• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FiveAus

• Percival

• Bee Girl

• keirapep

Top Posters In This Topic

Australian Shepherds, which I breed and show. Suited because they're active, intelligent, very quick to learn when I want them to do, but also have an off switch so if we don't feel like doing much, they're content with just being with us. Also, they get along with other dogs. Aussies are lovers, not fighters and they will usually move away from conflict rather than get involved.

We also have a Finnish Lapphund. He's a lovely dog, they are sweet natured and very cuddly and fabulous with kids. However, they also bark a lot, and my second one ended up being sent back to her breeder (who co-owned her) because she was way too noisy. They are less suited to us than the Aussies but I'm glad have them in my life because the Finnish Lapphund breed community is awesome and I love being part of it.

Golden Retriever, because there's not a mean bone in their bodies. I like biggish dogs and for a big dog the retrievers' exercise needs are not as demanding as a lot of large breeds.They love everyone and love life.

We are waiting to pick up our pup just after Christmas.

However, I could have chosen any one of a number of breeds.

Pug.

I wanted a dog that doesn’t bark much, and was safe and friendly around kids because we were planning a family at the time. I also wanted something small that didn’t need a huge amount of exercise because our backyard at the time was small.

DH wanted a dog that’s cute. DH basically picked the pug, but he knew what I wanted.

Our pug has certainly ticked all the boxes. If I knew about the hair shedding though, we may have made a different choice, lol. But he has been pretty perfect for our family.

I don't have at the moment but my heart breed is Greyhounds/Whippets. Mostly because I'm lazy LOL. They're gentle, quiet and have minimal exercise needs. They shed almost nothing at all and have very little odour. I miss having my black shadow following me around the house :(

I have a dachshund. She’s fiercely loyal and super needy. She’s like a little cartoon character who follows me everywhere. She loves a long walk and snuggles on the lounge.

She’s so, so stubborn though. I naively though because I had two well behaved teenagers training a stubborn snag would be easy. Stupid, stupid me.

I love the breed but do worry about the spine issues. My husband made her a ramp for the lounge but she jumps on and off right next to it. Back to stubborn.

We have a border collie. Have had quite a few growing up and may be adopting another one today. Beautiful dogs, I love the fluffiness. Sweet, intelligent, listen well, great with other animals and kids, active. Downsides for us, which is in part poor training, barks a lot, at the ball, when people arrive. Will play ball forever. Need a lot of exercise. Will roll in smelly things if able. Not our current collie much, but when I was a kid the collie we had would round me up, she had to be put in another room when us kids played tag or she'd nip us.

We have a Labrador? cross rescue girl. We like to rescue but prefer large active smart dogs. She is the best dog I’ve ever had! Just so friendly and loves kids and other dogs, easy to train, not scared of storms etc and happy to just lie on her bed and chill when her family is out. I’d love to clone her!

We have chose a cavalier and he is just perfect for us! At times he sheds a little more than I’d like, but I really like that his energy level will match wherever ours is on a given day. If we want to go for a run/bike ride then he loves a decent run, but if we want to laze about all day then he will happily warm a lap without getting bored or destructive. He is brilliant with the kids, and has such a lovely temperament. He isn’t too bright, but that doesn’t worry me. He is house trained and social, so we don’t need him to get a scholarship to pay his own way through college!

Beagles. Because they have wonderful personalities, and love very deeply. We are a very active family so their exercise needs work well for us and we are also happy to have them with us whenever we can. A perfect fit for our family.

Susan StoHelit

We had a Labrador (since passed away). Lovely placid, friendly dog. But she also needed regular 5km runs.

Our current dog is a Bichon Frise. We wanted something smaller, and a lap / companion dog for the kids. Also a breed that’s happy with shorter walks and occasional runs at the dog park. He’s currently snuggled up next to me on the couch.

I do not have any at the moment, but we had 2 ex-racing greyhounds and they were wonderful. Very different personalities (boy was more aloof but incredibly gentle and almost bombproof, the girl was a nut who never realised she stopped being a puppy many years ago and ADORED everyone and every single thing about life) but both absolutely fabulous pets.

I will adopt one or possibly more, again in the future.

