IGNORED

What are you reading?

riotproof

I just finished listening to the audiobook Convenience Store Woman and I really liked it. It was a bit quirky, but so funny, sad and it had a satisfying ending.

Looking at the reviews on goodreads though, it is quite polarising.

AltogetherElsewhere

‘This one wild and precious life’ by Sarah Wilson. God it’s thought provoking! Good if you’re an Alain de Botton fan (though less pretentious, possibly.)

Edited by AltogetherElsewhere

Not reading anything currently, I’ve been meaning too, but just been busy doing other ‘crap’.

I have V. E. Schwab’s latest release, The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, sitting here waiting for me to dive in. I desperately want to start it, but haven’t got to it yet.

Last book I read was a few weeks ago; The Survivors by Jane Harper. Wasn’t too bad. Enjoyable enough.

I am reading Rodham by Curtis Sittenfeld. I so wanted to love it but am just disappointed.

Last one was Where the Crawdads Sing which was amazing! Highly recommend

I've just finished a re-read of "A Night to Remember" by Walter Lord, a 1955 telling of the Titanic sinking. Good book. Then I read (first time) "The Other side of the Night" by Daniel Butler. This is the story of the two other ships most involved - Carpathia, which came to the rescue of the Titanic survivors, and Californian, whose captain paid no attention despite being in visual range of Titanic the whole time. His crewmen reported Titanic's distress rockets to him, and he paid no attention. They watched Titanic sink from a few miles away and did nothing, while Rostron (captain of Carpathia) raced 60 nautical miles in an unsurpassed example of leadership and seamanship, and rescued over 700 people.

I'm interested in human factors - why people do what they do. I've done a presentation on the Carpathia's rescue for the uni students, when I had to do a presentation on leadership.

Also, I like old books. It's easy to forget how different things were in the past - for example that fact that there wasn't really such a thing as adolescence the way we see it today. Both captains started their training going to sea at ages 12 and 13. My uncles all left school and went to work at 12, and my dad and two brothers emigrated to Australia from England on their own at ages 16, 17, and 18. They had 5 pounds money each, and had to make their own way from there. Bit different from now.

Edited by sueratbag

Going to start reading a book l got for my birthday. "The Pull Of The Stars." Of all things it's about a nurse that works in a hospital, where expectant mothers who have come down with an unfamiliar flu and are quarantined together and it has turned into a Pandemic. The author is Emma Donoghue.

The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart- I'm quite enjoying it

Oh I loved that one! The cover is soooo beautiful too.

ETA magic marker, I have that on reserve.

Going to start reading a book l got for my birthday. "The Pull Of The Stars." Of all things it's about a nurse that works in a hospital, where expectant mothers who have come down with an unfamiliar flu and are quarantined together and it has turned into a Pandemic. The author is Emma Donoghue.

Sounds very topical!!

I just finished reading "Circe". The author Madeline Miller explores Greek mythology from a feminist perspective.

There are many of life's themes that resonate here like unsupportive parents, framing a relationship in a much more positive light that it deserves, betrayal by siblings and so on.

I was really inspired by Circe's spirit and determination. She lives her immortal life on her own terms in the end.

I just finished reading "Circe". The author Madeline Miller explores Greek mythology from a feminist perspective.

There are many of life's themes that resonate here like unsupportive parents, framing a relationship in a much more positive light that it deserves, betrayal by siblings and so on.

I was really inspired by Circe's spirit and determination. She lives her immortal life on her own terms in the end.

Oh Circe was just wonderful! I love that one.

The Song of Achilles by the same author was just as brilliant.

How exciting - no idea Madeline Miller had written another. That's next on my list then. Thank you!

I am reading Rodham by Curtis Sittenfeld. I so wanted to love it but am just disappointed.

Last one was Where the Crawdads Sing which was amazing! Highly recommend

I agree with both!

I just finished Three Women - I don't know what to think! I was told it was about women's desire, but it was more about the dominance of men.

Now reading some fluff, Grown Ups by Marion Keyes, light-hearted and entertaining.

How exciting - no idea Madeline Miller had written another. That's next on my list then. Thank you!

You’re welcome!

It’s another Greek story, about of course, Achilles. And his good buddy Patroclus. So very good.

Jean and Johnny by Beverley Clearly, was in the mood for a sweet 1950s story today.

My sister had this book and I can remember sneaking into her room to read it when I was about 10. I always think of it when I sew anything with a pattern, remembering her plaid skirt.

Hi everyone, just dipping my toes into the new forum. I recently finished a novel by Elizabeth Taylor ‘A Game of Hide and Seek’. It was beautifully written and I would love to read more by the same author.

I've just finished a re-read of "A Night to Remember" by Walter Lord, a 1955 telling of the Titanic sinking. Good book. Then I read (first time) "The Other side of the Night" by Daniel Butler. This is the story of the two other ships most involved - Carpathia, which came to the rescue of the Titanic survivors, and Californian, whose captain paid no attention despite being in visual range of Titanic the whole time. His crewmen reported Titanic's distress rockets to him, and he paid no attention. They watched Titanic sink from a few miles away and did nothing, while Rostron (captain of Carpathia) raced 60 nautical miles in an unsurpassed example of leadership and seamanship, and rescued over 700 people.

I'm interested in human factors - why people do what they do. I've done a presentation on the Carpathia's rescue for the uni students, when I had to do a presentation on leadership.

Also, I like old books. It's easy to forget how different things were in the past - for example that fact that there wasn't really such a thing as adolescence the way we see it today. Both captains started their training going to sea at ages 12 and 13. My uncles all left school and went to work at 12, and my dad and two brothers emigrated to Australia from England on their own at ages 16, 17, and 18. They had 5 pounds money each, and had to make their own way from there. Bit different from now.

This sounds like a wonderful book, I will have to check it out :)

Last book I read was a few weeks ago; The Survivors by Jane Harper. Wasn’t too bad. Enjoyable enough.

I grabbed a copy of this last week. I loved her other books so am looking forward to reading it.

Advertisement