As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to ALL of our forums. ×
IGNORED

An author's gender

FloFlo

But then again I'd say that pd James and Ruth Rendell write like "women" in the sense of great characters and nuance,whereas Patricia Cornwell is rubbish.

Cornwell started out good then went downhill - I think she had a health issue from memory and the style of her writing changed dramatically.

I was just chiming in to say I enjoy crime by female writers too!

Really? I didn't know that, how interesting. Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FloFlo

• Susan StoHelit

• Sancti-claws

• MaryanneK

Top Posters In This Topic

StillFreddiesMum

There is a certain type of male writer who has absolutely NO IDEA how women think or feel or act. I have unfortunately read some books where the male author is completely clueless about a woman's life - eg " Wanda and her three beautiful children lived in an immaculate house" all the while I am thinking

"well, is Wanda happy? Is she tired? Is this what she wanted out of life? what does she feel about these three beautiful children - the male author doesn't describe the baby that doesn't sleep or the toddler that doesn't eat or the teenager running away from home" just "Wanda and her three beaufiul children".. It's worse when the male author inroduces "her husband Billy Bob" who is also totally clueless about his own wife and their three beautiful children. In the end I feel like strangling both Billy Bob and the male author !

well, is Wanda happy? Is she tired?

Wanda is probably about to have a nervous breakdown. As for the 3 beautiful children they probably turn into little monsters behind closed doors.

I prefer to suspend housework in order to read AND within the book that I am reading.

But I often balk at the ballsy single mothers who swan around - where is the three cup routine trying to ensure someone is in charge of the child, because I have lived there and, in some instances, there are logistical challenges just going to the bathroom let alone solving international espionage.

Interesting question. I don’t tend to read more of one over another, I just read what I like. I’m not sure it’s a gender thing but whether the writer is good or not. I’ve seen thin characters and well rounded ones created by both men and women. The thin ones tend to be in books written by prolific authors who seem to rush their work.

Advertisement