TheGreenSheep

Cavoodle. She is sweet and happy, affectionate, can stay home alone for hours and is happy when we return, loves exercising, but loves to be lazy, fits on your lap, great with everyone, melts every bodies hearts, we have since created a tribe of friends with pets since we got our girl. She’s asleep beside me ❤️❤️

I have three dogs. A Westie, an Australian Terrier and a French bulldog. All have different energy levels and completely different personalities. The frenchie is my favourite. Funniest breed ever.

Hills Mum Bec

We have a rescue Kelpie x Shepherd and a White Swiss Shepherd. We prefer bigger dogs that are smart & easy to train. Not sure that we ever put too much thought into what kind of breed would suit our lifestyle but DH has always had German Shepherds growing up. Our dogs fit in well, they live to come on holidays with us and play at the beach, they are gentle and calm with the kids & have shown nothing but absolute adoration to our family.

We have a lagotto. We wanted a no-shed, medium sized dog who was good with children. She's perfect for our family. Loves swimming in our pool with the kids and going on walks around the neighbourhood. But is also content to have a lazy day at home when we do too.

Spidey_Senses

I do not have any at the moment, but we had 2 ex-racing greyhounds and they were wonderful. Very different personalities (boy was more aloof but incredibly gentle and almost bombproof, the girl was a nut who never realised she stopped being a puppy many years ago and ADORED everyone and every single thing about life) but both absolutely fabulous pets.

I think when we get a dog we will get a rescue greyhound. It was suggested to me by a friend as a good family dog. I want a medium sized dog that is good with kids and low maintenance coat-wise. We have a big yard and we could walk it a lot. What are greyhounds like with the heat? Do they cope OK?

I think when we get a dog we will get a rescue greyhound. It was suggested to me by a friend as a good family dog. I want a medium sized dog that is good with kids and low maintenance coat-wise. We have a big yard and we could walk it a lot. What are greyhounds like with the heat? Do they cope OK?

They do feel it, because they have so little body fat & can be susceptible to heatstroke but we had ours through Black Friday and the like in 2009 here in VIC and they coped. If they're not inside with you, lots of water, a shady place to lay down and spraying them with the hose frequently or a paddling pool for them to flop in. They also really love ice blocks where you freeze treats inside.

They don't need a lot of exercise - they have quick bursts of energy so 2x20min walks a day or a walk and a play session in the backyard (both of ours enjoyed a game of fetch) is generally pretty sufficient. They are known as the 60km/h couch potatoes!

We have a lagotto. We wanted a no-shed, medium sized dog who was good with children. She's perfect for our family. Loves swimming in our pool with the kids and going on walks around the neighbourhood. But is also content to have a lazy day at home when we do too.

When I got my first Australian Shepherd, I got him from a breeder who was also a university professor who's specialty is human-animal relationships and her doctorate delved into dog breeds and explored the perfect family dog.

This is what the average family wants:

Medium sized

Non-shedding

Friendly temperament

Easy to train

And she came up with the Lagotto, a breed that was very rare in Australia at the time (15 years ago). She had a 5 month old puppy who became the foundation of her breeding program and she switched from Australian Shepherds to Lagottos.

When I got my first Australian Shepherd, I got him from a breeder who was also a university professor who's specialty is human-animal relationships and her doctorate delved into dog breeds and explored the perfect family dog.

This is what the average family wants:

Medium sized

Non-shedding

Friendly temperament

Easy to train

And she came up with the Lagotto, a breed that was very rare in Australia at the time (15 years ago). She had a 5 month old puppy who became the foundation of her breeding program and she switched from Australian Shepherds to Lagottos.

One of DH's colleagues had a lagotto from that breeder in her early days, and it was pretty easy to convince us to get that breed after we met his dog.

One of DH's colleagues had a lagotto from that breeder in her early days, and it was pretty easy to convince us to get that breed after we met his dog.

She's a very interesting person to talk to, and has very definite ideas about dog ownership. But it's been interesting lately to see that her public stance on mandatory desexing has changed markedly since I bought a puppy from her.

ClaudiaCosette

We don't have a dog (or any pets) at the moment, so this is all useful information for me in the future. Growing up, my family had a border collie cross (possibly kelpie or cattle dog) who was lovely but hyper. DH had a few dogs growing up but his favourites are labradors or golden retrievers, so that's what he's keen on for us to get.

Either would be fine with me, but we don't have a huge yard and I am leaning more towards something a bit smaller. We also have two kids who are currently terrified of dogs, even small ones! So will need to work on that before we think about getting one.

Advertisement