IGNORED

The worst thing I've ever done

la di dah

I did something so bad I can't believe it.

I am under a lot of stress and stuff but no excuse.

Yesterday I had my first ever time the aide was here for my (terminally ill) son, at the same time I a therapy talk session for myself here. And I was crying and a bit brain foggy.

And then my baby's granddad came and got him for the night and all I had in my head was I don't have to watch the baby tonight I can sleep. I exercised, I had two wines, I slept a full night.

But only this morning did I remember that as the therapist was leaving my very friendly, very dopey, very not streetwise INDOOR ONLY cat went around my ankles and out to sit on the back veranda.

That's okay I leave him for maybe ten or twenty minutes now and then he likes to lay there he never goes far, he sometimes has been out too long and comes charging back in.

I left him out all night. I don't know how long he waited to come back in.

And now I can't find him.

Oh I've done all the informed the local community lost pet FB group I've checked his microchip is up to date I've left food and water outside and dirty litter for the smell.

I know he may come back.

But he's just a big gentle lovely dumb not streetwise cat and I feel horrible.

My other cat needs to go to the vet and my partner and I were super sad about her last night and I still didn't think where's Nimbus. And the idea of going from two to none is hideous. And it being right now is just like

don't we get even at least the pets

I know I've been talking I'm lonely I'm sad I want a dog (not right this minute anyway) but I have had these cats ten and nine years, part of my settling into living in Australia. I wasn't ill-wishing them. And like can I even trust myself.

I can't believe this.

It's worse than if he got out a broken window. "It's all right" I said "I'll let him have a few minutes he never goes far"

"Oh, he's a good boy?"

He is

And he'd be so confused

I hate me

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• la di dah

• Ker

• BKK

• CrankyM

Top Posters In This Topic

La di dah, cut yourself some slack. Pretend you are talking to your friend, you’d never say any of those things to a friend.

I hope puss comes back very soon.

Oh Ladidah, please cut yourself some slack. You aren't bad or awful or any of those things. These things happen and you are under a lot of strain. Please be nice to yourself. You wouldn't say that to a friend, so you shouldn't say it to yourself. I hope he turns up very soon.

Please don’t beat yourself up, he has most likely found himself a very secure hidey hole and will eventually come out looking for food. Cats know how to find their way home.

Like others said, be kind to yourself. Mistakes happen, even when people are not under the stress levels you are experiencing.

One hint I've heard is to wait until early morning and stand in your yard gently calling cat's name and tapping food tin. Also, ask neighbours with sheds to check he hasn't been locked inside. Our neighbour's cat was found inside our yard shed, luckily none the worse for wear.

I've spoken to a lady on the block and I'll get a couple of the others later today. Next door on one side they have a staffy in the yard (nice dog) and I'm hoping my idiot cat would not try to go in there. He's also not much of a fence scaler.

On the other next door they hate me and I'm not sure saying he's mine would increase his chances of survival. I'm actually really scared to ask them for anything.

He's still gone but I'm hoping he's sleeping under a shrub somewhere and will be back in the evening.

I'm taking the other cat to the vet today so maybe walking her screaming self through the neighbourhood will draw him out. (They love each other)

I've got some local people swearing they'll keep an eye out and they walk dogs locally so maybe they'll flush his pudgy body out.

I checked the storm drains and he didn't cry and normally he's keen to cry to get his way all the time.

My cat got out one day and a dog spooked her, she disappeared for 10 days. I was sure she was permanently gone and then she reappeared, 10 years later she’s currently sitting on my lap.

Cats like their homes, hopefully your Nimbus (who if I remember correctly appeared in your life as a little lost kitten?) finds his way back quickly. And regardless of the outcome, go easy on yourself. The stress you must be under at the moment I can’t even imagine

Don’t give up. Like Minty Biscuit we had a cat go missing for well over a week and came back with no issues. Cats are cats, your boy will likely be back after his adventure soon.

Our cat escaped a couple of years ago and got out onto the road one evening. She was going blind (we didn’t know this at the time) and she got disorientated. I was distraught and thought we had lost her forever.

Fortunately, a lovely couple up the road saw her, picked her up and took her to the vet the next morning. They didn’t know she was ours as she was an inside cat but the vet called us the next morning. Can you call any local vets to see if he was handed in to them?

Put his litter tray outside (used litter tray) they can smell their own scent which can sometimes help them to find their own way home again.

Praying your baby is waiting at the door for you soon

My 14 year old mostly indoor girl decided to go off for a 4 day adventure into the wilderness.

We had just lost some sheep to wild dogs and at 14 years old during winter I thought there was no chance after she failed to return the first night.

One of my sons found her sitting on the BBQ by the back door and she acted as though we were weird for making a fuss of her.

I really hope your furry friend comes home soon safe and sound. They really can surprise you.

ClaudiaCosette

We once had a cat who went missing for probably 6 months, so of course we had given up all hope. And then she turned up, looking pretty skinny but otherwise healthy (this was pre-microchip days, and she didn't have her collar on when she came back so had probably slipped out of it). Cats are pretty resourceful. I hope yours will turn up fine very soon!

LDD, this is not your fault. And its not like you put him out on purpose! He won't hate you. He'll come home and wonder what all the fuss is.

And what's wrong with Grue???

If he is still not back tonight, I’ve heard that going for walk around 2ish with a bit of their dry food can sometimes bring them out

ETA I mean 2am not the afternoon

LDD, this is not your fault. And its not like you put him out on purpose! He won't hate you. He'll come home and wonder what all the fuss is.

And what's wrong with Grue???

Lost stacks of weight in a fortnight whilst still eating, lost coordination, gone a bit weird acting.

Had the vet visit today. Extremely anaemic, had two vitamin shots. They said either it's a flea thing (which we're treating today) and treatment and the vitamin shots fix it, or it's untreatable leukaemia.

We'll know in about a week whether she's plumping back up or not.

Another one who’s cat went missing for 2 weeks and was found alive and well a few streets away. Don’t give up hope, fingers crossed for you that Nimbus returns home soon 🤞

Jersey Caramel

Are there any access points to space under your house? Our indoor cat went missing and I searched the neighborhood for ages. Turns out she was under the house the whole time. Now we know that's where she goes if she gets outside, we can usually coax her out with food. Good luck!

I hope he’s turned up for you. And I hope the shots help Grue.

My best friends cat disappeared. She was about 6 at the time. She turned up again 8 years later and they had her for another 5 years.

Advertisement