratbag[/mention] you might like Carpathia by Jay Ludowyke. Brilliant account of the ship’s history, including that night, intertwined with the story of a group of divers wanting to dive the wreck.

ImperatorFuriosa

Lady Audley's Secret By Mary Elizabeth Braddon, Evicted by Matthew Desmond, Deep South by Paul Theroux, Maid by Stephanie Land, Broke USA by Gary Rivlin, The Working Poor by David K, Shipler and Fastfood Nation by Eric Schlosser.

I just finished The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett. It is excellent, such deep involving characters, and great twists with lots to think about.

Silverstreak

Almost finished reading the scandalous Peyton Place, about small town intrigue and I'm about to start Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, I was feeling like a working class lads book!

I just finished The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett. It is excellent, such deep involving characters, and great twists with lots to think about.

I have that one. I loved her book the mothers.

I'm trying to hurry up and finish the latest James Patterson Michael Bennett book. The newest Lisa Regan book drops in 2 days and I have it on preordained. I hate reading more than 1 book at a time.

Re-reading the Drumberly trilogy by DE Stevenson. If you want gentle feel good books set around the 1930s - 1950s in England and Scotland,her novels are great. There are heaps of them on Kindle and they're around the $5 mark.

Silverstreak

Slowly making my way through the Little House books. Have read Little House in the Big Woods, Farmer Boy, Little House on the Prairie, On the Banks of Plum Creek and now I'm up to By the Shores of Silver Lake. There are eight books in total and Farmer Boy is about the author's husband when he was a boy.

These books are really fascinating, I love reading about people building log houses, making butter and building furniture etc. A hard life though and I'm getting frustrated with Pa, who seems to drag his family across America. He decides they should settle in Native American lands that they have no right to occupy, proceeds to build a log house and starts farming, only to up sticks again when they get kicked out. Then he tells his wife "It's only a year wasted, we have our whole lives together etc.' His wife must have had the patience of a saint.

Currently reading The German Midwife by Mandy Robotham set in WW2

Such a good read on my exercise bike - before you know it 1/2 hr has gone by.

The author is a midwife so her storytelling of babies she has delivered is riveting

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly making my way through book #3 in the Daevabad trilogy, by S. A. Chakraborty, The Empire of Gold.

I badly want to get through it, but other things are distracting me, so it’s a very slow process at the moment.

It is good though, as were the other two books in the trilogy.

Sancti-claws

Re-reading The Dressmaker as I have been given The Dressmaker's Secret and have found that I can't remember who is what or why.

Advertisement