IGNORED

Book suggestions for the IL's

Seayork2002

Seayork2002

I have been ordering and having sent the my parents in law books to get them through the many British lockdowns

I have not many as to cut a long story short it has only happened recently

They hated the Richard Osman Thursday Book Club book (I was not a fan myself) but loved Dervla McTiernan's books and The Marlow Murder Club (written by the Death in Paradise writer)

I ordered them The Windsdor Knot (The queen solves crimes) but got it sent to me by mistake

They probably have half 'cosy' and half modern tastes

I have ordered them another and was thinking some of the Swedish ones written a few years ago

any other suggestions please?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jenflea

• Seayork2002

• Phillipa Crawford

• onetrick

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiwi Bicycle

Would they like Alexander McCall Smith, the No1 Detective Agency series or actually anything by him at all? He has a bit of a sense of humour.

i assume they've read the Ian Rankin Rebus books?

I go onto the Abbey's book shop site and search their mysteries. They give a good description of each title.

I like cosies mostly myself but also the odd historical mystery or modern (JD Robb for example).

Oh, I loved the Dervla McTiernan books, too! They were so good! One of my librarian friends recommended them to me and I really enjoyed them :)

Candice Fox is my recommendation for a 'new' author for people. There are a couple of different series. I wouldn't start with the Eden/ Hades ones as they are a bit more gruesome, but the others are good :) the ones co authored with James Patterson might be a good option?

Phillipa Crawford

I was going to suggest Louise Penny - she is amazing and her characters are delightful.

CS HArris Sebastian St Cyr mysteries. They are regency but all about the crimes not 'bodice ripping' great character arc too.

Anne Perry's Daniel Pitt series. Late 1800's, Pitt is a detective.

Silverstreak

For cosy murder mysteries I always recommend Patricia Wentworth mysteries with Maud Silver, the knitting detective. Mostly written in the 1940s and 50s, with lots of nice period detail and English village settings. You can get them now on Amazon kindle.

Advertisement